4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Bargain hunting!

Scott and I got some great deals this weekend when we didn't even know we were looking for anything! In time, we will be renovating the kitchen. The appliances have to be the first to go! They are just plain ugly! I happened to be browsing online and found a white dishwasher that was just a few years old for $50! I jumped on that one, we went to see it, paid, and will be picking it up later this week! So I posted our old dishwasher online to sell.
Later in the afternoon I came across a 9 year old black and white stove in great condition for $125! Couldn't pass it up so we went to look at it last night, paid, and will be picking it up tomorrow
So when we got home I decided I might as well put up ALL of our appliances for sale in case someone wants to take them together (they're ugly but at least they match!). This morning we were contacted by someone who wants the fridge, stove, and range hood. We weren't expecting a hit on it so soon so now we're scrambling for a fridge! Hopefully if they like it, they'll give us a week or two before they need to take it! I'm crossing my fingers to find a good deal on a fridge, and fast!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
paula1961

Sounds like you got some really good buys Lynsey! Good for you. I bet you won't have any problem selling your stuff either. A black and white stove? I don't think I've ever seen one, bet it's pretty.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Good job Lindsey! My last stove was black and white. It's just 2 yeas old and sitting in my garage. If you were close I'd give it to you! I TOLD you that you need to move to Texas
Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Wow!! It sounds like you got some really good deals!! Doesn't it make you feel good to know that you saved a lot of money? Good job!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Paula, the part where the clock and dials are is black, the cooktop area is white, the door is black, and the bottom drawer is white My mom has one similar but in almond and black. It makes it easier with other kitchen appliances too, since they can be black OR white!
Betsi, you're right! I should definitely move there Except I'm really missing snow right now and if I were in Texas I'd know it wouldn't even be coming!
Diana, it makes me feel great to be saving so much money! Especially when Christmas is right around the corner! In the first place we thought we'd buy all new which would cost us at least $1000
I also just found some kitchen cabinet doors someone is selling that were brand new, only used for 6 months and then replaced. The doors are usually the expensive parts of the cabinets so Scott is trying to price that out now. The whole kitchen renovation might come faster than we thought!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 11-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Shada

Wow Lindsey, things are really coming together for you!
Love a bargain... hope you find the bargain frig soon!!
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you found some really good deals!!!! Hope the fridge is as easy to replace!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Wow Lindsey....you did good girl!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I just talked to Scott and I guess the guy is coming today to look at the fridge and stove... I really hope he takes them! We're asking $200 for both, which is more than we've paid so far to replace the dishwasher and stove We've also found a white fridge about 40 minutes out of the city that looks okay, and they're selling it for $300. Scott and I are going out to look at it tomorrow (it's Remembrance Day here in Canada... stat holiday).
How lucky am I that this all came together this week? My brother is moving to his new house on Friday so last weekend he brought my parents' truck back to the city so Scott and I can use it to pick up the appliances

Old 11-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
DianaB

It sounds like everything is working out so well!! That's always a good sign that it is meant to be!!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Well, we have a newer stove, dishwasher, and fridge now Unfortunately, that other guy didn't show up to buy our appliances. I reduced them all in price last night and got one call... there were three people who showed up together, a young guy and two older women. The two women didn't speak English, so the guy was translating. He offered us only $50 for the fridge, or $75 for both the fridge and stove. We said no, $150 for both. They left. Maybe if I'm desperate in a few weeks I'll sell them for that little, but not right now!

We picked up the dishwasher yesterday and while Scott was loading it, he noticed the inside smelled pretty bad... almost like a pond or slough. We got it home and kept the door open to air out but it was still really gross. Last night he was going to hook it up so we took the hose off and I looked inside... YUCK! Black rotting chunks of food everywhere! There was another part full of food too. I bet that's why they sold it so cheap! We ran a lot of water through the pieces and got out as much crap as we could, and then filled them with bleach for a couple of hours. If he gets it hooked up today, I'm going to run a hot cycle with bleach.

I also looked up the problem online. Scott's mom raves about dishwashers with stainless steel insides, and Scott convinced me it's the best way to go. Well, apparently this smell is a common problem with stainless steel inside dishwashers And when Scott called his mom last night, she admitted hers smells like that too. She said it's not so bad if you always leave the door open a crack when it's not in use.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
DianaB

Hmmmm......I've never noticed my dishwasher smelling bad after I've run a cycle......You might try putting about 1/2 c. of vinegar in when you run it. The vinegar won't hurt anything and should help with the smell.

Another use for vinegar!!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
Hmmmm......I've never noticed my dishwasher smelling bad after I've run a cycle......You might try putting about 1/2 c. of vinegar in when you run it. The vinegar won't hurt anything and should help with the smell.

Another use for vinegar!!!
Some filters also have to be cleaned manually, about every 2 weeks. They may not have done that, hence the smell and food.

Here's a link about dishwashers from Consumers.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...s-features.htm

Do the vinegar wash too. You can run vinewgar through your electric cofeemaker too every so often. Just run clear water through twice after.

I agree - vinegar is the best!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
flantee09

Bargain hunting

I think this is fairly consistent with a the real world. Its crazy and IMO digusting that Man Utd. picking up Ronaldo for 12 million is now seen as a bargain. Or Arsenal 10m for Henry. Even if you buy a player well before his peak, if theyre off that standard youll be looking to pay at least 8m in FM2010.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

:lol2 :

judy is offline   Reply With Quote