4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Relationships

Old 07-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Tiramisu

Online dating or fostering children?!

So, most of you only have second hand knowledge of this, but I checked out Christian ingles.com and was surprised at how many guys are on there. Problem is that I can't see myself ever dating again. One of my co-workers, Rudy, who was my boss for awhile a couple years back, is single now and we've talked about hanging out, but definitely just as buds.

I'm thinking very seriously about going to an information meeting next week on fostering children. My kids so no, but my heart says do it. My sis has fostered for almost 30 years and adopted 4 of them. I'm crazy.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

NO! you are not crazy!!! Go with your heart - for sure. I can' t EVER see myself dating again, nope don't think that will ever happen. But if your heart says so, I'd say go for it. I think it is so wonderful when people take care of foster children. I could never do that, I just don't have the patience or temperment. But goodness knows, someone needs to reach out to those kids! You'll make the right decision.

Oh! And of COURSE, there are lots of men on the dating service thing - they can't get along without a women. HA! I think however, a woman can get along JUST FINE without a man! (just my opinion).
Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Sandy, I have to agree with Gayle on all points!

My great-aunt fosters children. Some of these kids are in such horrible condition when they come to her. One was born to a heroin-addicted mother, and the baby was addicted itself, and my aunt had to give the baby morphine and wean her off it. She gave the baby a chance at a better life, because she would not be alive otherwise. One of her fosters, nicknamed "Lucky" was born with heart problems and had to have open heart surgery within days of being born. He survived. My aunt fostered him for 3 years, and then his mother came back and wanted to take him. I think she was able to do that if he wasn't adopted by some point. So, my aunt adopted him. She couldn't stand to see him go back to a mother who could not care for him.

Her husband passed away and like you, she didn't want to date again. She had her own little foster family, and grown children and grandchildren as well. She spent a lot of time in Mexico with her sister. Then, she met a man down there and a couple of years later, they were married! He lives up here now and they're a happy family together.

I think you just need to follow your heart and happiness will find you eventually!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Tiramisu

Wow, I was so afraid you'd all tell me to live a good single life. I'll go to the meeting and make my decisions. Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Sandy....I think it would be nice to have foster children, but I no longer have the patience I'm afraid. I do want to offer one bit of advice that I've always remembered.... to not do anything after a life changing event such as a death, divorce..etc. for 6 months to a year. It made a lot of sense to me and I've always remembered it. Just something to think about.

If it's what's in your heart...then you'd be great at it.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #6
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Good for you Sandy! Put your toe in all of the waters! You will know what is best for you, and it is wonderful that you are beginning your life as a divorced woman! It can be very exciting to start over, especially when you have life experience and wisdom!

Follow your instincts!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote