4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > The Positive Forum!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Passionfruition

Keeping a Contentment Journal

Recently, I read what is now one of my favorite books of all time: "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert"Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert

At first, I started noting to myself my favorite quotes. But truly, there are too many to count!!!

One of the many ideas and pieces of advice I was inspired to begin through reading this book is what she calles a "Contentment Journal". She says, looking back in the past, she has only kept a journal when she's miserable...only to write about the more negative aspects of life.

WHAT IF you, at the end of each day, just wrote down one thing--one sentence--mentioning the happiest moment of your day? (No matter how small! It can be anywhere from "how the sun felt on my shoulders as I walked outside to check the mail" to "how hard I laughed when my friend so-and-so said such-and-such".)

I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now, and I find myself during the day, thinking, "hmm, is THIS the moment I'll mention in my journal tonight?" I don't write much...just one sentence, usually. That's it, easy peasy! And often it takes less than a minute!!!!

Off the top of my head, I can't tell you what I was doing last Tuesday, or what made that ONE day out my life special....but now thanks to keeping this journal, I can look back on my everyday life and appreciate each day more fully.

(a quote

"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You have to fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it.
You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings.

And once you achieve a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it, you must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it...

It's easy enough to pray when you're in distress but continuing to pray even when your crisis has passed is like a sealing process, helping your soul hold tight to its good attainments."

- Elizabeth Gilbert, "Eat, Pray, Love"

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

Last edited by Passionfruition; 12-18-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Passionfruition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I have that book Val, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I get in these moods where I read all the time and then don't open a book for a few months....I'm in the latter at the moment..lol.

The author was on Oprah early in the season and I liked her. Afterwards, there was quite the controversary over the book, but I just don't remember what it was.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Passionfruition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I have that book Val, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I get in these moods where I read all the time and then don't open a book for a few months....I'm in the latter at the moment..lol.

The author was on Oprah early in the season and I liked her. Afterwards, there was quite the controversary over the book, but I just don't remember what it was.
I HIGHLY recommend reading it. It's a pretty easy read, I think. It gives you a lot to think about and relate to. (Or at least it does me!) I haven't heard about the controversy, but I am guessing it's because it's one of the most personal accounts she could have written about herself. It takes a certain type of person to be willing to put every detail of their personal life "out there" like that. But hey, it made her rich! Haha!

Hmm...would you be willing to put your most personal of details of your whole life in a book if you knew it would be a worldwide bestseller and you'd make millions?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss
Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
LOLOL...I've already put it all on 4WT....LOLOL. Dummy me!!!!

I will definitely put it at the top of my list to read.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Passionfruition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
LOLOL...I've already put it all on 4WT....LOLOL. Dummy me!!!!

I will definitely put it at the top of my list to read.
Hahaha, that's funny - I didn't think of that! That's great! hehe.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I love this book! It's just so inspiring, it makes you want to go out there and live the best life you can
I've done something similar to the "Contentment Journal", but usually when I'm down, I'm down about something about ME, so when I was still a teen, every few entries in my journal I'd make sure to write when I was in a good mood and I'd list all the things I love about myself. And it seems so little, but even having the worst day ever and reading back on those entries makes a huge difference

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That's a really nice idea, Val. I may have to try that one. Thanks for sharing!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Haven't heard of the book, but the Contentment Journal sounds like a really great idea. Your thoughts on how during the day you are thinking of what will go in your journal for that day seem really enlightening. I may just give it a try. Thank you for sharing this!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Lyn

[QUOTE=Passionfruition;84204]Recently, I read what is now one of my favorite books of all time: "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert"Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert
WHAT IF you, at the end of each day, just wrote down one thing--one sentence--mentioning the happiest moment of your day? (No matter how small! It can be anywhere from "how the sun felt on my shoulders as I walked outside to check the mail" to "how hard I laughed when my friend so-and-so said such-and-such".)

I haven't read the book either but really love this idea, especially where it is the first day of the New Year! What a positive way to begin the new year! As I write this, I am staring at the tiny shelf where, I have a collection of my Grandmother's daily diaries, which I inherited when she passed. Remember the little key-lock diaries (perhaps they still make them)? Well I have a collection of hers dating back to 1940----so awesome to read...just a couple of lines each day about her life: "got my hair done today", "went to see a movie" etc. etc. They mean a lot to me....and my mother (her daughter) was going to throw them away!

Anyway, don't mean to hi-jack your thread but just want to say "Thank-You" for sharing such a great idea....one that is staring me right in the face!!!
Happy New Year!!