4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 02-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gary is feeling better

Hi All!
Gary had a checkup with his heart "nurse" today - he sees his nurse practitioner every month, and his heart doctor every 3 months (as long as he's not having any problems). He told his nurse today that he was feeling so much better! He acts like he is feeling better. He has lots more energy and is able to do more things. They changed his heart medicine in September and have been slowly increasing it, and he has steadily felt better and better. It is so good to see him feeling better and able to do more things.

He also started wearing c-pap about 3 weeks ago, for his sleep apnea. He has tried on 3 separate occasions in the past 8 years, to wear c-pap to stop his sleep apnea, but was never able to tolerate the machine and/or the mask. Before Christmas the nurse practitioner at the lung doctor talked to him about a new c-pap machine and a new type of mask, actually it isn't a mask at all, it's a mouthpiece (he is a mouth breather). So, we got the machine and he has been able to tolerate it - although it is still annoying at times, he is able to sleep with it and today he admitted that he feels like he is sleeping better and feels more alert during the day. YAY! Tonight he is going to wear a monitor to check his oxygen levels to see if the c-pap is taking care of his low oxygen at night. If his oxygen stays up in the normal range with the c-pap while he sleeps, then he won't have to use oxygen anymore at night!

Although it is just one more piece of equipment in a long list of "things" that we have to manage and use - I am grateful that he has the opportunity to have it and that it seems to be working to help him feel better!

He has been "sick" (diagnosed with heart failure) for 6 years now, and it has been a long road. There have been times in the past 6 years where he has felt better than he does now, but not many. It feels so good to see him feeling good right now. Keep your fingers crossed that it lasts for a while! Oh, and I'm going to knock on wood for good measure!

Last edited by gja1000; 02-01-2010 at 08:14 PM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Makes you want to go and do while he's feeling good, doesn't it? Maybe it will last a long, long time. My son Dustin sleeps with a c-pap, and so does my brother. They both love them and feel so much more rested!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Yes, it does make us want to go do things NOW!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I just knocked on wood 3 times Gayle! Go do good, fun things! My prayers that this good feeling stays!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
paula1961

Gayle, I'm so glad that Gary is feeling better. Now go have some fun
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
Gayle, I am so glad to hear that Gary is feeling better, I hope it continues for a long time and you both can go and enjoy doing things.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I'm going to knock on wood too (plus keep him in my prayers) that Gary just keeps feeling better and better.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #8
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Gayle, sooo glad to hear that things are good and that Gary is feeling better these days. Enjoy this time!!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks so much everyone, I sure appreciate all the well wishes!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Gayle, what wonderful news that Gary is feeling better!!!

My MIL had a c-pap when we were at Nebraska that she just started using. Brenda has purchased a little thing that goes on your finger to tell what your oxygen level was. It was a neat little gizmo. She said that she got it for about $100 somewhere. She took it to the hospital and they were amazed with it and that's what they used to check my mil's levels while she was there. You might want to check into getting something like that for home.

I think that this is what my MIL had

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030OAUN0/...SIN=B0030OAUN0

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Diana!!! Thanks so much for that link. I had no idea you could buy pulse oximeters over the counter! Gary wore one on his finger a couple of nights ago from our oxygen company and it showed his oxygen is still dipping a little low at night, even with the c-pap, so he has to resume using the oxygen with the c-pap. They were hoping the c-pap would take care of everything, but apparently not.

I just ordered the oxygen monitoring device from Amazon - thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Now, we can monitor his oxygen with some everyday activities, something I've been wanting to do for a long time.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

That's great! The more control you have over your own health, the better!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm glad that the link was useful. I know that my MIL has been using hers a lot and that it's been really useful for her. Now you can keep a better eye on Gary's numbers. You take such good care of Gary!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks again Diana! I got an email today that it has shipped. I can't wait for it to get here!