4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Recipes

Old 11-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Thanksgiving Recipes

Thanksgiving is just a week away. I was curious about what recipes you use at your family gatherings. Do you have a recipe for a pie, sweet potatoes, corn, stuffing? ......or maybe something else that if you don't fix it it just isn't Thanksgiving. Come on and share. I'll post mine later!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Carolyn

Yeah what does everyone eat on Thanksgiving! We usually have an antipasto, lasagna, of course the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, turnips, stuffed mushrooms, a few veggies like carrots with brown sugar, brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce (yuck), and for dessert I make a cheesecake, cookies and a cake the kids like. Of course all this is consumed with Pinot Grigio wine, beer and for dessert expresso with Sambuca! I know I'm leaving something out but I can't remember since I'm thinking about the wine, beer and Sambuca!!
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Here's a couple of recipes that I use for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I also make the crescent rolls that are on another thread. I hope that you enjoy my recipes.

Cranberry Fluff

1 1/2 c. sugar (or Splenda, if you're diabetic)
1 pkg. fresh cranberries
2 c. seedless grapes (I use purple grapes, not green)
1 c. chopped pecans
1-8 oz. Cool Whip (sugar-free, if you're diabetic)

Grind the cranberries and mix with the sugar. Refrigerate overnight. Add the rest of the ingredients and chill a couple of hours before serving.

Lime and Cream Cheese Jello

2 c. boiling water
2 pkg. lime jello
1-8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 can 15 oz. crushed pineapple
1 c. chopped pecans
1-8 oz. Cool Whip
1/2 c. grated cheese

Add lime jello to the boiling water and dissolve. Then blend in the cream cheese and beat with a mixer until dissolved. (This will look a little lumpy.) Add 1 c. cold water, pineapple, and nuts. Stir well. Chill until firm. Top with Cool Whip and sprinkle cheese on top.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn
Yeah what does everyone eat on Thanksgiving! We usually have an antipasto, lasagna, of course the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, turnips, stuffed mushrooms, a few veggies like carrots with brown sugar, brussel sprouts, cranberry sauce (yuck), and for dessert I make a cheesecake, cookies and a cake the kids like. Of course all this is consumed with Pinot Grigio wine, beer and for dessert expresso with Sambuca! I know I'm leaving something out but I can't remember since I'm thinking about the wine, beer and Sambuca!!
OMG Carolyn ...you have a traditional italian feast..lol There was no lasagna back in the day.lol I am italian to, but this is the one holiday that I don't serve the antipasto or lasagna. I make a delicious chicken soup I do put in tortelli...lol , then we have the turkey and all the side dishes. I make mashed potatoes,with bacon ,sweet potato pie, in which I will write the receipe later on its awesome. All the veggie side dishes, stuffed mushrooms, cranberry sauce and everyone brings the wine and desserts. I am a Pinot Grigio lover myself...lol This year I have been invited out...Happy Thanksgiving you all...lol
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB
Here's a couple of recipes that I use for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I also make the crescent rolls that are on another thread. I hope that you enjoy my recipes.

Cranberry Fluff

1 1/2 c. sugar (or Splenda, if you're diabetic)
1 pkg. fresh cranberries
2 c. seedless grapes (I use purple grapes, not green)
1 c. chopped pecans
1-8 oz. Cool Whip (sugar-free, if you're diabetic)

Grind the cranberries and mix with the sugar. Refrigerate overnight. Add the rest of the ingredients and chill a couple of hours before serving.

Lime and Cream Cheese Jello

2 c. boiling water
2 pkg. lime jello
1-8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 can 15 oz. crushed pineapple
1 c. chopped pecans
1-8 oz. Cool Whip
1/2 c. grated cheese

Add lime jello to the boiling water and dissolve. Then blend in the cream cheese and beat with a mixer until dissolved. (This will look a little lumpy.) Add 1 c. cold water, pineapple, and nuts. Stir well. Chill until firm. Top with Cool Whip and sprinkle cheese on top.

Thanks for the receipes Diana, they sound great , I am going to try them..
Old 11-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
khardy57

I do the basic cooking, and my mother and sisters bring the rest. I cook the turkey, dressing, giblet gravy, and baked beans (for my Daddy!)My mother and sisters bring potato salad, cranberry sauce, broccoli casserole, sweet potato souffle', pecan pie, some kind of cakes (one sister owns a bakery), six cup salad, and green beans

My baked beans are a little different:

1 huge can Bush's baked beans
1/2 onion finely chopped
3/4 c Cane Patch syrup or molasses
1/2 bell pepper finely chopped
1/2 c catsup
1/2 c mustard

Mix all the above and cover the top with strips of bacon. Bake at 375 until lightly brown and bubbly. Daddy makes himself sick eating these every year and the first thing he always asks is if I'm going to do the beans.

Six cup salad:

1 cup mandarin orange slices, drained
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup sour cream
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained

Mix all together and chill several hours before serving.

Dressing:

1/2 cornbread and 1/2 homemade biscuits all crumbled together. ( I use a huge iron skillet to make the cornbread)
1/2 onion finely chopped
2 sticks celery finely chopped
1 tbsp poultry seasoning
3 eggs

Enough broth from a boiled chicken and the drippings from the turkey to thoroughly wet all the above. (very wet!) Mix well, bake at 375 until lightly browned on top

Giblet gravy:

neckbones and nasties (liver, heart, etc.) from the turkey before cooking

boil the neckbones and nasties with enough water to cover well. set aside

Take a stick of butter and melt in skillet. Add flour like you're making gravy and stir constantly over medium heat. Pour the broth from the nasties over the flour mixture and stir well. Strip the meat off the neckbones, chop the nasties along with a boiled egg and add to the gravy. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve over dressing.

Well, that's the part I cook along with homemade sourdough bread!
khardy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Gina

Sweet Potato Pie

3 lbs. sweet Potatoes- Boil with skin on.... = about 9 large potatoes <remove skins after they are cooked>
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs- beat in
1/2 stick of melted margarine
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanillla

Mix above ingred. well

Put into 1 1/2 Qt. casserole dish

Mix And Sprinkle On Top:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 stick margarine

Bake @ 350 degrees for 35 minutes

Girls if you like sweet poatoes you will love this receipe , my family and friends go crazy for this... Enjoy!!