4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Recipes

Old 12-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Easy cabbage rolls

I have never really eaten cabbage rolls, but my sister-in-law made these and they were delicious! They can be heated up the day after in the microwave. Wrap one cabbage roll in a paper towel and heat for 20 seconds. Perfect!

2 lbs ground beef (my sil used 1/2 hamburger and 1/2 sausage)
2 large onions
1 large head of cabbage
salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat a little bit and then add chopped onions and cabbage, salt and pepper. Cook till meat is done and cabbage and onions are soft.

Use any type of good yeast-type frozen rolls (my sil used Roades frozen rolls). Let them rise per the package instructions and then roll out into 5X5 squares. Place a large mixing spoonful of meat/cabbage/onion mix in the middle of each square of dough. Pick up corners and bring to the middle, pinching sides together. Repeat till meat is used up. Place rolls with pinched sides down in a greased baking dish. Bake at 400 till brown about 15-20 minutes. This will make about 52 cabbage rolls, so I'm going to make 1/4 of the recipe for Gary and I, since 2 each were all we could eat at one time. I'm going to make it for New Years day dinner - with black-eyed peas on the side, of course!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

That sounds delicious. Another recipe on my to cook list.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
That does sound good for New Year's Day.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Yum!! Sounds good!! I used to make something similiar to this only I rolled out a canned biscuit and folded the filling in the middle. Ummmm......they were good too!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Janet

Even though these sound really easy....tomorrow I'm going to get groceries and see if I can find some already made up....lol
Old 01-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Janet, that sounds like ME!!!! We ate them for lunch and dinner today. Gary is really crazy about them, I had no idea he would like them! They are as good heated up as they were when I made them. I think I'll be making them again!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Janet

Well crap!! I may have to make them.....I couldn't find any at the grocery store.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Janet

Still haven't made them yet, but everytime I see this thread my mouth starts watering, it just sounds soooo good. I've got to get busy, but I've been a little preoccupied with Mom's house and getting my laptop back. Hopefully soon.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I got everything last night to make another batch, but i'm too tired tonight. I'll probably make them over the weekend. They are soooo GOOD!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
Janet

I should have bought the items to make it too, but didn't. Now I just don't feel like driving to town on slick roads. We got about 2-3 inches of snow yesterday and this evening we're expecting snow, then ice and then turning back to snow again. It would have been nice to try them over the weekend.

Last night I fixed boiled potatoes, smoked sausage with cheese and green beans. I mix them all together in a pot and I just love it. Don't fix it very often, the guys didn't use to like it, just me. Last night they loved it. So glad there are leftovers...
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
DianaB

Yummmm........sounds good!!! We don't eat potatoes hardly at all anymore. They're just too high in carbs.

My Mom makes an easy casserole where you take smoked sausage and cut it into large chunks....add whatever veggies you want......broccoli, cauliflower, onions, potatoes, cabbage, carrots.....usually all of these. Cut them into large chunks and place in a large baking pan and cover with foil with a little bit of water and salt and pepper. Bake for, hmmm.......quite a while.......it takes quite a while to get it all done......2 or 3 hours??? at a lower temperature......like 325*. It's soooo good!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Talking about smoked sausage. I had smoked sausage with scramble eggs this morning.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Janet

That sounds wonderful. I just don't like waiting that long...duh me. I would probably boil the potatoes and then steam everything else. So much faster...wonder how different it would taste instead of baking it.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
DianaB

You could do that then bake it all together for awhile. I know that it's really good. It does take some time to chop everything up but it feeds quite a lot when you're done. I think that you'd want it all together for awhile because the flavors blend.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
You could do that then bake it all together for awhile. I know that it's really good. It does take some time to chop everything up but it feeds quite a lot when you're done. I think that you'd want it all together for awhile because the flavors blend.
Yes, that is what I was thinking too Diana, that even if you boiled the potatoes, etc., you still would want to put everything together in the oven for an hour or so to blend the flavors. It sounds YUMMY!

I am making cabbage rolls right now. I forgot to set the frozen rolls out to rise this morning, so now I have in the in oven using the quick rise method.