4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Ready To Lose It!!!

It's 1:00 AM and I'm sitting here in bed waiting on my son to get home. Haven't see. Him since 2:00 this afternoon. He went overt a friends hose to help him set up for a bonfire at his new home.

I saw on Facebook where his friend posted a picture of a keg of beer. I did text Ricky and told him not to drink and driver ride with anyone else who has. He texted back "I won't".

He has to be at work at 8:00 in the morning. He's soon to be 21 years old so I don't want to nag at him but he's not being very responsible and I'm worried.

Guess I need to text him and remind him he has to be at work in 7 hours. Being a parent is so hard sometimes.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Janet

I just texted him asking if he realizes he had to be at work at 8 and he texted back "ya". That was it. When do you let something like this pass? If he wants to come home anytime he wants then I feel he needs to get his own home. Not that I want him to move out but I don't like this waking up and realizing he hasn't been home yet from a party.

I so want to smack him!!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

It is really hard Janet. It's so hard when our kids grow up and spread their wings. You are right to worry about the drinking. There is no excuse for drinking and driving - it is dangerous and foolish. Hopefully, he didn't drink. You've raised him well and he has a good head on his shoulders, I think he'll use it.

But sometimes we just have to let them make their bed and and them lie in it. He's going to feel miserable today at work and he will pay for his late night out. I think he's being a little rebellious, Mom!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
Janet

He finally made It home at 2:00 this morning. Of course I lost a lot of sleep worrying. I trust Ricky, but you never know if so some one will slip something in someone else's drink. Today is so dangerous for kids and young adults.

He didn't drink thank God. He'll drink a small glass of wine with me once in a great while, but doesn't like any other alcohol. He just likes the socializing the most. Sometimes I worry over nothing, but I cant help it

He did come in and let me know he was home safe. He's a good young man...I need to keep telling myself that.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Good luck! 21 is such a tough age for a Mom! They aren't babies, but we know they aren't nearly as grown as they think they are, and we aren't nearly as stupid and annoying as they think we are.

If you know that he doesn't like to drink though, I think you may be worrying about something that is unlikely to happen. Maybe you can go online to MADD, and see what they suggest. Maybe you and he can write up a contract with each other that he won't drink, and you won't call or text.

When Jessie got her first car, she was about 18. I was in a panic mode, but I made a pact with my mother's soul in Heaven. If she watched over Jessie, I would forgive her for the bad way she treated me as a kid. I also prayed fiercely, and asked God and any guardian angels to take care of her.

It isn't such a bad thing if he is late to work, or makes other mistakes, while he is living with you so that you help him get up if he falls. I used to tell Joel to leave her alone...let her fall down while we can pick her up. Then, when she is out on her own, she will have some wisdom under her belt.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Janet

Well....he said he didn't drink anything but 3 cans of pop. Said he'll have to stay away from it for a few days because it will most likely make his face breakout. He enjoyed the bonfire and the socializing. He did say it was a long work day....lol....he worked from 8 until 6:30 and didn't make it to bed until after 2:00 this morning. Then...being the stinker I am.....I made sure to wake him up around 6:45 so he would have time to take a shower before work. He really wasn't impressed...LOL.

I'm glad he doesn't like to drink like so many others his age, they think they can't party without booze.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
highlans

My son is 22 and boy do I worry, he is a good boy and never really caused me to worry only like you late night's several times when I have woken and he is not home I text to see if he is ok.

When he first passed his driveing test I made him come home by 10pm if he took the car as my daughter who is a police officer said most boy racer accidents were after 11pm, my husband said you can't do that but I said whilst we pay for his car I will.

He graduated last month and is currently traveling around America and Hawaii with a friend for 6 weeks I asked him to text me as he arrive in each destination and bless him he has only I did forget the time differance and it has been in the middle of the night but hey cannot complain he is doing as he was told.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Tiramisu

I raised mine before cell phones and survived.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
Janet

So did a lot of people Sandy. I'm sure glad we have it now. It definitely helps settling down my nerves.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

My son didn't drink but would go to the parties too. He mostly went to check up on some cousins that he was close to and make sure they didn't get in trouble. I don't think that he stayed long but I did know that he went.

I think that with Rick's drinking that Ricky will avoid drinking because he won't want his Dad's problem. He's seen what it does and I'm sure that he doesn't want that. Talk to him and I'm sure he'll put your worries to rest. He's a good boy!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote