4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 05-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
janc

Baby guineas (keets)

I bought 3 little babies Tues. They are buff colored and so cute. It's amazing how ugly they are as adults. Our friends bought 3 blue babies. I didn't know there were blue guineas. I'd love to have some peacocks but they are very expensive- even the eggs are.
We had an above ground pool put in during the last week. Do you think it will ever warm up enough to go in it? The water is brown because of the iron in our well water. Hope it clears up with the chemicals.
My younger daughter turned 30 today. She's up at 6,000 ft. on the big island (Hawaii) right now doing maneuvers. (Army) We're going to see her Wed. after next. She jumped out of a plane last week. She's got lots more guts than I do.
I hope ya'll are doing well and don't have bad weather today. It's lookin' bad down in AL.
janc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thqt was a lot of information! You must be so proud of your daughter.

What is a tues and a blue guinea? Are they birds?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I think she meant she bought them on Tues(day)... Sorry Judy, really I am, but that just struck me so funny! AND the guineas are really ugly birds..foul..whatever.

We just took our above ground pool down last summer. Too much work. It stays pretty clean for a couple years, but then the well water kind of takes over because you have to keep adding water throughout the summer. We ended up having it trucked in. My 17 y/o son and I hadn't been in it for two years so it was time to say goodbye to the work and the expense. Anyway...I'm so glad to have it gone, but I hope you enjoy yours.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
janc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I think she meant she bought them on Tues(day)... Sorry Judy, really I am, but that just struck me so funny! AND the guineas are really ugly birds..foul..whatever.

We just took our above ground pool down last summer. Too much work. It stays pretty clean for a couple years, but then the well water kind of takes over because you have to keep adding water throughout the summer. We ended up having it trucked in. My 17 y/o son and I hadn't been in it for two years so it was time to say goodbye to the work and the expense. Anyway...I'm so glad to have it gone, but I hope you enjoy yours.
Yeah, Janet, I thought about the work with the pool. We're also filling it with pond water but had to get it in quick before the wind came and messed up the liner. That's why we used the well water too. We will be refilling with just pond water. We are retired so have a little more time and the temp in the summer gets up in the 100's which I find quite unbearable! And yes, they are fowl but I do forget and call them birds!
Old 05-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post

Tuesday! Okay, so the Tuesdays aren't birds, but the guineas are. Are they pets? Do you eat them?

I live an apartment in Brooklyn. I have to claim ignorance here.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
Tuesday! Okay, so the Tuesdays aren't birds, but the guineas are. Are they pets? Do you eat them?

I live an apartment in Brooklyn. I have to claim ignorance here.
don't feel bad. i live in Tennessee and i was picturing guinea pigs... i am lost on this one as well.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
pope1982

Count me in as one of the confused ones as well
pope1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Okay...here ya go...

Guinea.jpg
Old 05-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

We have a neighbor that has guineas but I've never seen the little ones and I didn't know that there are blue ones! That's cool!

Your daughter is to be commended for all of her hard work and bravery. I image that jumping out of a plane was no easy task! Tell her "Thank you" for me!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
janc

Guineas are kept by many people because they eat ticks, insects, etc. Ticks are a big problem here in TN. They can eat up to 10,000 ticks a day. They are happy roosting in trees at night and they eat ticks, insects, etc. from dawn to dusk. Guineas that roost in trees usually don't live a long time because of predators such as hawks and owls. They are fairly stupid and they make a loud noise when a visitor comes to the house or they see a hawk. Just yesterday I heard them carrying on and looked up in the sky and there was a hawk. My guineas until recently free ranged (walked around all day eating ticks, etc.) and at dusk flew iover the fence and nto the hen house yard and then walked into the hen house. They then flew up to their roost which is about 6 ft. high. When nesting season started I put netting across the top of the fenced in yard area to keep them inside. The female who lays her eggs out in the woods or out in the open is probably going to be killed by a predator. The male guards her during the day but flies back to the hen house at night. I didn't want to lose my female so by putting the netting up over the fenced in yard they can go nowhere. They are not happy and I have gotten no eggs so far. They can lay through Aug. so there is still time. I hope I have explained things better for you.
Janet, thanks for the picture of the guinea. Too bad there isn't a video of them walking.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Well, that is so cool. They debugify your land. Christie Brinkley had special hens imported from France to debugify her land. She obviously didn't know about Tuesdays!