4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Recipes

Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

refrigerator oatmeal

I've been experimenting with cold refrigerator oatmeal. It's a variation of Swiss Muesli which I love. There are so many ways to make it and I've had to find what tasted good to me.

Here's the basic recipe (one serving)

Put this into a half pint or pint jar with a lid.
1/4 cup old fashioned (not instant or quick) oatmeal
1/4 cup greek yogurt (or any thick, rather than thin yogurt). You can use flavored but I've used plain and vanilla, both nonfat. I prefer vanilla
1/3 cup skim milk (or any milk)
1 teaspoon chia seeds (you do not have to add this - it just makes it a little thicker - have to get chia seeds in a grocery store that sells health foods. There is a TON of protein in chia seeds, so it does make it a little healthier and they say it makes you feel fuller longer).
Add other flavors (see below), put on the lid and refrigerate overnight (will keep a couple of days).

That's the basic recipe

Then you can add nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit or whatever you want. If you google refrigerator oatmeal, you will find several recipes in yummly.com

I have found that I love a spoonful of jam with corresponding fresh fruit, e.g., a spoonful of strawberry jam with some fresh strawberries. You put the jam/fruit in after making the basic recipe above, put on the lid and pop into the fridge. You can put more fresh fruit on when you eat it, if you want. Today I tried a spoonful of whole berry cranberry sauce and dried cranberries. It's in the fridge but I haven't tried it yet. When you eat it, if it's not sweet enough you can add some splenda or honey or sugar, if you want. I also like the basic recipe above with an apple cut up in it right before I eat it.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

That sounds good, Gayle. I've been seeing a lot about refrigerator oatmeal, but I haven't tried it yet. It would be nice to get up in the morning and have something ready to eat. Do you think almond milk would work? Reguar milk doesn't like me
Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I've never heard of this......sounds interesting!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Sounds delicious! I also can't use milk, Betsi. Not yogurt either. Water might work, although it won't be as tasty, but with a lot of fruit and other stuff thrown in, it might work. I would add flaxseed and wheat germ because they are good for you.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Judy, the original Swiss muesli uses water. Google swiss museli recipe. Yes, Betsi you could use almond milk, I would think that would be delicious.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Well Judy, it might not have been the original Swiss muesli recipe that uses water, but I know I saw one that called for water. You might have to surf around to find it.