4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Recipes

Old 12-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
blowry

Roasted Chestnuts

Hi Girls! I LOVE roasted chestnuts...and it just seems like such a Christmas thing to do...I usually just cut an X in the top and cook in the oven until the X opens up...I would like to know if any of you cook them any different...do you have something that you put on them (after roasted)? do you dip them in anything...they are kinda dry and just wanted to know if there are any other ways to eat them...
Old 12-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

What exactly are chestnuts? Can you buy them at a normal grocery store?
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
blowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn
What exactly are chestnuts? Can you buy them at a normal grocery store?

You know!!! Chestnuts roasting on an open fire??!! LOL

It's nut about half the size of a small plum..the inside meat is soft...not crunchy..I don't know if you can buy them in Texas...but, you buy them in the grocery store...up here they are in the produce section..This is usually the only time of the year that you can get them...I think
Old 12-08-2006, 04:24 AM   #4
Marilyn

I will look for them next time I'm at our new big grocery store. They are carrying items from all over, perhaps they will have Chestnuts and we can try them. Of course I've heard the song, but always wondered just what they are and how you roast them.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 12-08-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I don't think I've ever tried Chestnuts. I'm not a big nut eater anyway and never felt the urge to try them. If very many respond on their likes and dislikes and different ways of roasting them, I will give it some more thought.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I've never had any and I don't think that our small town grocery store carries them. They would be interesting to try. What do they taste like?

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #7
blowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB
I've never had any and I don't think that our small town grocery store carries them. They would be interesting to try. What do they taste like?

I can't really describe the taste..they are a little on the sweet side but, not sweet...if that makes any sense! LOL...they are not crunchy like a regular nut. I love them...and...they are easy to roast...I just wish I knew if there was some other way to eat them...My Mom makes Chestnut stuffing for Thanksgiving (also a bread stuffing)..I don't eat red meat or pork and she grinds up Jimmy Dean, and the giblets and puts them in the stuffing...The chestnut stuffing is great! of course over the years of making it she adds a little more of this and that to it...she has perfected it!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowry
Hi Girls! I LOVE roasted chestnuts...and it just seems like such a Christmas thing to do...I usually just cut an X in the top and cook in the oven until the X opens up...I would like to know if any of you cook them any different...do you have something that you put on them (after roasted)? do you dip them in anything...they are kinda dry and just wanted to know if there are any other ways to eat them...

Brenda I do to love roasted chestnuts and we make them for Christmas....I do it the same way, x on top and roast them.. MMMMM they are delicious.

Girls if they sell them by you buy them they are great!!

Last edited by Gina; 12-08-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Marilyn

We're eating roasted chestnuts. They did sell them at our new grocery store. My husband and I like them. One of my daughters thinks they are okay, the other does not like them at all. Cut X's in the skin and roasted them in the oven at 425? for 15 minutes. Found the procedure on About.com.

I think they would be better grilled on an open fire to give them a smokey taste, and would have done that, but it's actually cold here now, 46?F outside this evening. It's supposed to get down to 32?F by morning. BRRRRRRRR!!!! and we are grilling a turkey tomorrow.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
Lissa

I was expecting roasted nuts to be a bit drier than those, it tasted a bit like a potato to me, but I didn't quite care for the after-taste.

Marilyn's Disappearing Daughter!!
Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:03 AM   #11
Janet

Quote:
We're eating roasted chestnuts. They did sell them at our new grocery store. My husband and I like them. One of my daughters thinks they are okay, the other does not like them at all. Cut X's in the skin and roasted them in the oven at 425? for 15 minutes. Found the procedure on About.com.

I think they would be better grilled on an open fire to give them a smokey taste, and would have done that, but it's actually cold here now, 46?F outside this evening. It's supposed to get down to 32?F by morning. BRRRRRRRR!!!! and we are grilling a turkey tomorrow.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!!!

Still haven't tried the chestnuts....BUT did fix a PECAN pie!!! My hubby loved it!! Said it was the best he'd ever eaten.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:06 AM   #12
Marilyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Still haven't tried the chestnuts....BUT did fix a PECAN pie!!! My hubby loved it!! Said it was the best he'd ever eaten.
Using the Texas pecans??? I see you are experimenting with Avatar's this morning. My daughters picked my new one out. They love Paula Dean, and liked this pic. She has a dippy blond look in the original. Kinda hard to see so tiny.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #13
Janet

Quote:
Using the Texas pecans??? I see you are experimenting with Avatar's this morning. My daughters picked my new one out. They love Paula Dean, and liked this pic. She has a dippy blond look in the original. Kinda hard to see so tiny.

You bet!! They are or should I say, were, wonderful.

Yes, thought I would try a couple different avatars, but some of the animation doesn't always work. Gonna have to try and figure that out!!..LOL