4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 01-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
blowry

I'm going back to school!

Yup! I'm 49 yrs "young" and I'm going back to school!! My last position was "eliminated"(long story)....and I have been actively looking for a job since May...I have filled out so many applications, faxed, emailed, snail mailed so many resumes that I think I have applied for the same jobs more than once....I have always wanted to do something in the medical field...so,,,,,on Jan 22 I sign up for a Phlebotomy course...it's only 12 weeks long...there is a big call for medical so hopefully I won't have any trouble finding a job...
I was tired of being so down and depressed over not working...you know the money....not feeling wanted...the whole thing...I gave it up to God....again....and asked for him to guide me in the right direction...I guess this is it! I HOPE! I can't wait! Just wanted to share with all of you...I am finally fine "UP" again!
Old 01-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Way to go Brenda!
I think that's a wonderful plan! You're right that the medical field is a great one to enter. I hope this works out beautifully for you.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Way to g Brenda!!! I only wish the best for you!! So girl, keep us posted and good luck!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Emmsmom

Good for you! I wish I had the will power to go. I am sure you will do great!!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Excellent!! It sure sounds like many of us are off to new and different directions this new year that we are now in. I think it's exciting!!

Ok ~ what is Phlebotomy??

High five to you and your new adventure!! I wish you the best.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
blowry

THANKS EVERYONE!! I CAN'T WAIT!! Phlebotomy is blood drawing...It is something I have been thinking about doing for a few years now....I am tired of looking for work...As I said in my post, I have been looking diligently since May...I have had interviews but the people never get back to me, which I think is SO rude! This is one job that computers will never be able to take over...I love working with people..I have seen many job postings in this field...I just pray to God that they are still around when I finish school! LOL.....I will start the class in March and finish in June....I am very excited about this...just going to the class is going to be exciting!! I will be with people! LOL...I love being with the furbabies but they aren't much on conversation LOL!

Thanks again Girls!
Old 01-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Jobs in the medical field are in high demand. I've even thought about going to nursing school. We have a college that's only 30 minutes away and nurses make good money and there's always an ad in the paper with jobs. I think that you're doing the right thing and good luck!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
blowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB
Jobs in the medical field are in high demand. I've even thought about going to nursing school. We have a college that's only 30 minutes away and nurses make good money and there's always an ad in the paper with jobs. I think that you're doing the right thing and good luck!

I had thought about going for nursing but, I will be 50 in March and feel I am too old...I am certainly not "old" for my age but, when you go looking for jobs they always seem to choose the younger people...
Old 01-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowry
I had thought about going for nursing but, I will be 50 in March and feel I am too old...I am certainly not "old" for my age but, when you go looking for jobs they always seem to choose the younger people...
I'll be 50 in a couple of weeks!!! And I wouldn't be afraid to go into nursing. They need nurses bad enough that I'm not sure that your age would matter. You could ask around at a hospital or something to find out. You could even go into private nursing. However the field that you were interested in "phlebotomy" sounds like it could be a good job too. Good luck with what ever you decide to do!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
blowry

Quote:
I'll be 50 in a couple of weeks!!! And I wouldn't be afraid to go into nursing. They need nurses bad enough that I'm not sure that your age would matter. You could ask around at a hospital or something to find out. You could even go into private nursing. However the field that you were interested in "phlebotomy" sounds like it could be a good job too. Good luck with what ever you decide to do!!
Thank you very much!

Well, nursing is like 4 yrs...Phlebotomy is 12 weeks...and it's something I've wanted to do for a few years now.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
CChu

YAY!! Good for you!!! I am so happy that you are happy!! I recently made a career change and this requires me to go back to school as well!!
Old 01-15-2007, 04:24 AM   #12
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:

One thing I wanted to share, not only with Diana, but with everyone considering a change.....when you say...."I don't know if I should...I'm going to be 50 or 60 or whatever"........the thing to ask yourself is "how old are you going to be IF you don't go for the change?" The point being, we're still going to get older, so why not learn as we go?
Old 01-15-2007, 04:32 AM   #13
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
One thing I wanted to share, not only with Diana, but with everyone considering a change.....when you say...."I don't know if I should...I'm going to be 50 or 60 or whatever"........the thing to ask yourself is "how old are you going to be IF you don't go for the change?" The point being, we're still going to get older, so why not learn as we go?
Well said!! And Brenda, congratulations on your decision!!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #14
cindy0721

Send a message via Yahoo to cindy0721
Congrats!
Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #15
blowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChu
YAY!! Good for you!!! I am so happy that you are happy!! I recently made a career change and this requires me to go back to school as well!!

Thanks CChu! I am very excited about this! Even though the course isn't that long I'm still a little nervous...My brain hasn't been very active lately! LOL I haven't worked since May...and it certainly isn't for the lack of looking for work! I feel going back to school and learning a "trade" is the only way I am going to find work...