4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Relationships

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Met the parents!

On Sunday, Scott's parents came into town to see the Eagles concert here. He called me in the afternoon just as they were getting in and invited me to spend the day with them. I said sure! They came and picked me up and things were pretty good, although very awkward.
His parents are very very religious, and I am not quite to that extent. Anyways, I have been invited to go home with him at the end of the month. His mom said we should be there on Friday night in time to attend a church play. Okay, that's fine, I'd go. Then she was like "The tickets are $32 each, so $64 but you'll have to pay half" and his dad was like "Why half?" and she said "Well I am buying Scott's ticket, but she'll have to buy her own!" I took it as being a little rude when I was sitting right there... of course I was going to buy my own way anyway, but it seemed like she felt she had to point it to me. $32 seems very expensive though I mentioned it to Scott but I don't know... he doesn't really want to go anyway, but it's free for him! We'll probably end up going because he'll do anything to make his mom happy. And I will be spending $32 to make his mom happy.
They wanted to go shopping so I followed them around a little bit, and then went to an open house (Scott is looking at maybe buying a place). Then they dropped us off at Scott's place so we could get in his car. We sat at his house for a few minutes just talking and having some time alone. He said he didn't feel comfortable with me when his parents were there, and I don't know if that's a bad sign or just nerves Anyways, then we got in his car to drive to his aunt's house because they were having supper there. On our way, his mom called and was a little upset that we weren't there yet.
They had ordered chinese food and it was really delicious! First everyone said grace and I was just politely silent. Then it seemed like the conversation was very strained, and I felt awkward because I'm used to my family being so laid back and laughing and joking all the time.
When we were on our way out, I told everyone it was really nice to meet them, and I thanked his aunt for the great supper. I didn't realize she expected us to pay for our portion of the supper Totally different than my family. If we're invited to eat, we don't have to worry about the cost. Just like if I invite anyone to eat at my place, I do not expect them to pay me for it!
I guess I now have mixed feelings about the whole experience. I definitely don't feel any warmth towards me. It's the first meeting, but still I've met tons of parents before who are so much friendlier and open to me the first time. Does she think I'm not good enough for her son? She usually calls him 2 or 3 times a day, even when we're at work. He goes home (2 hours away) to get his hair cut by her because she knows how he likes it! Whenever she calls and he says he's with me, she says "aren't you sick of each other yet?" when I can clearly hear her. It's still early in the relationship but I have a feeling she's an overbearing type. I don't know how well I will handle it.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote