4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
Shada

Prayers for my Keller

My old Keller boy had a bad seizure last night around 11:30.
Keller is 17 years old. In good health for a old dog, but his hips/back legs are giving out on him.

I was terrified. It was horrible. I held him till it was over begging God to please let it end, telling him I loved him and mom was here..

For a few hours after he was disoriented which is normal. He tried to get up and couldn't. He would not drink so I got a syringe and got a little water down him. When I picked him up his back legs were dead. Hung down in awkward position. I put him on his bed next to the couch and slept beside him all night. I ended up staying up till 4:00am watching him and petting him when he got restless.

Woke up at 5:30 and he was walking around living room. I took him outside and he was able to potty. He is now like he was before the seizure with no noticeable change.

My sister has epilepsy so I am no stranger to seizures.
To see someone you love human or not, have a seizure is a experience I pray I (and them) will never go thru again.

So please say a prayer for my Keller boy.
I am afraid my time with him will be ending soon.
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Shada, can you tell us a bit about Keller? I'm sorry he's having to go through this. What a long life he's had. Makes me want to cry thinking his time is getting shorter.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Shada, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, Keller. It's so hard to see them go downhill. I'll say a prayer for him.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Shada

Thank you.

He is back to his old self today. He is up on his feet and walking. Eating and drinking. I shared my dinner with him tonight and he chowed that right down! I don't normally give table scraps to the dogs, but Keller is special and I will do what makes him happy.

I was afraid that the seizure would really be the end for him. With his advanced age, limited mobility he has, I really was ready to take him in to vet this morning after seeing how he was after the seizure.

But he is a strong old guy! He is showing me he's not ready. When he is ready.. I am ready. I will not let him suffer.

Right now he is laying at my feet.. he is alert, seems happy.. but I also know his time with me is ending. Love this old guy..

Keller was a shelter dog I adopted when he was around 9 months old. He was a stray with no history. He was full of buckshot when I got him. He must have went thru some bad times before I got him.

It was apparent he had never been in a house, yet he has never had a accident in my house. I bought him a dog bed immediately, told him thats your bed, and he has never gotten up on the furniture. Other than the huge amount of destroying my furniture due to chewing, (which thanks to Bitter Apple he stopped, although it took a good year of spraying daily) he has been the perfect dog. I believe he is part corgi and part ?. One of the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen. Intelligent to the extreme. Sheds like no dog I have ever seen! When I brush him it looks like I have sheared a sheep in my yard! He has raised many baby birds. Within a hour of brushing him, all fur is gone.. birds flock down and grab beakfuls to line their nests with.

When I walked into that shelter all those years ago he was the first dog I saw. He sat in the front of his cage like a regal King, looking at me like 'where've you been? I've been waiting for ya!' I talked to him for a bit, went on and looked at all the other dogs. Then I noticed another couple had stopped at his cage and were seriously looking at him. I went back to him and told them, 'sorry this one is taken'.. and took him home. I am not sure if I chose him or he chose me, but we have been a perfect match over the years.

Gotta tell you a funny story. A few years ago I was in front yard doing some yard work. Keller was with me. Loose. He always stays close and listens to me. I live on a corner. A truck came up to corner and stopped. They had a dog in the truck bed and a dog running after truck. Keller took off running to the dog that was loose, it turned and ran back down the road, I yelled at Keller and he stopped on a dime, came running back to me, as this truck was turning the corner I yelled out 'you lost a dog', they yelled back 'not my dog'.

Never did see that dog again. Hope it made it back to its home safe!
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

What a nice story!!! You are so blessed to have so many happy years with him!!! Hope he does well today and stays around a bit longer!! Post a pic if you can. We'd love to see him.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Thank you so much for telling us about Keller, what a wonderful story and tribute. I hope he is with you for some time to come. The picture idea is good, would love to see this wonderful guy.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
Dobie

He sounds like a sweet little guy - thanks for sharing.
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Keller sounds like a sweetheart! He sounds like he's been a wonderful dog and companion for you. I'm disappointed that we've never had pictures of him.......or else I don't remember them (which is very possible!!).

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing with us. He does sound like a very special dog. I am glad that he is having a good day, I will pray that he continues to improve daily. Yes please share some photos I would love to see him...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote