4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

So funny, Gayle!!!

We used to have an old lady who lived across the street from us and she had a fence around her yard and garden. If our ball went into her yard we had to knock on the door and ask permission to get it. Well.....her strawberry patch was close to the fence and some of the boys reached their arms through the fence and was picking her strawberries and eating them.......she yelled at us that she was going to call the police. She didn't but it was a threat that she often used. We never did know her very well......she was a grumpy old woman!!!

My first bicyle was a full sized bicycle with training wheels that I got for Christmas. Riding it in the house was impossible so it was put in the garage. The next summer my Dad said that if I wasn't going to ride it then he was going to get rid of it. I told him that if he would take the training wheels off of it then I would. I hated the bumping back and forth that it did with the training wheels on it. So I took it out in the front yard because we lived on a gravel road and tried and tried and tried to ride the bike. I can remember falling and falling which wasn't easy with a full sized bike......but I did learn to ride it!!

When I got a few years older......I came home from school one day and there was a nice new bicyle in the front yard. My Mom used to ride bicycles with a friend for exercise so I assumed that it was the friend's bicycle. It ended up that it was for me!! It was the first bicyle that I saw that had the narrower tires. Dad called it an English Racer!! I was so excited!! My Dad was always a softie for me!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Isn't it fun thinking back on these old memories? I'm enjoying reading all of yours. When I was young, so young in fact that my younger brother and I slept on the same army cot, we camped in a 9x9 tent. It was my mom and dad and Brad and I. We always went to this place called Sandy Beach and that is were we learned how to swim. I think we were there just about every weekend for quite a few years. We then got a larger 9x12 tent and then we got a 13 foot camper. We really had more room in the tent...lol. There was always another family that we knew that would go camp with us and that's how we spent our vacations too. Then Mom and Dad joined a campers club and we made so many new friends that have lasted till this day. When Mom passed there were only about 5 members left and most of them were women who had their sons or sons-in-law pull their campers for them. I have a lot of great memories from those years including meeting Cassius Clay (Muhammed Ali).
Old 09-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

OK Janet, you are going to have to tell us about meeting Mohamad Ali!!!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
DianaB

I agree.....do tell!!!

I can remember going camping at the lake. My Mom and Dad were in the tent and my brother and I had a mattress in the back of Dad's company station wagon. In the middle of the night a storm came up and Mom and Dad got in with us. My Mom had just gotten contact lenses and told Dad that they were in the tent......so he ran back out in the rain to get them......then she remembered something else......so Dad ran back and got it too. Then Dad remembered that his wallet was in the tent too but he decided to just leave it. The tent collapsed in the wind and we all spent the night in the car. The next morning there was Dad's money all over the ground and things scattered all over.....plus other people's stuff floating by in the lake. We found out later that there had been a tornado not too far from us. Glen remembers when the tornado hit because it damaged his Aunt's house that was at the lake. It's funny that we both have different memories of the same thing!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #20
Janet

I don't remember too much as I was really young. We always camped at Sandy Beach and it is on Lake Freeman. It's not a big lake where celebrities would come to so it was a shock that one was there. He was known as Cassius Clay then. We were up there for the week on vacation and playing around the boat docks scooping minnows for fishing when a boat pulled up to fuel. The attendant told us to stand back for a few minutes until the boat got tied.

Cassius Clay got out of the boat along with a couple of other people and greeted us kids, there was me, my brother Brad, Jim and Johnny Sanders and their little sister and another kid that I don't remember their names. We all got his autograph, but I didn't know who the heck he was...lol. I mean, come on...I was a girl and I didn't watch boxing. I don't know what ever happened to the autograph or if my brother still has his packed away somewhere. See, it wasn't exciting, but just a part of my growing up.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #21
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

That still really cool, Janet! Even if you didn't know who he was then
Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #22
Janet

I also remember about that beach that just about every year, someone would not be watching their child and they would wander down by the boat dock. The cement would have that green slippery stuff on it and then the child would slide down. We always sat at the picnic table by the dock because our friend and uncle had boats. Dad would jump in and save the child, then we'd have to go find the parents with a crying child.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #23
DianaB

Wow!! Your Dad was a hero!! How cool!!!

How neat that you met M A!!! Awesome!!

My Aunt Marva is 7 years older than me and when I was little I remember sleeping with her and she told me all about going to school. She said that the teacher had play dough and a place that I could sit at at the back of the room and that I could go to school with her the next morning. I was so excited and got up and around the next morning but it ended up that my Mom wouldn't let me go. I still remember watching Marva get on the school bus and crying!!!

I remember that there was a swing in the front yard of where Grandma and Grandpa lived and Marva would swing me in it and run under the swing making me go really high!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
2tiredmom

Great Stories girls. I remember being 6 yrs old and going to western auto to get my first bicycle with training wheels. Got it home rode it that evening. Next morning was Saturday. Dad had to work. So i got the wrench out and took the
training wheels off the bike and started riding with out them. I felt so big then.
LOL.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #25
Janet

Linda, you must have been one handy little six year old...lol. I remember playing cowboys and indians with the neighbors and good friends across the street. I would be the indian princess and make Mike marry me....LOLOL.

This same boy is the first friend in the baby book my Mom kept for me. I guess when I was little I would be sitting on the couch and Mike would come to me and make me cry and then go play. When I quit crying he'd come back and make me cry again. My Mom and his always enjoyed telling that story for some reason. I'm still great friends with his Mom...love her so much!