4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

What a day!!!!

Yesterday was the worst and best day of my life.

Yesterday I was 14 weeks and 1 day pregnant, and I had some light spotting when I woke up, so I went to my family doctor. She told me to go straight to emergency. So I picked up Scott and we went to emergency. As usual, it was busy, because too many people use emergency as their regular doctor So we got there at 11:30. I waited in a waiting room until 3:00 when I had blood taken. They told me it would be an hour and a half for results, so I'd see a doctor after that. I got a bed and a room at 6:00. I changed into a hospital gown, and waited.

Around 7:00, the emergency doctor came in. She did an internal exam and told me there was a mass on my cervix. She asked if I normally have that. I said no. She said then, the best she can assume is that it's my cervix opening and I am beginning to miscarry. OMG I did NOT expect that. I burst out in tears. Scott was strong for me the whole time but I couldn't stop crying. The doctor said she was calling down a gynecologist to take another look. In the meantime, she wanted me hooked to an IV. So I got my very first IV, and waited for the gynecologist. She came down after about an hour, and did another exam. By this time I was gushing blood. I was barely spotting in the morning, and nothing all afternoon, but now I could feel it pouring out. I just kept crying. The gynecologist said my cervix was closed, but my uterus is prolapsed, meaning my muscles aren't holding it up in my body cavity and it's descending downwards. I asked if that could be normal, and she said no. I was still crying. She tried to find a heartbeat on Doppler, because it should be easy at 14 weeks, but there was no heartbeat.

I cried and cried and cried. I told myself I had to accept it. Scott and I just sat there together and tried to make sense of everything. Two doctors just said I'd likely be miscarrying, and I just had to wait for an ultrasound to confirm the baby wasn't alive. The radiology department was busy so I had to wait and wait. My eyes were so red and puffy, I could barely keep them open. I was trying to think of ways to "untell" everyone we told about the pregnancy, and how would I face our room full of baby stuff and know it was done?

Finally, a man came to wheel my bed to radiology. I went straight into the room and met the tech. I was still crying. She started the ultrasound and IMMEDIATELY there was my baby, kicking and waving and doing somersaults!!!! It was SO active! At one point, it flipped over and we saw its cute little butt! It had a strong healthy heartbeat of 161, and it measured 15 weeks 1 day (it should have been 14 weeks, 1 day) so it is growing at what I call "Scott rate"!!!! It was the most amazing thing to see! I was crying happy tears!!!!

The doctors weren't able to tell me why I was bleeding, but I am seeing my obstetrician today and hopefully she can give me some answers. I'm worried that my trip to New Orleans next week might be an issue, and my coworkers are telling me she'll likely put me on bed rest because of the prolapsed uterus. I'm so worried about all of that. I am so happy that my baby is okay but so worried about what's happening to me.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
DIANE W

Oh Lindsey.............. i read all of that without breathing, phewwwwwwww, goodness you must have been terrified going through all of that, i am so glad the little one was oblivious to all the stress she/he was causing.

It may well mean complete bedrest for you, when i was in hospital 27 long long years ago having my daughter Kayley..... there were a few mums to be, that had difficulties and had to spend many months in hospital waiting the birth. I am sure things are different now, but you will do whatever it takes, thats just something we do.

Please rest up and keep us posted on how you all are wont you?

Thinking of you..... god bless.

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Shada

I am praying for you Lindsey ~~~
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I too hold my breath until I sped and read till the end. OMG, how scary.

I am so happy that baby is kicking and twirling inside. You know that butterball is going to be very active.

I know a little blood is ok but alot of blood is scary and dangerous. Prolapse uterus is common but I've only seen it in older women and normally due to baring many children.

Bed rest Lyndsey. Don't worry about anybody or anything.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

So I felt sick yesterday until I got to the OB's office. She came into the room and asked how I was and I said "Okay" and she asked why just okay. I told her I'd been in emergency the night before (she didn't have the report yet) and that I was worried about what was happening to me. I told her the gynecologist said I had a prolapsed uterus and I didn't know what to expect. She asked if my mom had any history of prolapse and I said no. She asked if I felt it falling, because most women get a sensation of things moving out of place. I said no, nothing feels different at all! She told me it would be weird for me to have a prolapse at my age, never giving birth before, and no genetic history of prolapse.

So, she did another exam and said it looked normal. She had me "push down" and there wasn't much movement - it was normal. Everything is where it should be! She didn't know why they thought I had a prolapsed uterus, because I DON'T! Wonderful news!!!!!! I had a huge sigh of relief!

Then she brought out the Doppler and I warned her they couldn't find a heartbeat the night before. She said that's weird, at 14 weeks it should be easy to hear. I told her they said that too, and then told me I was probably having a miscarriage. She said "Oh my gosh, you had an awful night!!!!" I told her we thought we were losing the baby for about 3 hours until that ultrasound! Anyways, she couldn't find the heartbeat either, and asked me to go empty my bladder because sometimes it can push on the baby and make it harder to find the heartbeat. So I did, and she came back and tried again. As soon as she touched my skin, it was RIGHT THERE! I heard the heartbeat for the first time!!!! It was amazing!

So at the end of it all, I asked if I can still fly to New Orleans next week. She said sure, no problem! Have fun! And she told me to just live my life like normal because everything is normal!!!!

I can't believe all the stress I went through with the emergency department!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
DIANE W

That is wonderful news Lindsey, really happy for you both, so now you can stop worrying a bit and look forward.

Its a shame you had to go through all that stress..... at least the outcome is positive.

Try to have a nice time.

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Are those people just crazy??? I can't believe the mental anguish they put you through for nothing! I'm so HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY that everything is ok!! Whew! Lindsey, you have truly been touched by the healing hand of God
Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I know!!! I can't believe I had to go through all that! They told me to see my OB next week, but I'm glad I went to see her yesterday. Otherwise, I'd still be worried sick!

I really think that the ER doctor irritated something when she did my pelvic exam. When she started, I had no bleeding, and then all of a sudden I was gushing blood and it was SO PAINFUL! My legs were shaking the whole time and Scott said he could see how much it hurt on my face! So maybe by the time the gynecologist came, I was really swollen or something. There was a LOT of blood. So maybe that's why she thought something was wrong. When she was examining me, it felt like a knife stabbing me from the inside

Either way, I am so flipping excited that my life is back to normal! I told Scott yesterday to say some prayers that life could be the same as it was a few days earlier. I never thought there was a hope of that actually happening! Just like I had lost all hope the day before that we'd see a live baby on that ultrasound. We've had two big (positive) shocks in the last couple of days and I couldn't be happier!

Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
So sorry that you had to go through all that, but glad you're doing great now.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

When I was pregnant I didn't have much money but I did buy those device to listen to my babies heartbeat. I'm sure they are more advance now. Can't find the one I had but here's what i found online.

If you have an iPhone

http://www.mybabysbeat.com/

or to buy a doppler

http://www.fetaldoppler.net/

To keep you more at ease.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

A few months ago, there was a doppler on Groupon for really cheap and I'm kind of mad I didn't buy it lol! Unfortunately, shipping things to Canada from the USA gets pretty expensive, so I think I'm just going to deal with hearing the heartbeat every 4 weeks at my OB appointments! Now that I know the baby is alive and kicking, there's a very very tiny chance of miscarriage for the rest of the pregnancy.