4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Weight Loss Support

Old 04-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Lastellaequi

Unhappy Addicted to Fast food

Hey everyone. I've struggled with my weight for a few years & although I don't really look like I'm very overweight, I am ( I just carry it pretty well). Anyway, the reason I began gaining weight was because of self-esteem issues stemming from a bad relationship and since then I haven't been able to lose it. I feel really bad about myself sometimes, sometimes I feel good about myself, but lately I've completely fallen off the weight loss "wagon" and have not been to the gym. Also, I can't seem to stop eating fast food/junk food, and this is also making me feel bad. ON TOP of all this, I really don't have anyone to talk to because as supportive as my new boyfriend tries to be, he just doesn't understand like another girl could (though bless his heart he tries). I just wanted to share this with you, and maybe see if anyone else was in a similar situation. This is hard for me to post because I'm generally a very upbeat happy person, but sometimes keep things inside. I need some support, and some friends to try and lose this weight and be healthy once and for all. Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
You could try just watching your portion sizes or joining WeightWatchers. Judy and I are doing WW and doing pretty darn good. I would try to eat more veggies so you're fuller and not want to eat at fast food places. That is about the most unhealthy food you can eat.

Now that's it's warmer, I've started just walking a little ways (trying to build up my stamina.)
Maybe that will help you, invite your BF to walk with you.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

When my daughter was in college she swore that there was something in fast food (particularly McDonalds) that made you crave more. She was hooked on the chicken nuggets and even after a year she still craves them. It was really hard for her to stay away from them.

Try to stop eating at the fast food places. If you can't then order a salad and water. Or make sure that you have good healthy choices at home. There are even some foods that you can warm up in the microwave. If you check the calories and fat grams of fast food it will make it easier. Some of the hamburgers have more calories than you need for a whole day!

Good luck and we're here any time you need us. Keep us posted on how things are going. OK?

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Lastellaequi

Thanks a lot guys...I'll let you know how it goes
Old 04-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

You have gotten some good ideas..Portion control is what works best for me, fast foods sorry to say you have to limit. To much fat , even though they are trying to regulate the trans fat etc... If you cut back on fast foods, watch your portion intake of regular foods and start walking. That would put you on a good start.. Good luck its hard to lose weight but you have to want to do it and decipline yourself...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Taurus Babe

I second portion control...it's hard, and often leaves me hungry...but it's all about burning more calories than you consume to loose weight. Keep it up!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
pearl

i've done weight watchers in the past and really liked it. i still use the principles today even though i don't count points anymore.
i love some fast foods. what i do is now, i get at mcdonald's the AllAmerican meal, it's a happy meal without the toy. lots smaller than a full adult meal. still get a little fix. i only let myself do that once per week. or at wendy's i'll get a couple things from the dollar menu. like fries and frosty.
walking is great. drinking lots of water helped me feel more healthy.
i added a few pieces of fruit for breakfast.
once i started eating more healthy the fast food feels like a lump in my belly and uncomfortable now. so, i've stopped eating as much of it.
i don't deprive myself of anything, just not too much of it.

"we don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

"Life may not always be the party we hoped for, but while we're here, we might as well dance."
pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Again with the portion control But instead of just eating 3 meals a day, it actually speeds up your metabolism to eat many small meals throughout the day. Breakfast is very important obviously, so make breakfast the big meal and then eat a small healthy snack between each mealtime and keep the other meals light as well. You won't feel so hungry if you let yourself have little snacks, and if you pair it up with exercise it does wonders!
I know a lot of people turn to fast food because it's convenient, it's fast! A lot of times I keep a bunch of fruit and veggies already cut up in my fridge so when I'm hungry I can just grab some of that and eat it. I'm not overweight but I can really tell the difference in my mood and energy levels when I'm eating healthy as opposed to eating junk for every meal!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I love junk food, and just yesterday, had my every 2 or 3 week McDonald's meal. Like Janet said, we're both doing WW and doing well on it.

Pearl's method is also good - WW gives you about 6 points for a small, plain fast food burger, which isn't bad at all.

Good luck with it. The hardest part of a good eating plan is to begin.

You certainly have us to empathize with you and support you!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
One thing i wanted to point out is ...do you get fast food for the taste or just because it is so much easier to get a drive by burger than to find something healthy, cook and eat? I find many times that i have trouble not getting fast food or junk food just because i don't want to go through the "what am I going to cook" hassle. I love to cook but i hate digging through the freezer to find something.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra Amaya View Post
One thing i wanted to point out is ...do you get fast food for the taste or just because it is so much easier to get a drive by burger than to find something healthy, cook and eat? I find many times that i have trouble not getting fast food or junk food just because i don't want to go through the "what am I going to cook" hassle. I love to cook but i hate digging through the freezer to find something.
Definitely! Now I keep really easy, precooked dinners at home so that I don't have that as an excuse anymore.

But, I do love the taste too!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote