4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Book Club

Old 09-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

My summer reads :)

I thought I'd make a list of the books I read over the summer, and what I thought of them

Stuck in Downward Dog by Chantel Simmons
This is about a girl who gets dumped by her boyfriend, and basically left with nothing. Her friends are growing apart from her and she all of a sudden decides she needs a whole identity makeover and tries to be everything she thinks people want her to be. It's just a funny book about something I think all women go through at some point in their lives.

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner
A plus-sized writer breaks up with her boyfriend, also a writer, and then realizes he got a job at a national women's magazine and his first article was called "Loving a Larger Woman" and it's all about her. This book is about her struggles with her self esteem, and figuring out who she really is. It was a really good story

Frenemies by Megan Crane
A girl is about to turn 30 and has great friends, a great boyfriend, and a great job. That is until she walks in on her boyfriend making out with her old college roommate. Again, this book is about a struggle to find out about herself and her friendships, with a lot of funny revenge stories. I've definitely been in her shoes before!

Wicked by Gregory Maguire
I've wanted to read this book for ages, and now that we're going to go see the show in NYC I thought it was about time This is the life story of the Wicked Witch of the West. It paints the whole story of Oz and everyone who lives there, and it just makes it seem like you're getting the whole story of the politics and history of that little world. It's very very well written and it was a great story

The New Yorkers by Cathleen Schine
Kyle picked this book out for me when we went to the book store together and I'm glad he found it! This is a book about dog lovers, dog owners, and one dog hater, all living on the same block in NYC. I like how it tells the stories of so many different people, and how they interact, through acquaintences, fights, and romances, and how the dogs have been the one thing common between them all.

I think that's all I've read this summer... I can't think of any more! Anyways I'm off to the book store to stock up again

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I have to admit, I haven't read one book this summer. Seems like there is never enough time, with being on here...lol. Plus other things that need done.

The first 3 seem to have a theme of relationships gone bad. The 'Wicked' sounds like a good read to me. I may have to find it and put it on my shelf to read. I've already got 4 books, but what's one more. I'll get them read....eventually.

Did you ever read Marley and Me? about the lab. The movie is due out in December and Jennifer Aniston is in it. I loved the book so much and I can't wait to see the movie.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Yes I LOVED Marley and Me. I like books that make me laugh and cry. I also have another of John Grogan's books called Bad Dogs Have More Fun. It's a bunch of short stories and articles.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Good in Bed, Wicked and the NYC books sound great! I just finished The Heart Shaped Box, an excellent modern day horror story, and now I'm reading the new Stephen King.

I'm so glad I have begun to read again. I read one book the whole first year and 1/2 of my retirement! I usually have 2, sometimes 3 books going at the same time.

Any other recommendations?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Horror stories always creep me out! I have read almost all of Anne Rice's books but I like how everything isn't so scary because all her vampires and witches and everything are just like normal people with normal emotions and they just don't seem so bad lol
Right now I am almost done Chicken Soup for the Soul: Stories for a Better World. I was reading it outside in my back yard on the weekend and trying not to cry because the neighbors were out too! It's really really good.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Dobie

I read Wicked about a year ago in my book club - I really enjoyed it. There's another one, I can't remember the title, but it's based on the Cinderella story - I didn't enjoy that was nearly as much.
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I just finished a couple of books by Dee Henderson. She's a christian writer and her books are very suspenseful. I found a lot of christian books this summer at garage sales so I'm ready for winter to come!!! I love to read!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
celstu1

Lets see I read a few good ones over the last year or so....

The Other Boleyn Girl, The constant princess and The Queen's Fool - Philipa Gregory they were all really good. The other Boleyn girl was the best though! (kind of a series although each stands alone) - about King Henrys court! bunch of bad girls and boys! hehe

The Odd Thomas Series by Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas, Brother Odd and Forever Odd. Now there are 2 more in the series woohoo - they are freaky in a way, koontz is a lot like stephen king except not so detailed.

The Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts - Morrigan's Cross, Dance of the Gods, Valley of Silence - a romance/vampire/mystical series - pretty good.

Then of course the Twilight Series - Stephanie Meyer - Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn another vampire/love series - I love vampire books, these are good vampires though - vegetarians if you will who do not feed off humans and who have emotions. Can't wait for the movie in Dec

Think I have a series theme going on here?? haha
celstu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm glad you gave a good review on those Philipa Gregory books! I've stopped and looked at them every time I've been in the book store for the past few months. I love books about royal history

Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh yeah a couple of days ago I bought Be The Pack Leader by Cesar Millan and I'm about halfway through right now. I've been using some techniques from the book and I have to honestly say they've been working with Layla. So I'm really enjoying it!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Cesar Milan's book is good reading. I enjoyed it.

I'm still reading the same book. I don't set aside time to read. I'm online instead. There are so many wonderful books to read, and I'm on eBay looking for whatever for hours. I'm annoyed at myself already.

At least I'm reading my second book now though.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote