4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 01-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Public Schools

I don't know if I'm being over protective or what but public schools are getting on my nerves. I get calls because my boy forgot to put his belt on. But I get a note saying he hasn't been turning in his homework (and I had to go digging for that note). I also get called from the principle office because my boy made a girl cried because he didn't want to speak to her ( i don't believe in making my boys hang out with people they don't want to hang out with).

And then today I get a pink slip from my oldest saying his assign SAC (like detention but during class time) for not attending detention. I pick him up from detention so how can they tell me he wasn't there. He told me that he didn't know he was suppose to sign in and out since it was his 1st time and no one told him. He got detention because he forgot his ID at home and he did call me from grandmas so I can give him his ID but I was already on my way to work. Even if I was home I don't see why I should drive to drop his ID. I knew they were going to scold him or take points off or things like that to punish them. I thought detention was too big of punishment for forgetting his ID ONCE but ok so be it. But then to take him off class because someone forgot to informed new people in detention to sign in is just ridiculous. I wrote them a letter saying I do not approve of my boy attending SAC when I know he attended detention. And if they want me to sign the pink slip to resend me one saying his attending SAC for not signing in at detention.

I will likely go up their and have a talk with them but I want to know from your point off view, am I wrong? No wonder my kids dread going to school. I want them to learn not be treated like if their in bootcamp. How can they learn when their treated like robots and not like individuals.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

This sounds awful Jessica! Public education can be really bad. I would recommend that you go to their school, and make yourself known to the administration, and any teachers who are giving your boys a hard time. I was a teacher, and I know from experience that a parent must be the advocate for their children. It stinks, but that's the way it is. If you don't get what you expect for your kids, keep talking to the admin. Remember, it is the squeaky wheel that gets greased!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
2tiredmom

I don't think you're wrong. I'm with Judy. Make it known that your there and won't be bullied either. I'm so glad my kids are out of high school. It just seems to be getting worse instead of better. Good Luck. I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I see it too Jessica, being a bus driver. I'd take Judy's advice and let them know who you are and what you expect from them also, not just what they expect from you and your boys. I'm just glad mine is out of school and I don't have to deal with that stuff. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I agree.....Go in and talk to them. Remember you're an adult so don't let them intimidate you. I've found that usually when I go and talk to the teachers they usually back down. It's easy to get on to a child but when it's a parent they are as intimidated by you as you are of them.

I agree that things are changing in the schools. I had four kids go through and it wasn't until the last one that I went in and talked to several different ones. Be a mother hen and don't back down!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Thank you for your support. It is getting worse over here and I'm trying to keep my cool. Those people think they have so much authority

All I hear from teachers all the time how the best students are the ones with a stay at home mother. They should know not everyone has that advantage and even if I was a stay at home mom I wouldn't want to do everything for my boys. How will they learn to be independent just to please the teachers. And then I always get the look when I go meet the teacher. I look extremely young so I don't even get their undivided attention and they ignore my question to talk to the older mother. I have to raise my squeaky voice and then I sound rude .

And those teachers need to go back to school themselves. Most of my kids have had bad teachers and I wasn't allowed to switch them. I don't want them to hate school at this young age. It's just not fair.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I know that Jaci had some teachers that shouldn't have been teaching. The students would complain and the principal would go down and sit in the room but he would straighten up while the principal was there so their complaints were useless. The sad part is that after three years he's still there. Jaci didn't take advanced math her last year of school because of him and his teaching methods. So sad.

There were many times that I threatened to go in and talk to the teacher or principal but the kids didn't want me to. I wish now that I would have done it anyway.

Want me to come down there and go with ya'???? Just kidding!!! Can you tell that I'm pretty fed up with our school? I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with them anymore. Now......my son's on the school board and things would be a LOT different if I had kids in school!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

My two younger grandchildren are in the 4th grade, and both teachers are terrible! One is meaner than the other, but they have had such bad reputations for years. One of the 3rd grade teachers in the school took her own daughter out, and sent her to 4th grade in another school, because these 2 are so mean.

One of their husbands is president of the school board, which seems to give them both a free pass to do whatever they want. A parent really made a fuss at the beginning of the year, and they called Child Welfare on her!!!

If I was a parent, OMG!!! I would be very troublesome at that school, and at the school board meetings! But, then, Jessie's principal knew how I liked my coffee, I was up to her school about her 3rd grade teacher so often!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I really wish teacher were a competitive job. But as I can see anyone can be a teacher. It really pisses me off how models and actors make more money that a teacher. If they would pay teachers better salaries there would be more applicants therefore more competition so at the end kids would be better off.