4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Recipes

Old 06-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
The strawberries are done

Paige (my granddd) and I put up 41 containers of strawberries today. 8 of frozen, and 31 of jam.
I'm officially done making jam until the raspberries are ripe.
With the high cost of berries and other ingredients this year, I'm not sure how much I actually saved by doing it ourselves, but we're so used to home made that store bought just doesn't cut it.

So who else is canning or freezing this year?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I use to can and freeze every year and truly enjoyed it. It sure tastes so much better than store bought doesn't it? We haven't planted a garden for a few years now, just too busy. I really hope to plant one next year. I just need to simplify my life some.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I used to have a really big garden and canned a lot, but since we've moved the garden spot isn't very convient to use and my cooking has changed since I don't have as large a family to cook for. I used to make strawberry jam, and nothing tastes as good as homemade, but my husband is diabetic so needless to say I don't make it any more.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Marilyn

We used to can all the time. I grew up canning and did so until 1995 when my father passed away. He was the gardner. He had a 2 to 3 acre garden and planted rows of peas, pumpkins and such in the corn field. We gave a lot away, too. Mother used to complain that we were supplying the whole DuPont plant with food. My dad was a maintenance mechanic at a DuPont petrochemical plant in our area. We had people out most evenings when the garden was producing picking vegetables.

I used to pick cucumbers in mud past my ankles just to get them off the vines so they would keep producing.

He raised a variety of strawberry that was red all the way through, no white core. They were sooooo good!!!

Miss him and the garden, and the fresh produce.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I've never canned, but as a kid, we used to spend our summers in the country. My grandmother would give us cousins big containers and we would go pick blueberries.
She would then sit us down with some sugar and sour cream mixed in and that was lunch. From beginning to end, it was so much fun.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #6
Janet

I really should have planted some strawberries. I'm not real fond of them, but my son loves them. Either with shortcake, powdered sugar or just alone.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Sounds like an adventure, being born and raised in the city. I never had any experiences of picking fruits and veggies and then canning them. Tink sounds like you and your granddaughter had some quality time in doing this and fun too.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Marilyn

Thought I'd bump this thread back up for you ladies in the cold. You can dream of making strawberry jam again and warmer days!!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
Tink

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Teeheehee Marilyn, like everything else all my strawberries are frozen right now.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Oh wow, what a good thread! I've been telling Brendon every day this past week "today we are one day closer to springtime!" hehe We've had a bit of warm weather and it's making me want more! Winters are usually pretty hard on me (I feel really sad), and so spring brings a renewed sense of purpose and meaning to my life. I feel like a kid in a candy store the first day I open my windows and doors just to let the breeze blow through!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:55 AM   #11
Janet

Marilyn it did get me to thinking about if I want to plant a garden this year. I love having a garden, but if you don't stay on top of it, it will over grow in no time. Decisions....decisions...!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Oh yum.......Strawberries sound so gooooooood right now!!!! Thanks for the reminder, Marilyn, that Spring is just around the corner!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote