4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh, hello winter!

Winter sure came fast this year! It has been storming since Monday with rain and then snow starting Monday evening. By the time we left work yesterday the roads were pretty bad! The driveway had big drifts when we got home but we were able to drive into the garage. The wind was howling all night! Scott shovelled the driveway this morning and slipped a lot of times. I looked out the window before we left and the streets were glare ice! I wanted to stay home but Scott was adamant about going in to work today. So we left. The highway was just as bad! It was like a skating rink! It took us almost an hour to get in today, when it usually takes 20-30 minutes.

Someone from work took our Mexican/Arizona employees out for a drive yesterday to show them how to drive in these kind of conditions and they came back pretty scared and nervous! They have not come in to the office yet this morning! I wonder if they will make it all day. Too bad we couldn't get a nice ease into winter this year, but still it gets worse than this! I hope it hasn't scared them away from Canada for good lol!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
OMG!!! I don't even want to think about that stuff already. I am not ready for it, of course i am never ready for it. I hope you co-workers made it to work ok.

Where i live they are putting in what is called the Hoosier Heartland Corridor, which is a 4 lane freeway and it is come right pass my house, well they have been working on the bridges all summer and most days on my way home from work the dust was blowing so hard that you could barely see in front of you, I am dreading this winter bad because there is nothing there to block the snow when it blows and my road is already bad enough with all of the traffic on it.

You guys be careful out there.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Snow already! It's hard for me to imagine...we're still waiting for it to get out of the 80s. I'm jealous
Old 10-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Lindsay! I can't imagine snow - it was 91 here today. BUT there is supposed to be a cool front tonight and it is supposed to only be 76 tomorrow. But SNOW and glare ice, no way! I hate glare ice - we call it black ice, it really isn't black, but it's that kind of ice that you don't see or know you are on till it is too late and you have done a 360 in your car!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Gayle, we call that black ice here too when you can't see it!

The roads in town and in the city are still super icy but the highway was great this morning. We left our house at 6:50 this morning and were able to drop Layla off at the university on the opposite end of the city at 7:30. I made it to work on time, and Scott should be making it pretty close. I think this will need to be our winter schedule!

All of my coworkers made it in yesterday, but there was a bit of complaining going on lol.

It's supposed to warm up next week, up to about 11 degrees C (52 F) in the middle of the week, so the snow will all be gone. According to the forecast, there's no more snow for at least 2 more weeks, which is good because we need to get our Christmas lights up

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I sure don't want any snow to come....Lindsey...you just keep it up there with you. It's so cold here this morning (44 degrees) and the wind is still blowing. Suppose to get down to 26 tonight so I'll have to plug the bus in so it will start in the morning. It can be cold if it has to, but please....no snow.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh I hate when it's cold WITHOUT snow! Especially getting close to Christmas, I love the snow. I just wish it would go away in January instead of March or April lol.

This morning when we dropped off Layla it was -13 C (about 8 F) and it actually felt like winter. It hasn't been THAT cold the last few days, just a little below freezing. I'm glad I wore my mittens today!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Here are some pictures from the newspaper:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Galler...600/story.html

Old 10-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

WOW! It really did turn into winter! And some people forgot how to drive on ice and snow!

Thanks for sharing those pictures, we never hardly see snow down here, so that was great!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

BBBBRRRRRRRR..........It makes me cold just looking at the pictures!! As much as I like the snow I'm not ready for it!!! We're getting cooler, enough that the central heat is now on, and I think that we frosted last night. That's all I'm wanting for the moment!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

We are definitely cooler too. It's 52 now at 10:30PM. That's pretty chilly for us this time of year. I'm ready though, I'm so sick of my summer clothes. I'm ready for a change.

I'm so glad it is cooler now for our move to the acreage house. Moving in the heat is just unbearable!
Old 10-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

That flower picture is beautiful! Are you ready for the snow? Boots, down coats, hats and gloves?

We had a very light snow last week, but it has been fairly nice in the afternoons.
Some days are very gray though. That's the good thing about snow. It's usually sunny when snow falls. I hear we are going to have a cold weekend, but I wore flip flops Tuesday and Wednesday.

Stay warm, drive safely, and have fun in the snow!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I can't believe you are still able to wear flip flops Judy! Mine were put away about a month ago! It has been gloomy all week but today is bright and sunny, which makes the snow look beautiful! I think most of it will be melting though. The winds have died down so we can fix up our Halloween decorations today, and pick up our giant pumpkin leaf bags that blew into the neighbor's yard!

My winter stuff is always on hand! I was very happy to see that with all that Layla's been through this year, she hasn't forgotten her love of chewing on mittens lol!