4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Smile Our PennyGirl

Penny is our Golden Retriever and she turned 11 years old this past June. I've had her on Glucosamine for quite some time now, but her rear legs are getting worse. There isn't a whole lot we can, but I am going to get with our Vet...maybe there is some kind of cortisone shot that would help her. She has a very hard time getting up on her rear legs, but once she is up...she does pretty good. Most of the time one of us will lift her back-end up for her.

She still has a happy look on her face and can still walk around outside and wag her tail. It makes me so sad to think her end time is getting near. Here are a few pictures I took of her in September.

009.jpg 020.jpg
Old 11-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I hope the vet has something that can help Penny. She's such a sweet dog. It's so hard to watch them go downhill.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

What a beautiful, sweet face!! I hope you can keep her comfortable for a long, long time!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Janet

Thank you. It just breaks my heart to see her in pain or discomfort. Penny is such a sweetheart. I've just always called her PennyGirl. I will be calling the Vet in the morning to see if there is anything he might suggest to help her.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I'm sorry to hear Penny is going through hard times. Glad your keeping her as comfortble as possible. My boy sends her lot's of licks.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Janet, she is beautiful and has such a happy face! I had a Schnauzer who had the same hip problem. I controlled it with glucosamine and he did well, but at times, like you, I had to help him up. He never acted like he was in a great deal of pain and he got sick and died before it got really bad. I know what you mean though, the thought of him suffering would have been too much to take.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Janet

The Vet gave me something called PhyCox. I guess other patients have said it works wonders so we are going to give it a try. If she ever acts in pain or has really bad days....I can get a prescription med, but he doesn't want her taking it everyday. So..I'll just help her when she needs help and keep trying the PhyCox for the time being.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I hope it continues to work for her - she sure is a sweetie!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

How good that the vet has some solutions for Penny! She is so sweet looking. I know you will give her everything she can possibly need.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
paula1961

Does the new med seem to be helping Penny? She does have such a happy face. I hope all is well with her Janet.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
Janet

Not so much yet, but it's only been a couple of days. I hope it does...she just doesn't get up unless I make her to go potty. Last night I got her up and she walked into the family room and her back end fell to the ground. Got her up again and then we went outside. I walked with her around the house for a bit and she did good. She needs to be up more to loosen up the joints I think...or well it kind of makes sense from a non-medical point of view. She doesn't seem to be in any kind of pain at all. My Vet tech says even if it hurts, most of the time we won't know it because they usually don't 'cry' out or anything.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
paula1961

Janet, we had a dog that acted like Penny. He was also a big breed, an austrailian shepherd mix. When he was about 10 yrs old, I ordered some joint meds from foster and smith, we couldn't believe how it helped him to move again. It was wonderful. He lived to be about 15. I can't remember the name of what we gave him but it was for joints. I'll look it up for ya. It wasn't too expensive and just worked so good for him. It's all natural too, no chemicals and no prescription necessary either. I'll let you know what the name of it is.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
Janet

Thanks Paula....that would be great.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
paula1961

Janet, go to drsfostersmith.com and look at joint products for senior dogs. I went to the website and found several things that you might be interested in for Penny. They are not too expensive and they really do work. Keep us posted.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #15
Janet

Thanks Paula....I'll do that. I'm beginning to think/see that the PhyCox the Vet suggested, may be helping some.