4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
2tiredmom

Hunting widow's

Are there any deer hunting widows here? Our gun season just started this weekend. I have been married to my husband 19 years and this is only the 2nd
time that I have not gone out hunting. Needless to say this year I haven't missed it. But I do love to be out there weather I get a deer or not just to watch mother nature. It's so peaceful and beautiful.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
The boys are out hunting too. I didn't want Ricky to, but I don't want to not let him go, just because I wouldn't go. I love watching them and on the bus route always point out the deer to the kids. I bet we see at least 15 or more of a morning. It just depends and we see them all through the route.

It makes me sad that they are killed, but I know a lot of people that do hunt. I think the last time I went hunting was rabbit hunting. I was out at the in-laws and had my sights on a rabbit, just as I pulled the trigger, it turned and looked at me and then my father-in-law (trying to be funny) said "oh no....that was my favorite one."

I cleaned the rabbit at the flowershop and then took it home. The next night I fried it all up, had mashed potatoes and good ole rabbit gravy and invited Mom out. I took one bite and got sick. I just couldn't stop seeing the rabbit turn and look at me. So...that was the last time and it was probably 20-25 years ago...maybe longer than that...I don't know.

I know you guys eat the meat, but the venison just doesn't taste good to me. I bet it sure helps with the grocery bill though huh?
Old 11-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I have never hunted. Growing up in NYC, there are no live animals to hunt anyway. It's way easier to hunt down a McDonalds.

Our hunting season started today too. I've seen a lot of deer lately. I guess people will be eating well this winter. My feelings about hunting are not reality based living up here. I just keep my mouth shut and hope that it helps people to have enough food for the winter.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
I have never hunted. Growing up in NYC, there are no live animals to hunt anyway. It's way easier to hunt down a McDonalds.

Our hunting season started today too. I've seen a lot of deer lately. I guess people will be eating well this winter. My feelings about hunting are not reality based living up here. I just keep my mouth shut and hope that it helps people to have enough food for the winter.
Like you Judy I agree, I see deers from time to time for humans have invaded their habitat. Sad .. at night when I go down dark roads I am always afraid to hit one.. I have seen a few killed on the road....

Janet I don't think I could eat rabbit, my parents liked it growing up in the country.. I guess it is what you get used to...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

My hubby and sil went hunting this weekend, but didn't shoot anything. I go some also, but not as much as them. Our season goes from Nov. 1 to the end of January - so they have plenty of opportunities.

Janet, venison is GREAT - the key to good venison is how you handle it just after it is shot. My husband's father working in a meat packing plant all his life and my hubby knows how to properly field dress and process venison meat. Our venison tastes fantastic. And believe me, I have had the stinky awful tasting venison my brother in law used to have - NASTY!

We grind some up for hamburger - we have tenderloin, we cut some up for chicken fried steaks and then we have some made into summer sausage. Our freezer is always stocked with venison and I never have to buy beef - although I do buy a beef roast from time to time.

My mom was just like you -said she didn't like venison because all she had was my brother in law's nasty stuff - so I had to really coax her to try my hubby's. She's now a convert and cannot wait for the first meal of tenderloin or chicken fry!

Oh, I do hunt occasionally, but I really prefer to watch the deer from the stand! My 12 year old granddaughter got her first deer when she was 9.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #6
2tiredmom

Gayle thanks for that. We have a freezer full of deer and it's like you said it's the way it's done. And the way you cook it. We also buy other meat pork and some beef like steaks but other than that we eat what we kill. It does help with the food bill.