4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Weight Loss Support

Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Reboot with Joe

Hi Guys,
Reboot with Joe is a good website dedicated to helping people eat healthy. Joe was a overweight person a few years ago and he has made a video called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, to talk about losing weight and getting healthy. It is a very powerful video of his own journey to weight loss and health.

Joe is a proponent of eating a diet based in fruits (20%) and especially vegetables (80%). He advocates juicing, although he has all sorts of vegetarian recipes. When I was in New Mexico, my cousins are all health nuts and they told me about the website. So, I decided to try it. There are 3 day, 5 day, 10 day and 15 day reboot plans. I did the 15 day reboot, although I did not do it exactly, meaning I didn't follow all the recipes and I ate oatmeal or beans and corn tortillas for breakfast. I also ate Irish soda bread with raisins because there were times when I just had to have something other than vegetables.

I want to tell you that in this 3 weeks, I have lost all cravings for processed and junk food. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Never in my life did I think I could go without diet coke, coffee, hamburgers, candy, etc. I didn't overeat any of those, but I ate way too much of them especially diet coke.

I swear I drank about 3 cups of coffee a day and about 3-5 diet cokes a day. I haven't had either one in 3 weeks and I don't crave them. Over Easter at the kids' house, they had some DOVE chocolate bunnies - OMG! my favorite. I watched them eat them and didn't even want one. NEVER in my life has this happened to me. When I need a snack, I get fresh vegetables or fruits or I make a veggie or fruit smoothie.

i don't have a juicer yet, but I will get one. Actually I do have my mom's old Juiceman 210 but my daughter couldn't find the plunger to push the food down to the juice blades so I've used a wooden spoon, but it doesn't work very well. I'm lucky though that there is a juice bar on the way to school when I can stop and get freshly pressed juices. My absolute favorite is apple, beet, celery, and carrot with a squeeze of fresh lemon. I can make that at home in the Juiceman as good as the juice bar.

I bought a good blender to make smoothies and if you use frozen fruit, it makes it smooth and creamy just like if you added ice cream. You can also add non fat Greek yogurt and they are very good. I like strawberries (they are fresh now here in TX) blueberries, kiwi and half a banana. I also throw in some frozen peaches and sometimes I use frozen cherries. It is so yum! You can sweeten with stevia, a plant based natural sweetener, but I have lost my craving for sweets so the natural fruit tastes good. You can also make fruit and vegetable smoothies and they are very good also.

Oh and another good thing is that I've lost 5 lbs in the 3 weeks, without trying. In the reboot program they tell you to eat as much as you want of the recommended foods and I've done that. I am eating all the time! LOL! I do have to eat both mid morning and mid afternoon, so I have to bring lots of food or juice to work with me - and that's been a challenge, but I've done it and I'm really glad I did.

OK, let's see how I do eating in Vegas this weekend! LOL! There are lots of buffets in Vegas and as long as I can have a salad bar and some fruit, I'll be fine. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be saying something like that. Before this, I ate a salad maybe once every 3 months. I just didn't like them. Same with fruit, it tasted good but didn't satisfy me. Now it does, in fact I look forward to eating fruits and vegetables. My palate has changed and I want to eat healthy foods. Go figure!

I know I sound like a weight loss commercial, but really I just wanted to share with you something that has worked for me in the short term. I'll keep you posted about how it goes in the long term!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

That is wonderful Gayle. I do go a month being vegan and it does make you feel wonderful. I will check it out and see what great recipes he has.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

That sounds great, Gayle! When you do a cleanse/reboot like that, it really does take away your cravings for sweets and carbs. I haven't had any sweets for 2 1/2 months, and I've cut wayyyy back on my carbs. I feel so much better, and have lost 18 pounds. I also started an exercise program for an hour a day Mon-Thurs. It is BootCamp, which is a cross-training program, and I am actually enjoying it! There are exercises I have to modify because of my knees..and just being out of shape in general..but it's still a hard workout. I'm beginning to feel a little strong again, and I love it. Just knowing that I am at least trying to be more healthy has done wonders for my mental/emotional health, too.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hi Betsi, I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well! I need to get more serious about my exercise. I wasn't supposed to exercise hard doing the cleanse/reboot, but now I can start eating more protein so I've got to get back on the exercise wagon!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Sounds like you're doing really great Gayle!!! You too Betsi! I really need to do something about my weight too and I definitely need to exercise. I have started a bit, but would like to quit craving the sweets and carbs.

The weather has gotten better so I've been enjoying walking more and just being outside.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'll have to check out Joe. I've been back seriously on the Atkins diet for the last three weeks. The girls and I have been weighing in on Tuesdays so that's a big incentive. I've been doing pretty good. Like you, after a while the cravings go away. So far I've lost 8 lbs. I am worried about the cruise though!! I hear that there is food all the time......and ice cream!

I have found that cutting out diet pop helps me lose weight. And I've cut out tea and I'm finding that I crave water!!

Good for you and Betsi!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
Janet

Checking to see how everyone is doing with their weightloss or just plain healthy eating.

I see on FB Gayle that you're really into the juicing. I'm glad you're doing so well on it. I know it's not for me...I just don't care for fruits much at all. Veggies I like, but tire of them quickly. What works best for me in the past was just watching what I ate and exercising. Now if I could just get off my big butt and do it. I've gained a few lbs so that puts me at 258 now. Sucks!

So how about the rest of you?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm still doing ok. The ortho doc made me quit Bootcamp because of my knees..they were killing me! I'm getting shots in them right now, and have 2 more to go. Mike and I joined our local gym this week. I never thought I would miss exercising, but I did, lol! I can at least walk on the treadmill and work out my upper body and abs. I just like feeling stronger, and it relieves stress. Oh, and I've lost 35 lbs. Janet, I would starve without fruit! I have had a serious peach obsession this summer!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Janet

35 pounds...WOW!! That's great Betsi, I really need to get busy.....again!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Thank you Janet! I'm still big, and have tons of extra floppy skin, but I feel better, lol!!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Janet

I haven't really tried for quite some time, but I need to. Just seems there is not enough time in the day to get everything in like exercise.