4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Grass

I recently moved back to my house and my backyard has no grass

Would it be better to buy patches of grass or buy some sort of seeds to grow grass. I never once planted anything in my life so I'm totally lost here. Is there a brand or useful soil or miracle grow
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I hope Gayle sees this she's the one with the green thumb. Me???? I'd just throw out some grass seed and see what happens...lol
Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

What kind of grass do you want Jessica? Is your backyard shady or sunny? If very shady, about the only grass you can plant is St. Augustine. If part sunny/shady, you can plant zoysia or St. Augustine. Zoysia and St. Augustine can't be seeded, it has to be planted in squares or plugs. If it is totally sunny, you'd be best to go with bermuda or buffalo grass. Bermuda can be seeded, I'm not sure about buffalo. Buffalo grass is the best and requires much less water and mowing. You CANNOT keep bermuda out of flower beds, it is very invasive and I hate it, but bermuda and buffalo are about the only choices if your backyard is sunny. Also, anything you plant right now is going to need lots of water for the rest of the summer as it will die if not watered at least twice a week (more frequently when you first plant or seed it).

If the backyard is hard dirt, then you will need to amend the soil before planting any type of grass. You may need to have it tilled up (plowed) and definitely need to have some compost worked into or tilled into the soil. If the soil is loose and easily dug up, then it will probably be OK to put grass in without amending the soil - but it will need to be tilled or loosened before putting in grass.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I hope Gayle sees this she's the one with the green thumb. Me???? I'd just throw out some grass seed and see what happens...lol
Lol, that would be me too.

Ok Gayle I will re-read this again. My man said my backyard is shady ( I actually like that) but I do see sun

I do have hard dirt

Also, I would like to learn how to plant a garden or some rose/flower beds. Would that need to be consider when picking the grass. I have a small area in front of my house that's not connected to my front yard that gets lots of sun.

Ok now I need to surf for St Augustine
Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

How nice Jessica! It will make your house so beautiful, and gardening is so satisfying!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
How nice Jessica! It will make your house so beautiful, and gardening is so satisfying!
My problem with hobbies is that I'm always willing but I never finish

But now that I hit my big 30 I hope I can finish a task
Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

OK, if you are going to try to have a garden or rose bed, do NOT put bermuda back there - it will be in the garden and beds and you won't be able to keep it out. You will HATE it!

Put the roses in the sunny area you mentioned - they MUST have 6-8 hours of direct sun every day - they won't live nor bloom in shade. Knockout roses or antique roses are the easiest to grow. The hybrid roses get all sorts of diseases and are quite tedious to grow, but knockout roses and antique roses are very easy, as long as they are in the sun. Pay attention to the tag that lists their size (how tall and wide they will get). Some antique roses get VERY tall and wide. I don't think knockout roses get very big though.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Gayle, you are such a help!!! I really appreciate you!!!!

Could you come up here and help me get my yard figured out??? I can do the flowers but when it comes to grass......UGH!!!!

If it weren't for crabgrass and weeds I'd have NOTHING in my yard!!!! Hubby figures that since he planted it once that it's good enough!!!......I will admit that I DO have a little bit of grass....but not much!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I totally agree with Diana , you are so helpful in many areas. I'm going to go shopping for grass today.

Keep your fingers cross people
Old 05-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

LOL! Diana! I am of NO help about grass that grows in Kansas!!! I know bermuda will grow up there, but you know how I feel about bermuda. I think there is a type of zoysia grass and I think it is called zenith - that may grow well. Also tall fescue might do well up there but I'm not sure. Just poke around on the internet to find a grass that is not invasive - bermuda is definitely INVASIVE!
Old 05-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I can tell you're noy from around here Gayle..lolol....I've only heard of Bluegrass...that's what we planted.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I can tell you're noy from around here Gayle..lolol....I've only heard of Bluegrass...that's what we planted.
LOL! No, I certainly don't know a thing about northern grass. I have lived in northern Oklahoma, which is close to where Diana lives.