4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Collecting a deposit......

Dae Lynn and Damon just moved to another house. The landlords that she had were really good about fixing things and she was really good at keeping her rent paid. They lived in the house right before Dae Lynn did because they had sold their house and was remodeling anther one to move into so they had first hand knowledge about the condition of the house.

The husband is a real nice guy but his wife......well, let's just say, we've heard awful stories. Jaci was best friends with their daughter but the friendship changed about a year and a half ago. Plus, the daughter tried out for HC Queen as well. In fact, she was telling everyone that SHE was going to be the winner because her MOM said so.

When Dae Lynn rented the house it hadn't been cleaned since they had moved out. We shampooed the carpet and cleaned mouse poop out of the cabinets and did all the other cleaning. They DID deduct $50 from her rent for cleaning it up.

Well, now it's time for them to give Dae Lynn back her deposit. The wife is trying to make Dae Lynn pay for stuff that they know was that way when they lived there. In talking to her Dae Lynn argued about some things and the wife said that her husband said that was already that way but she put it on the list anyway.

Karlie had taken crayon to a wall that was textured so it was hard to get off. They were told to get it painted but the paint in the garage wasn't any good. Dae Lynn took Comet and finally got most of it off but the wife is still demanding that they buy paint and get it painted. She's also demanding that they come back and mop the kitchen and back porch AND shampoo the carpet. There is a screen on the front door that Dae Lynn agrees that they should pay for but she feels like the rest is up to the landlord.

Dae Lynn had a big arguement with the wife on Friday (Note that this is AFTER the Homecoming Queen Pageant). Dae Lynn also mentioned that she knew that they already had it rented so it couldn't have been in too bad of shape. She finally just gave her her address and told her that she wasn't going to argue with her and to do what she felt was right. I just cannot believe some people!!! Glen turned to me after Jaci won the Pageant and said that he thought that Dae Lynn would have trouble getting her deposit back. It makes me want to spit nails!!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I don't blame you one bit for being upset. That is exactly why when our first tenants moved in we went through house and noted each item and then had them sign it. We'll do it again that way..if something is broke...etc. It can be deducted from the deposit.

I really would hate to think that this landlord is doing it out of spite. Not a good person in my mind.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
DianaB

When Dae Lynn moved in Jaci and their daughter was the best of friends and the wife was excited to have Dae Lynn as a renter. We'd heard stories about her then but didn't think that we'd have any problems with her. But with the friendship between our daughters is not good anymore and with her having to pay the deposit back, I think that she's turned into a ...uhm........well.........uh...........a not so nice person!!! I hope that she decides to do the right thing because Dae Lynn and Damon REALLY need their money back.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Diana, this is just really the PITS! It is so unfair. Janet has the correct approach, do a walk through, make a list, and stick with that list on move out - that is the way car rental places handle it.

While there are so many wonderful things about living in a small town, this is an example of a multifaceted problem in a small town. The soured friendship has most likely contributed to the nastiness, plus her daughter losing the homecoming queen pagent. That is so unfair to Dae Lynn. Things like that are much less likely to happen in the city. I grew up in a small town and much of my family still lives there and I can sooooo see something like this happening. And no matter how it turns out, this woman may bad mouth Dae Lynn to other people. It is just so sad that some people are this way. Add to that a situation where everyone knows everyone, and it can really cause some hurt feelings!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Maybe they can get in writing, what this b***** wants them to do so that they get their deposit back, minus the screen door. If she doesn't give it back then, they can take her to court. Or...threaten to anyway.

Or, maybe Glenn can talk to the husband on the side and make some arrangement. You said the husband is a nice guy.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Good ideas, Judy!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
DianaB

Those are good ideas, Judy. I'll have to talk to Dae Lynn.

After I stop laughing!!!