4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Gucci Limping Today

This morning Gucci woke up fine, after breakfast I took her outside for a few minutes before I left for work. When we came in I thought I caught a glimpse of her limping but I didn't really pay attention for I was running late.

When I came home after a few hrs. I saw that she was limping holding her right paw up. As she tried to walk around. I called the vets office and they gave me an appt. to come in. When it was time to go I put her leash on and took her outside, she seemed not to be limping as much. I said to my son lets take her and see , I also had to pick up her wet food.

By the time we got there and she came out of the car she walked around like nothing. She loves to poop outside the hospital each and everytime. So I debated if I should have her checked or not. To be honest everytime there is a visit it ends up costing over 100 dollars or more. Don't get me wrong I have spent thousands of dollars on Gucci since she was little with her liver shunt operation and care..I figured I may be over reacting. So I explained to the tech what was going on and she said to watch her over night.

Well low and behold I came home and once inside she started limping again. I called the hospital and they said to bring her in tomorrow. They said it can be medical or behavorial .. That I don't believe.. I do believe maybe she got something in her little paw. I don't know when I touch her leg and move it she does not cry in pain. She is not acting like herself either . Has this happened to your dog ? what do you think it can be.

Please say a prayer for Gucci that its nothing when I take her in tomorrow..
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

It does seem odd Gina. I've only had a case of limping once and it was in my schnauzer, not my yorkies. I took him to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong. They said perhaps it was a bite that was hurting but then stopped. I dunno if that was close to the answer or not - but the limping did not return.

I hope it turns out to be nothing! Give Gucci a hug for me!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I hope you can find out what's wrong with Gucci! It's just like taking a kid to the doctor, they always feel better when you get there
Old 09-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I hope that Gucci is alright. Did you check in between her little toes? Sometimes they can get a bit of dried mud or burr in there. Anytime I've had any problems like that they're usually better the next morning. Hugs for Gucci!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I was going to suggest the same thing. Check her paws and pads carefully. She could have stepped on a rock or bruised one of the pads or along side the pad and maybe it only hurts on certain surfaces. Hope she's feeling better soon.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Gina

I went to the vet today and they took some blood work they want to check for possible lymne disease.. I hope not.. I am a worried wreck now.. They put her on anti inflamatories and pain medication. They have to watch her blood work because of her liver shunt problem.. I will get results tomorrow in the afternoon. I know nothing about lymne disease in dogs but I am praying its not. I am a nervous wreck crying.. I just love this dog and don't want anything to happen to her..

Does anyone know about lymne disease in dogs ? and if its treatable ? I am trying not to jump the gun here.. I have to think postive ....Please say a prayer for Gucci. Btw she is better today she was not limping much....
Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gina, why did they think limping is lymne disease? Is this the same disease that humans get from deer ticks? If so, I didn't even know dogs could get it!!!

Is she still limping?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Ah - here's a site that talks about Lymes disease in dogs http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/lyme.html The limping is caused by joint pain. It says the symptoms start (or may start) within a matter of hours of the bite. Was she anywhere where she could have gotten a tick? I just didn't even realize that dogs could get lymes diesase!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Gina, why did they think limping is lymne disease? Is this the same disease that humans get from deer ticks? If so, I didn't even know dogs could get it!!!

Is she still limping?

Gayle as of this morning the limping was subsiding. I took her anyway to the vet. They don't know what is wrong with her, they just took the blood test to check for lymne disease she has not been bitten by a tick, that I know of .. Last year she had one tick and the vet removed it. That was it.

Her leg was a little swollen incomparison to the other and she had the limp. She didn't eleborate on the disease she said lets see what the blood works comes back tomorrow. I don't know I hope that she doesn't have it either. I did read up on it, thanks for the site . She is fine tonight running around. According to the sites I read that lymne disease causes fever, loss of appetite . Gucci is fine no fever and has a healthy appetite...

I hope it was just a fluke and that she had something in paw and came out.. I will know more tomorrow afternoon. If its lymne disease they give antibodics. I just worry because she has had liver shunt disease...

Last edited by Gina; 09-15-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I know you are worried about her with her liver problems. It sounds like it is not lymes though, I sure hope not!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #11
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I wouldn't think that it's Lyme disease especially since you're not seeing any of the other symptoms. I hope that Gucci's better soon.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Keeping Gucci in my prayers Gina. Let us know as soon as Vet knows what's going on.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
Gina

I heard back from the vet Gucci is fineeeeeeeeee.. nooooo lymne disease.. she said to continue giving her the meds for a few days. Her blood work was negative . It can be anything if it comes back we do an exray...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I hope Gucci is still feeling fine!!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Me too!!!