4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

New family members

Everyone, meet our new fur-kids

These little guys were in bad shape and dropped off at a vet's office in my mom's home town, and then never claimed. The vet contacted a rescue in my city and that's where they went. They were both very badly matted and terrified of people.

The female, named Isadore at the rescue, is probably 8-10 years old according to the vet they saw. She had terrible teeth. The foster mom said she was feeding her a treat, and a molar fell right out into her hand. It was totally black and neon green. She had a dental done and is left with just three teeth left in her mouth, the poor girl. She was badly infected but is better now after antibiotics.

As if that weren't enough, she was also very lumpy and they were sure she had cancer. They removed mammary tumors which were tested and ended up being benign. She seems to have been used hard for breeding Her front legs also sort of point in to each other when she walks, which is a little weird but does not seem painful to her.

She is still timid around people but her spirit is not broken. She gets scared when someone is walking towards her, but if we're at her level and speaking softly, she perks up and even wags her tail. When the treats came out, she was spinning in circles for them! She spent most of her time in her kennel on our visit, but when we got her out, she fell asleep in both my arms and Scott's. She is such a little sweetheart, and I know she will get better when she sees all people aren't bad!

The male bichon cross (I think he looks like a maltese!), Kash, was not in as bad of shape. He also had bad teeth, but ended up just having to lose his front teeth. He has them all from the canines back. The vet thought he was 7 or 8 but we think he's much younger. He has a lot of energy, although he still likes to curl in a ball to sleep too! He loves to play fetch and will bring the toy back and drop it to be thrown again. He also learned to sit for treats very quickly!

The two of them had to be rehomed together because they're very attached to each other. If she cries, he is right there licking her ears and sniffing her head and making sure she's okay. They even snuggle together when they sleep!

They are both house trained. They know the word "outside" and they run right to the yard to pee, and right back to the door to come in. They love going for walks, but Kash is better on a leash than his sister. She runs ahead until she's choking herself! So we need to work on that.

We will be picking them up on Friday when Scott is home from his work trip. Layla is making me feel guilty! She was okay with them when they were here, and as soon as we took them back to the foster after our day visit, I don't think she was ever going to stop licking our faces! But I know she will learn to love them, and we will still love her as much as always!

By the way... if you noticed I didn't use Isadore's name much, it's because we are probably going to change it. We think she's a Lucy Lucy in the sky with diamonds... both of our girls would be named after songs! She doesn't seem to respond to much now. We read through names with a bunch of different sounds and she didn't move at all. Maybe she never had a name before. The rescue called her Izzy for short, but I think it sounds close enough to Lindsey that it might get confusing in our house! So I think it will be Lucy

After all that, here they are!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1600_DSCF2737.jpg (186.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg K1600_DSCF2743.jpg (186.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg K1600_DSCF2744.jpg (185.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg K1600_DSCF2747.jpg (192.1 KB, 12 views)

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote