4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Lindsey!!!!!

Where are you? You're missed you ole married lady...LOL.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Hi Janet. I've still be checking in, just not posting lately. I am so busy, and so stressed.

Work is awful. This whole month has been awful. I need to talk to someone about not working with this project manager ever again. The other girl who is on the project with me, is about to quit over the same things. And if she leaves, that leaves me to deal with it all. I feel like when this project blows, it is going to fall on me... so I'm trying to cover my butt by keeping detailed records of what I'm doing every single day, the times I'm getting information, and the times I'm getting things done. It's awful to feel like I have to be on the defensive every second I'm here. I have felt like crying every day this month. And I love my job, I really do, but this project is not in the scope of my job - it's landscaping, and I am a drafter at the will of the landscape architect. He is just awful to work for. I also came here to be a civil designer, not a simple drafter. I feel like I am going nowhere when I keep getting stuck being a drafter for landscaping (this is the third project of his I've been on, and all have been awful, and I have expressed that each time to my superiors). I am here trying to learn how to design city subdivisions - lots, piping, manholes and catch basins. That is what I love. It turns out I do not care the least about curves in walking trails, or the placement of trees or type of grass seed used in parks. I am sick of it. I want my A.Sc.T. designation and I can't get it until I prove I am capable of civil engineering design.

We leave for Africa in 4 weeks. I can't even focus on it anymore. I can hardly even get excited. I don't have time to even think if we have everything we need for the trip. Scott made appointments at the travel health clinic so we went last weekend and got 8 vaccines each. We were both really sick Sunday and Monday. One of my injection spots is swollen and red and hurts to even touch lightly, and this is six days later. Tomorrow we are starting typhoid vaccination pills. I'm praying we don't get sick from those, because I can't miss any more work.

I'm just trying basically to get through my days without crying, going home in the evening and trying not to complain too much to Scott about what happens at work, and trying to take care of my house and the dogs and not get depressed over it all.

I just need a break. And a good cry. And a few glasses of wine... make that bottles of wine.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Janet

Oh Sweetie, I'm feel so bad that you're going through this.... (((HUGS))) I knew you hadn't posted for a bit and wanted to make sure you were okay. Had no idea you were under so much stress. I hope in the future you won't have to do this type of design and do what your passion is. In 4 weeks.....you'll be able to really enjoy your much needed vacation.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks Janet. I actually feel better after leaving work early today (I worked through lunch). I think I have convinced the other girl not to resign yet, but to tell her supervisor she has interviewed for other jobs and will leave if she is expected to work under this guy anymore. We desperately need her and had a posting for her position for over a year before she came a few months ago. It gives me hope something will change! We have also been keeping a record of working with this project manager and our difficulties with him. We sent it to another senior landscape architect today, and he will give it to their supervisor.

I really don't want to leave, especially since I showed Scott's resume to the head of my department and they are figuring out how to fit him in. They want to make a position for him! We wouldn't work on the same projects and would be in different divisions of the department, but the commute and flexible hours would really make our life easier! There have been tons of lay offs in his company so he is worried about that.

I hope these next 4 weeks fly by! I know our trip will be very busy but at least I won't think about work for a couple of weeks!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Hang in there Lindsey. I know work can be stressful and they know it is. Sooner or later you will get compensated for your hard work.

Concentrate on your work and everything will work out. Africa is right around the corner.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I am much better now, I think it was just an overly stressful week last week. I'm just trying to look forward to going away soon and not having to deal with anything for a couple of weeks!

I actually have gotten compensated. About two weeks ago I got a raise. I was expecting one, because it was a new year, but it was a lot more than I expected! It's nice to feel appreciated, but I'm still not happy with being stuck on this type of project. Oh well, I'm still working my way up!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Hang in there, Lindsay!! Hopefully your supervisor on this project will get straightened out and work better with the two of you. Your trip to Africa will be here before you know it and you'll be able to take your mind off of work for awhile. Hugs!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

So far this week I've barely had any work from him so maybe that's why I'm feeling so much better than last week lol!

His supervisor got our little "journal" of our issues for the past month, and he told another manager that there were things in there he'd like to follow up on. That other manager told me that yesterday. So far I haven't been called into any meetings but I'm sure that will come.

The other girl I think is going to leave for sure. She's been shortlisted and the new job she wants is between herself and one other. She went for another meeting over dinner a few days ago and she's just waiting for a call now. I've encouraged her to tell her manager that this is going on and she's looking elsewhere, but she hasn't yet. I'm hoping he can convince her to stay! She is the only Landscape Tech in our office and it took forever to find someone. If she leaves, I know I will be stuck doing all of the landscape work instead of the work I want to do!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Janet

I'm glad you're not as stressed this week. Almost another week closer to Africa!!!!

I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you won't get stuck doing anymore landscape jobs, since you don't like them. It probably helps a little with a bigger than expected raise, Congratulations!