4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 09-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
Ponyup

Help me find a career

You women are always so helpful & full of knowledge that I thought I would bounce this off of you. I don't like my job. I work for my father's company in the engineering department, but I do mostly data entry type work. I am bored most of the day, most days. I have a management degree from purdue. I have found that I like challenges & math related topics. I am an awesome problem solver. I am organized & very smart & love a challenge. My problem is this job does not challenge me, but I don't know what might. I am willing to go back to school, I am willing to relocate, I just have no idea what direction I want to go in. This is what I know about myself.

I like/love math (especially alegbra)
I love to read & learn new things
Repitive tasks bore me & so does doing the same thing day in day out
I get excited when I have to find a solution to a problem & accomplish that
I have a hard time dealing with interruptions (i think I might be ADD)
I like to be given a project & a deadline & then left alone until I finish

If anyone has any ideas as to what might be a good career fit for me or some way to find out I'd appreciated. I took a meijer briggs test & it said I am a born leader that likes to organize & get things moving or something like that. Anyhelp would be appreciated I'm so bored.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Ponyup

bump
Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

What type of engineering department do you work in?

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
May5

Hmm...how about accounting or finances? that requires good math skills and it's mostly uninterrupted work (it depends on the setting, though).
Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Ponyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey
What type of engineering department do you work in?
It's not a true engineering department. My dad's company makes wire & the engineers here set up the part numbers for the wire & make sure that the wire meets the specs set forth by suppliers & such.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
Ponyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by May5
Hmm...how about accounting or finances? that requires good math skills and it's mostly uninterrupted work (it depends on the setting, though).
I'm afraid this might be too repitive
Old 09-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
May5

Oh yeah...that's true; it may be. Hmmm....I can't think of anything else right now, sorry!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
cindy0721

Send a message via Yahoo to cindy0721
y not teach ?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Ponyup

I thought about teaching. Actually my orginal major in college was math education. I'm not against teaching that's for sure.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Teaching is a great idea and the kids need a good math teacher. What about management of something you're interested in. Managers need to be good organizers, take care of the books and manage people too, problem solving. Just about anything in management would be good and most likey not repetitive.....
Old 09-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #11
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I agree teaching is a good idea.
The reason I asked about the engineering department is if it might be something interesting you might already have some knowledge. I'm in an engineering technology program, and my boyfriend has graduated from a technology program as well. What we do is help out engineers with design work or testing work and it involves a lot of math. Projects vary so there's a lot of thinking and research to do on a variety of topics. Most technology programs are just 2 years long at a tech school, and at my school at least, there's the option of returning for another two years either right away or later on to get a full engineering degree.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
HAve you considered becoming a Realtor? You get to deal with large sums of money, a wide variety of people, see a lot of very interesting homes, and once established, can make a VERY nice income! I did it for 4 years and really did enjoy it.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:49 AM   #13
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
HAve you considered becoming a Realtor? You get to deal with large sums of money, a wide variety of people, see a lot of very interesting homes, and once established, can make a VERY nice income! I did it for 4 years and really did enjoy it.

Realtor is a great idea too. I had thought of that a few years back, wish I would have followed through with it.