4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Recipes

Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Low Fat Enchiladas

Surprisingly these are really good. The recipe says there's 250 calories per serving so that's not bad and one enchilada was really filling.

Enchiladas - six servings
2 chicken breasts - boiled or baked and shredded
1 - 16 oz can enchilada sauce
1 - 4 oz can green chile peppers (I used 2 cuz I love green chiles!)
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t cumin
1 t chile powder
1/2 t black pepper
salt to taste
1 1/2 cups reduced fat cheddar cheese - shredded
8 oz fat free cream cheese
6 flour tortillas - the recipe says not to use corn tortillas because they fall apart. Next time though, I will use corn tortillas because I like them better and I don't care if they fall apart

Preheat oven to 350. Shred the cooked chicken and add garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black pepper and salt to taste. Mix together to coat chicken. Add 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 cup shredded cheese. Mix well. Place about 1/3-1/2 cup of chicken mix in each tortilla. The recipe said to fold over, but I rolled them and placed them seam side down in a greased pan. Continue till 6 tortillas are filled. Combine the remaining enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup sour cream and pour over enchiladas. Bake covered for 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over all and bake for 15 more minutes.

The recipe is actually for slow cooker enchiladas, but my slow cooker was occupied so I cooked them in the oven as above. Here are the slow cooker directions.

Lightly spray the bottom and sides of the slow cooker with cooking spray. Lay rolled up enchiladas seam side down in the slow cooker, add a little of the sauce to each layer as you stack them. There should be 2 layers of 3 or 3 layers of 2, depending on the size of your slow cooker. Combine the remaining enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup sour cream, mix and pour over all the enchiladas. Cook on low for 3-4 hours. Remove enchiladas from slow cooker and pour liquid from slow cooker over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I agree Gayle I prefer corn. What I do is layer the tortillas like you will a lasagna and it does the trick (and less work). If you want the presentation and don't mind a little oil you can warm a skillet with oil and dip the tortillas to soften them up. As soon as there soft remove and roll.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I make a stacked enchilada that is NOT low fat and that's exactly the way I do my corn tortillas, dip them in hot oil for a couple of seconds. They are yummy! I drain them between paper towels and then make a beef mix. I stack them 3 or 4 tortillas high with meat mix between each layer and cheese on top. Yum! Now, I'm gonna have to make some. I've also dipped the corn tortillas in hot chicken broth, but that isn't as good as oil!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

OOOOooooooo.......this one looks so good!! I'm going to have to try this one!! Thanks, Gayle!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote