4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 02-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Wink Am I Nuts?

I keep looking at the local job listings online and every now and again I find something that peaks my interest. Today I found one that I think might be rather fun and is only 24 hrs a week... so I sent them my resume.

Dh tells me I don't have to work. I ENJOY not working... yet part of me feels like I really should be doing something more. I think maybe getting out of the house more might not be a bad idea... so IF I can snag a part time job I'm inclined to do so.

I see my office clothes gathering dust in the closet and think "what a waste!" lol I wish I could make up my mind and KEEP it made up. So am I nuts?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I know that people who work outside the home get great satisfaction from their jobs and are lost when they are home for long periods. You just have to figure out what you want, Tink. I know that your health and well being has been better since you've been home and haven't had to deal with the stress of working and other people. So I guess that you have some thinking to do.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Marilyn

Diana has a good point, however, if you find a nice, part time job with people you like, it might be a good thing. And, if you don't have to work, you can always quit if it's not a fit and causes you issues.

You may have your hands full though even with a part time job and your breeding program, too.

Hmmmm. You're not nuts, just living life!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
Tink

Thanks ladies

I quit the bank on March 3rd of last year, so have been a "lady of leisure" nearly a full year as hard as that is for me to believe!

The job I applied for is at the county courthouse and is support staff (administrative assistant/glorified secretary) for the county extension office or the agency on aging. They're actually hiring 2 part time people. The pay and job responsibilities are the same, just in different areas. The extension office would be more information research where the agency on aging would be dealing with home health care. I've done and enjoyed both... so really don't have a preference.

I know I don't want to work full time because I want to be able to continue to breed dogs and have some free time. I do miss having a steady paycheck with MY name on it. Since I was born and raised and have done a lot of business in this small county of less than 30,000 people, I know it would be a chance to see a lot of familiar faces too which could be fun.

I know they usually get a LOT of applications so I may not even be considered, since most will likely be considerably younger than I. Yet I do have many years of practical experience and if I like the job could work there 12+ years yet. It just depends on what they're looking for.

I'll keep you posted if I hear back from them. LOL
THEN maybe we can decide if I'm nuts...
Old 02-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
HALEY

humm you want to work and i wish we had the money so i didn't have to work and i can stay home with my son, i always miss him when im hear at work and i am missing so much of life being here, it just stinks sometimes... when the sitter tells me he took two steps today, i just want to cry some days...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Of course you're nuts! Who isn't?

Seriously though, only you know what you need. I work part-time - I teach college on Sat. mornings. I like the extra money and I'm very ambivalent about having the
structure. No - actually I do not like the structure or the responsibility, but I do love teaching and I like being with people.

I hope they're smart enough to realize how good you are and they hire you, whether you want it or not.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I've often thought about going back to work full-time but always talk myself out of it. I think I'll stick to what I have for right now...LOL.

I think you just may like it for only 24 hours a week. Like you said...chance to get out, see other people. I say go for it. If it turns out not to be convenient with your life and breeding program, you can always leave.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Tink

Haley, it's a whole different ball game when you have small kids. Mine are all grown and have finally left home, so I'm here all day long with the dogs. My husband drives semi so is only home for about a day and a half each weekend... so I have plenty of time to fill and feel I should be doing something constructive with it.

We aren't wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, so my working again wouldn't be as frivilous as it might sound. We should have our home paid off in a couple years, but there are definitely things we'd like to do that would happen a lot sooner if I worked.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Marilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALEY
humm you want to work and i wish we had the money so i didn't have to work and i can stay home with my son, i always miss him when im hear at work and i am missing so much of life being here, it just stinks sometimes... when the sitter tells me he took two steps today, i just want to cry some days...
Haley, I know it's hard to leave them at home with a sitter, but someone told me that baby's first step or baby's first word is the first one that Mom sees or hears. I lived by that, and it made it easier for me to accept. The really important time for us was when we were together.

Our daughters stayed up a little later in the evenings also than children with stay at home moms, but I'd rather have the awake time with them, and let them sleep more with the sitter. It didn't seem to hurt either one of them, however, we didn't wake them up in the morning and take them to a sitter, the sitter came to us, your situation may be different.

They will love you not matter what, and the most important thing is what you are teaching them when you are with them, the example you are setting, supplemented by a quality sitter, who has the same or similiar values as your own. And don't feel too guilty. I'm sure you are a wonderful caring mom!!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 02-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #10
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn
Haley, I know it's hard to leave them at home with a sitter, but someone told me that baby's first step or baby's first word is the first one that Mom sees or hears. I lived by that, and it made it easier for me to accept. The really important time for us was when we were together.

Our daughters stayed up a little later in the evenings also than children with stay at home moms, but I'd rather have the awake time with them, and let them sleep more with the sitter. It didn't seem to hurt either one of them, however, we didn't wake them up in the morning and take them to a sitter, the sitter came to us, your situation may be different.

They will love you not matter what, and the most important thing is what you are teaching them when you are with them, the example you are setting, supplemented by a quality sitter, who has the same or similiar values as your own. And don't feel too guilty. I'm sure you are a wonderful caring mom!!!!
Thank you Marilyn, i am trying so hard to give that child the things that i didn't have growning up, i want a better life for him so bad. My parents had three kids and i was the youngest so i got all the handy-downs from my sister, and i don't want that from my child, he's going to wear NEW clothes, and have NEW toys, if i have to work two jobs to buy them for him, that hurt all those years.... i hardly got anything new. But back then my parents didn't have the money for all three of us it was hard and my dad did his best by working two jobs, and my mom took a low paying job on the weekends. it was hard.
But as for a baby sitter she lives right across the street from us, she is the best i couldn't of asked for a better baby sitter ever, i was very blessed when we moved there, Val and I became good friends and she loves Micah with all her heart, she is always buying that boy stuff, and on Fridays my mother in law comes over and watches him. which gives me a break on Fridays i don't have to wake up at 4 am to get him packed up and ready to go, he can sleep in if he wants to, and i can get some cleaning done in the morning before i leave for work. so everything worked out with the baby sitting Thank God.... i didn't want to put him in daycare, i heard to many bad stories about the daycare that is around my area.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #11
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
Haley, it's a whole different ball game when you have small kids. Mine are all grown and have finally left home, so I'm here all day long with the dogs. My husband drives semi so is only home for about a day and a half each weekend... so I have plenty of time to fill and feel I should be doing something constructive with it.

We aren't wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, so my working again wouldn't be as frivilous as it might sound. We should have our home paid off in a couple years, but there are definitely things we'd like to do that would happen a lot sooner if I worked.
I would say go for then Tink, give it a try and hey if you don't like it, you can always quit... i just miss him when im here at work.. maybe one day we'll hit the powerball, i keep telling my husband that.. i'll a dreamer hun
Old 02-21-2008, 04:35 AM   #12
Marilyn

Haley, sounds like you're taking care of him and everything esle. Relax and enjoy!!!

Tink, so hope you get good news on your job!!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:38 AM   #13
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn
Haley, sounds like you're taking care of him and everything esle. Relax and enjoy!!!

Tink, so hope you get good news on your job!!!!
Marilyn i wish i knew how to relax... always on the go... i don't stop until i hit my bed...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #14
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Tink, let us know when you hear something about the job. I do hope you get it if it's what you want.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Haley,

I had to work when Jessie was very young and I loved it and hated it! I loved getting out and being with people, and hated it for all the reasons you hate it.

It's rough, but you sound like a very loving Mom and I love what Marilyn said. Those are wise words.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote