4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Zoe's Ears

My little Zoe has had ear problems since Aug. '08. We have taken her to the vet several times. Our vet clinic has three vets and she's seen each of them about her ears. All have said that there is nothing wrong. She may have a little allergy or something. They have given her steroid shots, steroid ear drops and antibiotic ear drops. We've spent over $500, and her ears are no better. They told us to use Benedryl twice a day. The steroid shot did help for about a week and the drops help when we use them, but you aren't supposed to use them every day. The Benedryl didn't seem to do a thing. Right now we are using the drops every day. When we run out, we call the vet and ask for more. At first they said we had to see the vet first and I said no, all three tell us the same thing, that there is nothing wrong, give us some drops and charge $150. We can get a bottle of the drops for about $20.

Her ears itch, especially the left one, and she has scratching fits and cries out like they really hurt.

Now the hair on her back is falling out, and short black hair is growing in it's place. Chase had this same thing happen to his hair when he had kidney problems and almost died. We think the hair loss is due to stress. So Zoe must be really stressed. This ear issue has definitely affected her personality.

I've tried ear cleaning produces from PetSmart, made drops from vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

I'm posting in case anyone has experienced anything like this and has any ideas. A new vet clinic opened nearby recently, I've thought of going and getting yet another opinion. I've also thought of going to a feed store that carries veteranary itmes and ask them if they have any ideas.

Don't know what to do. My poor baby needs help and the vets aren't solving the problem. I feel like Haley with Micah's ear issues. I know Zoe is just a dog, so it's not the same thing as if she were my child, but really wish we could find a long term solution.

I would post on YorkieTalk, and have searched threads over there. But not sure anyone would have any real constructive input. Your thoughts?
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gosh Marilyn, that's really the pits! I don't have any knowledge of ear issues, clearly Zoe has one. I'm hoping that someone figures out what might be going on. It is so frustrating when something is wrong and no one can find out why/what it is. If it is stress, maybe an anti-anxiety med would help. I would definitely go to the new vet - even though it might be futile, I'd have to try.

Good luck and I am sorry!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Does anything come out of her ears when you clean them? Layla used to have terrible problems with her ears, and came to me with severe yeast infections in both at 10 weeks old. She would scratch so hard she was scabbed and bleeding. Try putting cotton swabs in her ears and swiping down deep... yellow wax is healthy, brownish means there's an infection. IF the problem is an infection in her ears, chances are she has a food allergy. Layla's would always be recurring. After vet visits and medication, it would get worse again.

Did the vets do swabs?

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Does Zoe have dry skin? Reuger scratches a lot, even around his ears. I had him on Science Diet for dry skin and he was doing great but the last time we bought dog food they had the huge sack of regular Science Diet on sale so we bought that. He started scratching like crazy and at first I didn't realize what was causing it but now I realize that it's his food. You might check into something like that especially since they aren't finding out anything with her ears. When Reuger's scratching really bad I give him some children's liquid Benedryl. It really helps. Good luck!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
paula1961

So sorry about Zoe Marilyn. I haven't experience the ear problem but I certainly have with the hair on one of mine. I took her to the vet and they said it was most likely a food allergy. They said to only feed her lamb and rice food. She doesn't seem to have near the problem that she did before. Believe me I have tried supplements of all kinds and nothing seems to work completely but the food does seem to help. Hope you get a solution soon and if you do please post and let us know.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I would probably check on the forums, but I think you'll probably get a lot of them telling you to change foods.