4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Venting!!!

OMG! I have spent several hours today trying to negotiate the health care delivery system.

First I needed to change two insurance addresses for my mom. I didn't realize my mom's insurance things were still being forwarded to us by the post office until our year of forwarding service was up December 20th. Then mom's mail started going to our rent house and our renters kept the mail but didn't give it to us till Jan. 3. Mom had a lot of mail from her two supplemental insurance policies after her hospitalization in October. Of course they wouldn't let me change the address over the phone without talking to her to verify that it was OK for me to do that (I tried to do that last week to no avail). So today, I went to her apartment and called them. I was on hold for about 20 minutes with the first insurance company and then over 30 minutes with the second one and THEN it was the wrong department and I had to start over. Fortunately, the second call took only about 5 minutes. I just can't understand why customer service is SOOOOO BAD!!!

Then, Gary's mail-in prescription service changed from Medco to Caremark after Jan. 1. Gary takes 15 RX meds, plus he gets his insulin from them. I got a letter in Dec. telling us it would change after Jan. 1, but here it is Jan. 10th and not another word about how to get meds from the new provider, Caremark. Tonight I got on Caremark's website and tried to register, but couldn't because I didnt have a Caremark RX card. So I called Caremark - another 20 minutes on hold - only to go round and round and round and finally found the information I needed to register on the website so I could see Gary's prescriptions for re-order (thankfully, the scripts from Medco were transferred to Caremark). BUT THEN, I could not register, it wouldn't let me, even though I had the information I supposedly needed. SOOOOO, another call to customer service - maybe on hold only 10 minutes this time - and I found out the reason I couldn't register is that he was already registered. HUH? How could that be. Well, his insurance used Caremark SEVEN YEARS AGO, and he was still registered in their computer system. Can you believe that!!! I would think when you were no longer eligible for benefits, you would be kicked out of the system, but nooooooo. So, the kindly gentleman gave me our old username, a new password and FINALLY, about an hour after I started the process, I WAS IN!!! YAY!!! But, Gary's insulin was not on his list of drugs. Fortunately, we have an appointment with the diabetes doctor on Friday, so we can get a new prescription which we will have to mail in and that will take a good two weeks for it to come. I know we can get a bottle from the doc if we need it - but I don't want to have to call, go to the office, etc etc. if the insulin does not come in time. Makes me sooooo mad!!!

My rant is - HOW DO OLDER PEOPLE WHO DON'T SEE OR HEAR WELL NEGOTIATE THIS CONVOLUTED SYSTEM? Everything seems so complex now and it takes ME so long to figure everything out and get someone to talk to or get things right - I just don't know how our elders ever manage to get the health care, medications, or whatever that they need.

Last edited by gja1000; 01-10-2012 at 08:02 PM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Ugh, I know your frustration. I used to be front secretary at a home health insurance and I was the one that the elders called to help them out. I had to deal with insurance plus doctors. Many times there insurance was change without them being aware because they sign something at the hospital without them knowing.

Insurance have the worst customer service but they have people watching every patient to see what they can stab them with.

Glad you where able to take care of that.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

You have a good question. How do elderly people handle this kind of thing? Sorry that you had to deal with all of this. I know that it fustrating to say the least!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Tiramisu

I question how older people, me included, get assistance with anything. It's sad and embarrassing for me. I feel talked down to and can't divorce them!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I remember a few years ago when I handled all of Mike's mom and dad's AND my mom and dads doctor appointments and medicines. When you get to a certain age, it's just impossible to keep it all handled and straight without someone younger to help you. I always had to let the provider speak to my parent so they could give permission to talk to me, which is SO stupid because they could have been anybody!

We use Caremark, Gayle. We've had worse, lol!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
2tiredmom

Insurance is good when it works. I feel for you. I know with us getting older too.
I do not see how the older generation does it either. Not looking forward to getting old.
lol
Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

That would be so frustrating!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I've been through the same thing Gayle. It sucks. I would be making calls for Mom and they would have to speak with Mom first to give permission for me to speak on her behalf. She didn't understand half of what they would tell her and then it was hard for her to speak after the stroke.

I think it will be so hard for me to understand it for myself and I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I think they make it so difficult so that people will give up, and they don't haver to pay!

I've been trying to get reimbursed for my dental work since July. I have mailed, faxed, faxed again, and each time I call them to check they need something else. I now know 3 representatives names and fax numbers, and I faxed 3 pages over to "Mara" today. She was supposed to call me to tell me if she received it. She didn't, but "Karen" checked and told me the fax did come through. I will get that money if I have to drive over to their office and do the work myself!!!

They sent me something that needed to be filled in by the dentist last time. They already have all of this info, but it had to be on this particular form. I filled it in myself, signed the dentist's name, and faxed it over. If an insurance company needed to speak to another person, I would have no problem changing my voice and telling them I was that person. The way they operate is just a disgrace, so I figure, screw them!

I'm going on Medicare in March, AND my prescription plan is changing to another company. Kill me now!!! I brought the prescription plan's letter to my pharmacy to tell me what they are talking about. I have to go back in and find out what they want now.

I really think they prefer seniors dying than paying for their medical needs!!!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

YES JUDY, you hit the nail on the head. They make it so difficult maybe you will just give up. You go girl, I know you won't give up!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

You go, Judy!!! Hang in there and get your money!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote