4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
Tiramisu

My posts are posting. I'll try at home!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #17
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I've always been overweight too...not so much as a child, but still on the heavy side. There were times I was just the right size for me and was so proud of myself. It was always a battle to stay that way and a battle I've always lost and still try to fight to this day.

I understand about the addiction...I need (yeah right) chocolate. And if there is something sweet in the house...I've got to have it or I'll think about continually. Makes me so angry at myself.

I hate being overweight!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Reba, I'm very proud of you for working on your issues. I think it is so true, we must work on them our own way. I love to read about what others do, because it gives me ideas about what I might try. Sometimes they work for me, sometimes, not so much!

Weight, and losing weight are very personal. It is very easy for some, hard for others, and for some, darned near impossible. I think the key is to find out what works for you and then go for it.

I find that when I start a diet, I often keep it to myself. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I find that if I start on the covert, I do better, don't ask me why.

I also think it is much harder to watch your weight, or lose weight, for some people. I know my daughter finds it very hard to lose weight. Her daughter, my granddaughter simply cannot eat like most of her friends. When they come over to her house, they eat everything and my granddaughter will gain weight if she does not watch everything that goes into her mouth. She's only 12. She has an hour of PE everyday, she swims on a team and they practice for an hour and a half, 3-4 days a week. She plays volley ball and they practice for 2 hours two days a week. She also rides her bike, and the skateboard regularly. So, it's not like she sits in front of the TV all evening.

Anyway, my point is that we are all different and some of us struggle more than others, LOTS more!!!

Again, I congratulate for trying - that's the first important step!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
Reba

Thanks, Gayle. I appreciate the kind words.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 AM   #20
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Reba, just wanted to give you a hug...((((((((Reba)))))))). I think you are making a very important first step. There are several reasons to want to be a more ideal weight, but as Gayle pointed out, this is very personal. It's okay to handle it the way it feels best for you. The only thing that I really wanted to add is that I'm overweight, about 25 lbs or so. I'm not huge but have worked at trying to knock the extra off and keep it off long enough to understand how difficult it can be. My point is, at least for me, the most important thing in actually losing the weight is to keep my focus on the goal, and if you slip one day, don't be so discouraged that you give up. Before the holidays, I'd lost 10 lbs on WW and was feeling pretty good. I fell off the wagon big time, and it's hard to get back on. If you can just keep your momentium and keep your goal in mind, you will succeed. There will be days when you weigh in and you have gained, but keep listening to the folks at you WW meetings and stay with the program, and you will succeed!!!

BTW, if you arent' going to WW meetings, you may want to find a place in your area. I'm a member online, and the online helps are wonderful, but they don't replace the encouragement of a meeting. The meetings may not be for everyone and I've never attended another group but the one here, so don't know if they are all good or not, but something you may wish to consider.

(You may have seen a picture of me on another forum that we are both members of. That was me at close to my ideal weight, well, I'm not there right now. I'm working to get back there. )
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #21
Tiramisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
My posts are posting. I'll try at home!
Should have said "aren't" posting. I tried to post several times yesterday and some worked and some didn't.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #22
Tiramisu

Now that I have my foot back (still have a slight limp), I'm almost back to my normal activities. I'm eating foods I like (that are healthy for me), with a few exceptions: smaller portions, no chips, no desserts, less sugar in my coffee, less alcoholic beverage. I'm thinking about getting a used treadmill.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #23
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Reba,

Good for you! Do your best, and only take one day at a time. I'm addicted to chocolate and fats. Once I get a taste of either, I'm right back on the wheel again, going around and around. I don't expect to ever get over it, just maybe to be able to stop before I gain too much.

I am sorry your Mom said that to you. I'm sure it was from her heart, and that she only wants you to be happy. It doesn't mean that it's the truth though. I can just imagine how it hurt you though since your weight is a hot button for you. You might want to think about telling Mom how you felt and asking her not to say things like that to you. You would have to be soooo tactful though. Just a thought.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote