4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Moving my office, ugh!

I moved my office just a couple of years ago and now I'm moving again!!! GRRR

My school built on an addition and our department was NOT supposed to move in to the new part - but alas, we are moving in. It is nice, I suppose, everything is new and pretty. But the office is smaller and I have a lot of STUFF! LOL!

Anyway, it's really not so bad, it makes me throw out things I don't really need - but dang! I don't have time for this moving nonesense!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Do you have to clear everything out, like your file cabinets? Maybe they can just move those kind of things intact. I worked with someone who had them move her 2 or 3 huge cabinets, filled with science materials, every time they moved her room. Finally, they just gave her a permanent room!

It is such a pain to move an office! Get out the Hefty Bags!

I am a great believer in throwing things out anyway. Can you just keep what you really, really need?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm sure that it will be nice to be in a BRAND NEW office but I can understand about not having the time to get it cleaned out, especially for a smaller office. Bummer!!! I'm sure that you'll be glad in the end about everything!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I wouldn't mind the moving so much....I always like changing things a bit, but I know I would not like to move to a smaller anything!!! LOL. Hope it's not too much of a pain for you Gayle.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
paula1961

I just hate moving office stuff! Sorry you're having to deal with this Gayle. Have you gotten moved yet? Moving can be such a pain in the butt.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

You should buy yourself a present for your new office What a pain in the neck to have to move
Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
You should buy yourself a present for your new office What a pain in the neck to have to move
You are right Betsi! Maybe a new purse to put in my drawer!

I have about 3/4 of it moved. I'll be glad when it's 100%, of course the new office looks pretty BAD!

Judy, normally, I'd just move the file cabinets intact. However, there are new matchy matchy file cabinets in the new office, sooooooo, I have to take all the files out and move them. But, it is making me throw away anything that I really don't need. I tend to hold on to teaching materials after they are outdated, so this is making me clean things out and that is a good thing!

The problem is that I didn't know we were going to make this move, so instead of moving, I need to get ready for my spring classes. They start on the 19th, which seems like plenty of time, but we have meetings next week and then next weekend (15th-17th) I have to go to the deer lease sale with Gary. It's going to be tight getting everything done - but I always do, so I suppose I will this time too!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Isn't it amazing how, once you start to organize yourself for the new semester. it does get done! I used to knock it off in about an afternoon and the next morning.
How appealing last semester's lessons looked when it came down to the wire!

I would redo my curriculum calendar, changing the dates for the first class, and then change them as time went on.

Do you teach the same content every semester, or does it change? Science is always changing, or course, but the basics seem to be the same.

What classes do you teach? Writing this, I miss teaching. I especially loved the beginning of the semester. The new energy, new students, and excitement were great! I'm sure you feel this way.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post

Do you teach the same content every semester, or does it change? Science is always changing, or course, but the basics seem to be the same.

What classes do you teach? Writing this, I miss teaching. I especially loved the beginning of the semester. The new energy, new students, and excitement were great! I'm sure you feel this way.

I love the beginning of the semester too Judy! No, I never teach the same thing each semester - but sometimes I teach the same thing each year - the same each fall and same each spring - but not always. Last semester I taught master's classes in adult health. This semester I'm teaching 2 PhD classes, one topic is health promotion in high risk populations and the other is a review of the literature class. I really love teaching doctoral students and I love both topics - BUT I have never taught this particular health promotion course and it has been 3-4 years since I've taught the literature review course - so I need some prep time to update the readings and decide on class activities. Oh well, it will happen.

Have you ever thought of teaching parttime somewhere? Is there a Jr. college nearby? or secondary school? That's probably what I will do when I retire is teach parttime.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I got 'almost' everything moved today. I just have to go through some files and throw out some old stuff and then move the files (not very many, I hope) that I want to keep.

I like the new office, even though it is small. It's clean, new, pretty and tidy (right now - LOL)
Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
paula1961

So glad you've about got everything moved and you're happy with your new office Gayle.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hurray! You moved in, pretty much! Maybe you should treat your new office to a pretty something, like a flower arrangement, or beautiful picture!

I can teach in the high schools around here as a sub. They are wonderful schools, but those days are over. I just do not want to work anymore. Different phases of life!

Your courses sound so interesting. Ph.D. students must be such a joy to work with! They are on such a high level of learning and commitment.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
pope1982

How are you liking the move now Gayle?
pope1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I DO like my new office. I still have a few files to move and MANY files to put away. All the new file cabinets require hanging file folders - most of my old files were just in file cabinets, without hanging folders - so it will take me a LONG time to get all the new file folders done. I will get an undergrad volunteer student to help me, but it will take a while. Fortunately, the files will stack in the cabinets, so my office doesn't look unsightly.