4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 02-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Grrrrr!

My city, Austin, has several foot races each year - well today we got caught (literally) in a marathon - yep, a 26 miler!!! It was a HUGE rectangle from north Austin to central Austin.

Unknowlingly, we decided to eat breakfast right in the middle of that rectangle. We drove down there before the race started, but when we tried to get home, the racers were crossing the street we needed to drive on to get home. We sat for 10 minutes, thinking they would eventually hold the racers so the traffic could pass. I don't know if they ever did that as we turned around and tried to get to another street to get home.

Nope.

We might have eventually found a way out of the rectangle if we'd continued to try different side streets - but we just gave up - drove about 9 miles south and FINALLY found a street open to make it to the freeway so we could get home.

Fortunately, we were not in a hurry - but we were mightily irritated. I could not believe that they had traffic boxed in like that!!! If you were inside the race rectangle, it was not easy to get out!!!
Old 02-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Sounds like it wasn't a well thought out route. I would have been a little upset myself.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

That is so inconsiderate! Especially on Valentine's Day when people are going out visiting or to a restaurant.

Every fall the same thing happens in Brooklyn on a Saturday morning. I always forgot! It was at the same time I was going to teach at Kingsborough Community College,we had to do the same as you....go blocks and blocks to get on the highway to come around. I was always late for class on those days!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I guess it was a minor blip in the grand scheme of things, but seriously, how do you not put up detour signs and tell everyone how to escape!!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

It sounds like who ever planned it failed to think about the traffic that would be trying to go through. There should have been some signs for you to figure out where to cross the line of walkers. At least you didn't let it spoil your day!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote