4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > My Pictures & Videos!

Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

roses

My roses are really pretty now - we planted them this summer in pots in the front yard. This one is called Disneyland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0987.jpg (86.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0988.jpg (77.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0989.jpg (76.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-04-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
Those are beautiful!!! are they in bloom now? Good thing you planted them in pots so you can take them to the new house.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Gayle they are beautiful!!!!! I love roses and seeing these photos after the snow we got last night..just seems so unreal. I have got to move to Texas...lol
Old 12-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

What beautiful roses, Gayle!!!! I love the colors!!! I've tried roses and I just don't do something right. The last one I finally just dug up and threw it away!!!! It didn't bloom........just had greenery. However......I just love roses!!!!! I'm jealous!!!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

OMG! What colors! You truly have a green thumb Gayle!

We have snow up here, so no flowers at all. Thanks for the pix though. It is nice to know that somewhere flowers are blooming!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
paula1961

Gorgeous roses!! Judy's right you do have a green thumb Gayle. Everything you plant just blossoms!! My Mom is like that too. Seems like everything I plant just wilts and dies
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Those are just gorgeous Gayle. You've done a wonderful job with them.

I still have my pots, dirt and seeds sitting in my porch untouched since last summer
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Yep, they are still blooming here in Texas - we haven't had a freeze here in town yet!

OK, the trick to roses, is the roses you buy. If you want to have roses, you need to buy an antique rose - they are bullet proof. See, the new roses are hybrids, and they are much more fragile and difficult to care for. Go to a local nursery and you will find antique roses - you can't get the at Home Depot or Walmart. Oh, the Knockout roses are pretty easy to grow too. Be sure to look at the picture of the antique roses - because since they are very old, sometimes the blooms are not as pretty as the new hybrid one. But many of the old ones have really pretty blooms, but not all have pretty blooms.

Also, the soil and fertilizer you use for roses makes a difference. If you plant in the ground, you should work in some soil that is made especially for roses - and if you pot them, then you should use all rose soil. Again, the local nurseries will have bags of rose soil. You should use an organic fertilizer that is made for blooming plants. That will really help. Make sure it is organic, and do not use a chemical fertilizer like Miracle Gro or anything like that. It will deplete the soil and ultimately do more harm than good.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Yep, they are still blooming here in Texas - we haven't had a freeze here in town yet!

OK, the trick to roses, is the roses you buy. If you want to have roses, you need to buy an antique rose - they are bullet proof. See, the new roses are hybrids, and they are much more fragile and difficult to care for. Go to a local nursery and you will find antique roses - you can't get the at Home Depot or Walmart. Oh, the Knockout roses are pretty easy to grow too. Be sure to look at the picture of the antique roses - because since they are very old, sometimes the blooms are not as pretty as the new hybrid one. But many of the old ones have really pretty blooms, but not all have pretty blooms.

Also, the soil and fertilizer you use for roses makes a difference. If you plant in the ground, you should work in some soil that is made especially for roses - and if you pot them, then you should use all rose soil. Again, the local nurseries will have bags of rose soil. You should use an organic fertilizer that is made for blooming plants. That will really help. Make sure it is organic, and do not use a chemical fertilizer like Miracle Gro or anything like that. It will deplete the soil and ultimately do more harm than good.
Wow so much to learn
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote