4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #16
katepoet

I've just worked on a few with a student tied to criminal justice. How about the way mandatory minimum sentencing is taking a lot of our young men and women and putting them in jail - creating permanent records - for possession of half a joint of marijuana? It's creating a new culture. Now children visit their parents in jail. The parents get screwed up by the jail culture and have to re-integrate when they come out. It's pretty tough.

Also, how does living in a women's shelter hidden from an abusive father affect children's emotional development?

If you search with google, use their google scholar search tool to get papers you can cite from - http://scholar.google.com/schhp?hl=en
katepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #17
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm well into researching and just beginning to write my paper now. I chose to write it on emotional abuse. I'm still waiting for a few articles to be delivered to our campus library before I'll know what treatment method I'm focusing on, but they will be here within three days. I've already found great sources for specifically defining the problem and describing the effects of the abuse on the child and family. I think the treatment methodology I'll be focusing on will be play therapy which is focused on increasing resilience. I just need a few good sources to back it up.

Thanks for the advice about Google Kate, but I don't usually use Google for scholarly journals because most of the links just give you an abstract and you have to pay for access to the full article. I use our online library from our campus website which breaks down into categories, one which is only journals concerning child welfare. I use a different one for my other courses which only contains social work journals. It makes the research process much faster and provides more reliable information.

Anyway, that's probably more than anyone wanted to know, but almost every bit of my spare time recently has been spent working on this, so it's a pretty big deal to me and I wanted to keep you updated since everyone had such great suggestions.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
katepoet

I usually find enough that are free through that search but even finding jstor and other paying sites leads me to which ones my students should look for in the library.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #19
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by katepoet
I usually find enough that are free through that search but even finding jstor and other paying sites leads me to which ones my students should look for in the library.
JSTOR is one of the ones I can get through my school website. It's pretty helpful, but I like the layout and search features for the one I've been using. You know what they say, people hate change...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
Old 10-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #20
AngieDoogles

Actually, I do have a random question for you Kate (or anyone else who might now). Are you familiar with the Illiad program for getting articles that are not immediately available online due to the site "obtaining copyright permission"?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #21
katepoet

No - this is a great idea. I wonder how it's working. http://www.oclc.org/illiad/
Have you used it?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #22
AngieDoogles

I used it yesterday for the first time to request a specific article. I was going to ask if they gave it to you online or if it just has a nearby library send it to my library. It gave no instructions on how to find it once it gets to me so I don't know if I'm just supposed to go ask a librarian or what... I couldn't find any information in their "help" section about delivery methods...
Old 10-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #23
katepoet

I'll try it later today and see if I can figure it out - I was wondering about the same thing. Did you have to register with your email address?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #24
AngieDoogles

Quote:
I'll try it later today and see if I can figure it out - I was wondering about the same thing. Did you have to register with your email address?
Nope. All I have to do to access any of the programs on our school's site is enter my ID and password. It's pretty convenient.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #25
katepoet

So if no email I wonder how they reach you.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #26
AngieDoogles

Quote:
So if no email I wonder how they reach you.
Well, I'm sure they know the email associated with the ID. The ID is the same as the email just without the @ information. It works that way for all students.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #27
katepoet

I wonder if I can use it - I have to write right now - paid work! - but I will try it when I am done.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #28
highlans

I have just been watching nannie 911 on tv, mum step dad and three rude and unruley kids, step dad was good with them but mum would not cuddle or give them any kinda love so they were all craveing for affection hence became rude to gain her attention be it shouting and teaseing her kids. Even at the end of the program mum did not think she was doing wrong, the children were rude to nannie at the begining but once she showed them love they came round to her and treated her with respect. Nannie told the mum that if she did not treat them with love and affection then it would become a cycle for them to treat there children with out love.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #29
katepoet

I do find the nanny shows interesting. I see people I have known in the habits of these dysfunctional families. It is great that it makes people stop, take the time and do the work to change. It's funny - some of the dysfunctional friends watch and exclaim, but never see themselves in it.

(Of course, I never see myself, either! I am, after all, so perfect! lol)
Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #30
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

That's a very interesting topic Angie. My mother was emotionally abusive. It certainly leaves scars! It did make me very compassionate towards my students though.
Every cloud has a silver lining.

I teach a course on how to write a research paper at a nearby community college.
My students usually don't go into looking for references to the point you are.
I'm happy when they use the CUNY library database instead of Google. Many are very hard-working though, but haven't been taught that kind of work ethic. I'm not paid enough to start teaching them once they're already in college!

I have a lot of immigrants, adults returning to school, and NYC educated young people. I have to be lenient - they just haven't been taught the skills when they should have been.

Your paper will be wonderful, I'm sure.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote