4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Recipes

Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

These are REALLY good. Everyone, including 6 year old Emma, loved them. The recipe only makes a couple of pancakes, so I double, triple, or quadruple the recipe and put the leftover pancakes in the fridge. Pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds and they taste as fresh as when you made them. Plus they are very healthy with lots of vitamins and minerals.

Sweet Potato Pancakes

1/2 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
1/3 cup egg beaters or 2 eggs
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp baking soda and baking powder
1 or 2 tsp sugar or sugar substitute of your choice-don’t skip this or they’ll be bitter
dash salt and even bigger dash of cinnamon
if the batter is too thick add some milk

Mix well, make sure all the sweet potato is mashed. The batter is pretty thick so I spread it out when I scoop them on the hot skillet. Cook as you would normal pancakes. They don’t “bubble” like normal pancakes, so watch that they are cook thoroughly, but not burned.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I've never had sweet potatoes, but this sure sounds good and healthy!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
These are REALLY good. Everyone, including 6 year old Emma, loved them. The recipe only makes a couple of pancakes, so I double, triple, or quadruple the recipe and put the leftover pancakes in the fridge. Pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds and they taste as fresh as when you made them. Plus they are very healthy with lots of vitamins and minerals.

Sweet Potato Pancakes

1/2 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
1/3 cup egg beaters or 2 eggs
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp baking soda and baking powder
1 or 2 tsp sugar or sugar substitute of your choice-don’t skip this or they’ll be bitter
dash salt and even bigger dash of cinnamon
if the batter is too thick add some milk

Mix well, make sure all the sweet potato is mashed. The batter is pretty thick so I spread it out when I scoop them on the hot skillet. Cook as you would normal pancakes. They don’t “bubble” like normal pancakes, so watch that they are cook thoroughly, but not burned.
I am not a fan of sweet potatoes, but mom had a similar recipe that was always one of her faborite meals she use to make for us. About the only difference is she used regular potatoes and puried them in the blender, eggs, flour, salt and i think some milk, then fry in skillet. Unfortunatly she never measured anything and for the life of me and for as many times i helped her fix these i have never been able to get them to turn out as good as hers. She also has a few other recipies that she, nothing written down, just thrown together, i miss moms cooking. Now i am so hungry for her potato pancakes.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh LYNNE! This recipe says you can use regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. I would omit the sugar though.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Oh LYNNE! This recipe says you can use regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. I would omit the sugar though.
I think i would omit the cinnamon also, that would be ok for the sweet potatos but not regular one.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
DIANE W

Oh....... they sound scrummy.

We often have the ones with normal potatoes - we call ours potato cakes, i have also added, caramelised leeks, and some grated cheese too, cook them either, under grill, in fry pan or in oven, add some butter when cooked, it melts all gorgeous an yummy. They are nice for breakfast with bacon and eggs.

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne b View Post
I think i would omit the cinnamon also, that would be ok for the sweet potatos but not regular one.
Oh yeah! I wouldn't put cinnamon in regular potato pancakes either!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIANE W View Post
Oh....... they sound scrummy.

We often have the ones with normal potatoes - we call ours potato cakes, i have also added, caramelised leeks, and some grated cheese too, cook them either, under grill, in fry pan or in oven, add some butter when cooked, it melts all gorgeous an yummy. They are nice for breakfast with bacon and eggs.
Diane, your potato pancakes sound really yummy too! I'm going to make a batch tomorrow to keep in the fridge and I think I'll freeze a couple to see how they do after being in the freezer.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Gotta try them both ways. Sounds Delish
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

My mouth is watering!! They sound so good!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote