4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 10-08-2006, 03:19 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
It Made Me Cry!!

While my son has been gone, I cleaned out his school back-pack. I know, he should do it, but he doesn't mind. I'm not doing it to be nosey, I just don't want it to be any heavier than it has to be.

Anyway, there was an essay he had to write about himself and some of the things in it melted my heart. Here are a few excerpts:

"I like where I live because I can do anything I want and feel safe, like 4-wheeling, biking, walking in the woods or just hanging out with my parents or friends".

"One of my pet peeves is when people don't shower and they smell."

"One thing I like about myself is that I am always nice, because if you're nice to people, they will be nice to you."

"The worst decision I've made so far is not working more at the Flower Shop. I think I should have worked more, because I need money to buy a car."

The three most important people in my life are my mom, dad and my grandmother. My mom is most important because she listens to what I have to say and doesn't make me feel like my ideas or thoughts are wrong. My dad is important to me because he teaches me to work on cars and he is really funny. My grandma is import to me because she let's me know she loves me".

"I would like to be able to talk more than I do. I'm kind of quiet and shy, so I hope I can overcome this".

He really gave some thought to this and well, I just love this guy to pieces!!!!!
Such a great young man!!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Willow

WOW! That is wonderful that he thinks so much of you guys! Obviously you are a good parent. When I was a kid, most of us wouldn't give our parents credit for anything. He seems like a well adjusted happy teen and that is wonderful!
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

He's a great kid Janet
Old 10-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
Janet

Thanks ladies, I'm just so proud I feel at times I could burst!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Kimberley

You should be proud of your son. Not very many kids can say nice things about their family. Now, give him a big hug and kiss but don't let on that you found his paper.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Taurus Babe

Aw, Janet, you should be so proud! Your son seems like such a great, well rounded young man! If only we had more people like him around! You've done well!!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Oh my goodness. Those words your son wrote are sweet as ever! He is soooo appreciative of you all. So many kids these day's are not, you are blessed!
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 AM   #8
highlans

That is wonderful but my advice is never go into there personal things you may one day find something you do not like how would you feel then?.
highlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:21 AM   #9
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlans
That is wonderful but my advice is never go into there personal things you may one day find something you do not like how would you feel then?.

I'm not worried about that. My son is very open and honest with us. He'll even ask me if I'll go through it with him, not that he can't do it himself, but we spend time together and I think he enjoys when we sit on the floor and go through his back-pack. If I was to find something I didn't think he should have in there, I would do with it what I do with all the other things. Put them in a pile and let him go through what he wants to keep and what to throw out.

Just another example of how close we are....when he was in 6th grade and they showed the films in Health class about their bodies and how they change, (even how the girls change), he brought the book home they gave him and wanted to discuss it. With me....not his dad. He even asked me "Mom, just what exactly are rubbers and what are they for?". So I sat down with him, showed him one and explained it all. I really don't think there is anything he wouldn't discuss with me and if someday there is...that's okay...we all need our privacy!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
highlans

You are very lucky then that you have such a good bond. How will you feel when the girlfriends come along. My son and I are close and cannot wait for him to get a girlfriend but think I will be a bit jealous and maybe feel he has someone else to share his hopes and dreams with so my job is done. As the saying goes a daughter is a daughter for life and a son is yours untill he gets a wife.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlans
You are very lucky then that you have such a good bond. How will you feel when the girlfriends come along. My son and I are close and cannot wait for him to get a girlfriend but think I will be a bit jealous and maybe feel he has someone else to share his hopes and dreams with so my job is done. As the saying goes a daughter is a daughter for life and a son is yours untill he gets a wife.
As long as she is good to him and loves him I'll be fine. I kidded him and told him he couldn't marry until he was 30, he just laughs at me. I want him to be happy, that's all that matters. If I had to die for his happiness...I would!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #12
highlans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
As long as she is good to him and loves him I'll be fine. I kidded him and told him he couldn't marry until he was 30, he just laughs at me. I want him to be happy, that's all that matters. If I had to die for his happiness...I would!!!
I used to say to my son he has to live with mummy forever he used to answer I will forever now all I get is yeh wright! think he is maybe growing up!. Yes I would give my life for my 2 children.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
magnolia

Oh Janet - that is so sweet!! It just goes to show he has been raised in a family that loves and cares for him but more important, truly listens to his thoughts and feelings! As a parent, I constantly worry on whether I'm doing the best job I possibly can with my 2 boys - have I taught them enough about respect, kindness towards other, loving oneself in addition to loving others, etc. Although they "slip" at times around the house, I've never seen my boys be disrepectful or unkind to another - nor has word gotten back that they've acted in a manner other than how they were raised. My boys don't go to bed unless they've come to give me a hug and a kiss - they've even gotten out of bed and come to find me if they realize they went to bed with out their hug and kiss - and "I love you" all around

Now, do like Kimberly said - when he gets home, give him a big hug and kiss and never let him know you read the essay

"Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been"....Jimmy Buffett
magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #14
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Janet, that is just beautiful! I agree with Kimberley, don't let him know you read his essay, but maybe do something extra-special for him since you know he's such a fantastic son! Maybe make him his favorite dinner.
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote