4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I Have To Vent!!!

I need to vent so bad that I think if I don't.....I'll go crazy. Okay....here goes: I'm so darn tired of picking up poop! I know it's my fault for having 5 Yorkies, but I do have to say...I'll never get another one.

Of all the different breeds I've had through my lifetime, none have ever eaten their poop. It disgusts me so bad that I can't stand the thought of them in my face and getting harder to even want them on my lap anymore.

I have 3 that will poop anywhere. I can be sitting in the living room and look up...and there is poop on the floor. Don't know who did it. Go to get some paper towel to pick it up and find smeared (half eaten) poop on the kitchen floor. I switched from Science Diet to Life's Abundance. Suppose to be better quality and they are not suppose to poo near as much. Sorry...but it's the opposite. I'm getting ready to switch back.

Also, I am considering getting a small building out back so I can get them out of the house once in awhile. Besides the poo...the barking is maddening.

I also want to say that I do love them, I really do, but with everything else going on...it's getting to be a bit much.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gosh Janet, I can really understand how maddening it must be! Mine never poop in the house, but they do pee. I can control that with belly bands, but mostly I just wipe it up because we have concrete floors and it is easy to handle. People told me Yorkies are the hardest breed to house break - that they may always pee/poop in the house, and I have to say that I don't think I will ever break mine completely from peeing. We love them dearly and so have adapted the house to accommodate the sprinkles. I must say it is not a big puddle, only a few drops that I find scattered around. And then I only have 2, so that helps!

Hmmmm eating poop - isn't there something that you can put into their food that makes the poop not appetizing? I think I have heard that.

I am lucky, mine only bark when the dog next door barks or when someone comes to the door. I have been around barky dogs and it would be very difficult to tolerate. I'm just lucky in that respect.

I know the obnoxious behaviors get on your nerves more when you are under a lot of stress, that is normal. I know you love them dearly too - but sometimes........
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Shada

Oh Janet... I feel so bad for you! My last two dogs ate their poop. It made me furious too!! Disgusting bad habit. I have heard that pineapple will stop the munching. Never tried it myself.. but others swear by it.
My dogs only ate it in the winter. Made no sense to me!!! YUCK!!!!

As to housebreaking, do they all have free run of house? Maybe you can start from scratch again.. crate train, watch them like a hawk, most dogs have a regular 'pooping' schedule. I know with my Vincent, he goes first thing in the morning, again around 5:00pm, sometimes before bedtime. I am lucky because he is outside housebroken. Always whines at door to let me know when it is his time to potty. He never eats his poo.. Thank you God!!!
Golly. With five!!! That has to be hard.

Lifes Abundance is supposed to be the top of the line dog food. I have thought about changing to that, but I feed Taste of the Wild, which is still a good natural dog food. I did a lot of research on dog food, I keep away from anything that has by-products listed in the ingredients. Bad bad bad. So you are doing well with that food.

And yes I have heard that yorkies are the hardest breed to housebreak. My Mom's Bella is very stubborn, and has many accidents thru out the day. I swear you can take her to her pad every 20 minutes and she will potty. Maybe just a drop or so.. but she will potty. Then five minutes later, go on the carpeting.

I wish I could help more.

Good luck Janet.
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
paula1961

Janet Janet Janet.....you must be my long lost sister lol. I have never had a breed like these either. This winter has been the worst! Lucy goes outside then comes back inside and poops, sometimes like you said it is smeared where she apparantly plays with it/eats it before I see it. I have fed mine pineapple in the past for this terrible habit. I have two that never go potty inside the house but Lucy is a different story. Then the barking.........they have gotten horrible about this! Every little sound or when someone drives by the house or someone knocks on the door or they hear another dog outside or the phone rings, the list goes on and on. Starting today...when one starts the barking(the others always join in) they all go outside, maybe we can teach them that barking means you need to go outside, I dunno but we are gonna try to see if this can stop some of the barking. We have tried the pennies in a can, an ultrasonic debarker(huge waste of money) yelling at them(yeah right. like they know why you're po'd)

I know what you mean....I love mine and could not part with my 3 older ones but I don't want another one and I don't want to keep this puppy if I can find her a great home.

Good luck girl!! Hopefully things will calm down a little, you will feel less stress and be able to deal with the furbutts.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Janet vent all you want .. I hear ya! Gucci only poos in the house when no one walks her outside poor thing.. She pees on her pads all the time, but misses when she poos for she starts on the pad and then moves around. I don't fault her though. She never eats her poo.. I wonder why they do that?

I know that you love your babies your just stressing and truly love them but anyone would get frustrated with 5 fur babies pooping and so.. As far as the yapping Gucci like Gayle's babies only barks when someone is by door or window...

Hugs Janet
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Five yorkies stuck in the house for the winter must be maddening! An outside building with a heater sounds like a good idea for a few hours every day.

Annie is a perfect little lady when it comes to going on her pads. I don't thunk she even knows she can go outside, although she will learn when I can let them out again to run around. She does like to eat Max's poop though. I yell at her when I catch her, and am hoping she learns not to do it. She is a very good dog, so she may catch on. I bought the stuff that is supposed to stop her from eating it, but I have to remember to give it to them!

I have to be after Max all of the time about where he goes. He will be good for a week or so, and then he will mark or poop in the wrong place. He is just a stubborn little booger! He knows where he's supposed to go. I think it's his last holdout for not submitting to me! I know where to expect to find it though, so at least I don't walk in it! Little brat!!!

They also bark when the phone rings. Max barks at noises, Annie gets hysterical! She is young though, so I am hoping she mellows a bit! I am also trying to train her to calm down with the barking.

Yorkies!!! Can't live with them, can't live without them!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I hate to say this, but I CAN live without a yorkie. The one I had was impossible to potty train. Besides that, our personalities didn't match at all. He didn't want to have anything to do with me or anyone else. I had just never seen anything like it. He did like kids, so I found him a great home with kids to play with.

Now I do love Layni, my mi-ki. I trained her to use pads, but she quickly trained herself to go outside. She very rarely has an accident, and then it's usually my fault. She is the sweetest, most snuggly little thing, and she loves everybody.

I think it's a great idea to build a little playroom for your dogs, Janet! Sometimes just a little time apart does wonders!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Jessie and I did some research before she got Ginger Rose. Japanese Chins suited her because they are very quiet and calm. She loves Max and Annie, but could never put up with the barking and the peeing and pooping. Her little JoJo, however, isn't trained yet. She should crate him and train him once and for all, but he has her wrapped around his little paw!

Everybody has their own breeds that they take to. I love the yorkie energy and how bright they are. Annie is also a little cuddle bug, and Max just is perfect to me!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I really do love the Yorkie breed and I love my 5. The personalities they have are so funny and they are always doing something to crack me up.

I let them out this morning. I left them out longer than normal even though it was cold. I wanted to give them a better chance to 'go'. When I let them in...they all went poo inside. The boys do have belly bands so I don't worry about them peeing. The girls all pee on the pads, but once in a great while will go off the edge of the pad.

It's the pooping and eating it that is driving me insane the most. I want to love on them, but the thought of the poop eating always comes to mind when they get too near my face....gross.

The barking is bad too, but then there are times when I want them to bark..like when I'm home alone. So it's kind of a catch 22 situation. I know my patience isn't good right now because of the stress. It did help to vent. I look over at them all sleeping so sweetly....and quiet and can't help but think how lucky I am to have them. But when they wake up....well....I may have to place an ad!!!! LOLOL
Old 02-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I really do love the Yorkie breed and I love my 5. The personalities they have are so funny and they are always doing something to crack me up.

The barking is bad too, but then there are times when I want them to bark..like when I'm home alone. So it's kind of a catch 22 situation. I know my patience isn't good right now because of the stress. It did help to vent. I look over at them all sleeping so sweetly....and quiet and can't help but think how lucky I am to have them. But when they wake up....well....I may have to place an ad!!!! LOLOL
LOL! Janet, I was just going to say that sometimes I get upset with the barking at the neighbor dog and at the doorbell - but then just like you, I remember that I LOVE it when they bark when I am home alone. They do bark more when Gary is gone, I think they are listening for him and they bark at ANY noise thinking he will appear! LOL!

They also serve as our backup doorbell because sometimes our doorbell doesn't ring and it never is very loud. We are always in the back of the house, so our Yorkie doorbells () serve us well! I just want them to shut up when I let our guest inside. If they know the guest, they do quiet down. If it is a stranger WATCH OUT! Our youngest Rex, will actually nip the heels of a stranger - so we have to be careful with him.

I wish we could use belly bands all the time - but we have a doggie door and they would have a FIT if they couldn't come and go at will. I don't want them going out with belly bands on!

We just dearly love their personalities and they are the perfect breed for Gary. We call them velcro dogs, they are on his lap every moment he is sitting down! They provide him so much joy and entertainment

Last edited by gja1000; 02-26-2010 at 08:24 AM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
Jessie and I did some research before she got Ginger Rose. Japanese Chins suited her because they are very quiet and calm. She loves Max and Annie, but could never put up with the barking and the peeing and pooping. Her little JoJo, however, isn't trained yet. She should crate him and train him once and for all, but he has her wrapped around his little paw!

Everybody has their own breeds that they take to. I love the yorkie energy and how bright they are. Annie is also a little cuddle bug, and Max just is perfect to me!
Mi-ki's are Chin, Papillon, and Maltese. I needed a calm, laid-back snuggler too I guess all dogs have their good and bad points, just like people. We just have to make the best match that we can
Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
paula1961

It's funny. Reading all of our posts. We all love our lil furbabies so much. They can get on our nerves for one reason or another but....who could part with them? As much as I get angry with Lucy for pooping inside, I could never get rid of that lil thing. And right now mine are at the groomer and the house is just too darn quiet. The puppy isn't even whining. If they were here, she would be wanting out of the expen to play

I too love the yorkie breed, stubborn as they are, they are the perfect breed for me.

My future dil is like you Betsi, she had a yorkie but just couldn't bond with it or something, anyway now my sister has it and it's like her child. They get along great!

Janet you should try the pineapple if you haven't already, I'm starting Lucy back on it today.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I can understand your fustration, Janet. When I first got Jazzi she ate the cat's poop. Gross!!!!! I think that some of that was our fault because the cat only had dog food to eat and I don't think that she processed it very well so it was appealing to Jazzi. We got rid of the cat this summer because she was very sickly and I think that Jazzi's poop eating has stopped.

As for the pooping and peeing in the house, I don't know how you correct it when you really don't know which one has done it. I take a curled up, noisy newspaper after mine and send them straight outside when I find that they've gone in the house. Jazzi's finally housebroken so I'm not finding much at all in the house anymore. Reuger's marking more than he used to but it's mostly on boxes that are out of place. I still scold him, show it to him, and send him outside.

Maybe you should try crating them and just let them out to potty. Try that for a day or two and see what happens. I know that it's hard but hang in there!!!

As for the barking, Jazzi is my barker and now has Reuger barking too. She barks at everything!!! I keep my rolled up newspaper nearby and as soon as I pick it up and whack the couch, the barking stops. She even barks when a doorbell rings on TV!!!! We go through good times and bad times with this one. Jazzi has certainly kept us on our toes!!! We realize what a good dog Reuger is now!!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Annie barks at certain commercials, if the singing or music is high pitched, and heaven forbid there is a dog barking on TV! She taught Max to do this too!

Betsi, the MiKi are an interesting combo! Chins are calm, maltese are so loving, and I don't know papillons. She is a good match for you!

Old 02-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh yes Diana! You had to remind me that both mine will eat cat poop, given the chance. I don't have a cat but my daughter does and when we have the boys over there, we have to put the baby gate up at the door to the room with the litter box so my boys won't go in and eat cat poop. YUK! Poor cat, I'm sure she hates to see us come as she has to jump the gate to get to her bathroom!