4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Back In The Hospital

Yesterday started off pretty good. Mom felt good enough to go to Wal Mart and do some grocery shopping. Of course she rides one of the cart things, but she was doing good.

After we got home she started getting weaker and weaker and decided to go to bed for some rest. Her BP and temp were normal. She had been having loose stools and her hemorrhoids started hurting again. Long story short....my brothers came out and we took her back to the hospital.

Mom was severely dehydrated because of the loose stool, complaining of stomach pain and her potassium was dangerously low. She was admitted. The hospital did EKG, a scan where she had to drink this contrast stuff to see her abdomen and a chest xray. Mom has diverticulitis again, white cells are elevated, fluid in her lungs, and just not doing well.

Mom has been ill before, but this time it seems different. Unless she has a vast improvement....I just don't know if she'll make it home. They are not going to let her eat for two days....only fluid and that has always been extremely hard on her. Mom has always bounced back...but she's getting so tired.

My older brother and I didn't get home until after 2 this morning so I needed to stay home and sleep a bit. I will head over right after my route this afternoon. Not sure what I want to ask of you all at this time.....maybe prayers...that she doesn't suffer any longer or that her health can be somewhat restored, which ever is best and of course...God's Will. I feel so bad for her and all the tests they do. She gets so afraid of the tests and stresses so bad because she has such a low pain tolerance and worries how bad it will hurt...or how bad it will taste.

I wish I could stay with her at the hospital, but I'll have to make do with driving back and forth between routes.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Oh Janet I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope she starts gaining her strength back. Many cyber hugs your way.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

So, so sorry Janet. If your mom hates the tests so much, just don't do them. Call in hospice, and they will keep her comfortable. I'm not saying this lightly, but I've been in your shoes. God bless you both!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
paula1961

So very sorry to hear this Janet. I know all too well what you're going through. I know you don't want her to suffer. It will work out like it's supposed to no matter what...it's in God's hands. Your Mom is in my prayers and so are you and your brothers. Hugs to you friend.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
So, so sorry Janet. If your mom hates the tests so much, just don't do them. Call in hospice, and they will keep her comfortable. I'm not saying this lightly, but I've been in your shoes. God bless you both!
I'm going to try and check in with Hospice, but please tell me more of your experience Betsi and just exactly what do they do?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Janet, I'm so sorry! It is so hard when so many things are wrong and no one can seem to get them fixed. I know she is tired and wants this to be over. I think Betsi's suggestion of Hospice is a good one - they know how to help people feel comfortable and have the best quality of life at the end. And don't think that using hospice means that she is going to die in the next few weeks. Many people enter hospice and do so well, they get discharged from hospice. It is a good choice though, when people need help being comfortable without a lot of medical intervention.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hospice care makes sense for now Janet. It seems to me that going back and forth to the hospital, being tested all of the time, and getting weaker, then stronger are so stressful to the body!

You will know in your heart what is best. Hospice is not always a "last stop." She sure needs a lot of TLC, and medical professionals around. This might be just the right thing for her.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Hospice is great Janet. All you have to do is contact them, and they will send someone to tell you all about it. Basically, it means that you stop with all the tests, and just keep her comfortable. Oxygen or pain meds or whatever she needs to feel better, but no life saving measures. Hospice also provides emotional support for the family. Just give them a call. I used hospice for both my parents and Mike's dad, and I'm so glad I did. If you don't, the hospital and docs will just keep doing tests and procedures whether they really help or not, because that's what they have to do.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Oh Janet, I'm so sorry! It is so hard when so many things are wrong and no one can seem to get them fixed. I know she is tired and wants this to be over. I think Betsi's suggestion of Hospice is a good one - they know how to help people feel comfortable and have the best quality of life at the end. And don't think that using hospice means that she is going to die in the next few weeks. Many people enter hospice and do so well, they get discharged from hospice. It is a good choice though, when people need help being comfortable without a lot of medical intervention.
Hospice sounds scary but many people do well and get discharge. Talk to your mom and see if she wants to sign the DNR paper or not. That is very important especially when there moved to hospice. If she does not sign make sure they are very aware of it.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
2tiredmom

Janet,

If you need to talk call me or message me on facebook. My mom had hospice too.
I stayed with her for 2 weeks before she died. They are wonderful people and will answer any questions you have no matter what time of the day or night it is.
They were a God send to us at that time. I hope shes feeling better today.
My moms care was though Home hospital in Lafayette. Your all in my prayers.
Hugs..
Linda
Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm so sorry to hear that your Mom's back in the hospital. I'm sure that everyone's tired of dealing with everything. I've never dealt with hospice so I don't have much to say but it sounds like something to check in to. I'm here if you need me!! Hugs and prayers for you both!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
Shada

Janet I am so sorry. You and your Mom have been thru so much. I really don't know what to say other than my prayers are with you both.

I sincerely pray for healing and peace to you both.

Hospice is a wonderful help, to the patient and to the family.

[HUGS]
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote