4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Beauty & Fashion

Old 10-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #16
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB
I think that we dress differently in the country too. Just give me a nice t-shirt and a pair of jeans and I'm good to go!!!!

I have a friend who tries to keep up with the fashions and, to me, she really stands out from everyone else. I keep thinking that when she grows old she's going to look back at pictures of some of the things that she's worn and she's going to have a really good laugh!!!!! I swear that now she's wearing a pair of boots that the toes are a good 4 inches longer than her foot really is! I have a hard time not laughing!!!! If I ever do I'll be in BIG trouble!!!!!!

I know what you mean. I know some of the ladies here probably where them and I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I just can not stand to see the shoes with those sharp pointed toes. I think they look so .....I can't even find a word....besides uncomfortable. Give me some loafers, work boots or walking shoes (tennis shoes whatever they call them now) and I'm a happy camper.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #17
katepoet

And I don't understand the desire for heels - to me it's just a way to damage your ankles created by some man to make women more objectified and less physically strong. But that's just my opinion and we know what that's worth. lol
katepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #18
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Those sharply pointed, long shoes look like witch shoes. I have a friend who wears them and looks good in them. At 5'1", I look ridiculous - and they hurt!

I do wears heels though. I love the way they look. I especially love wedgies because they're more solid to walk on - and rubber, high heel wedgie flip flops for the summer are the best! Keeps the bunions happy. My shoes are all comfy though, or else out they go.

I would have to modify my look for the country life. I have a lot of dresses, especially for summer, which just don't cut it when you're doing work on a farm. Remember "
Green Acres?"

Nothing wrong with jeans, a comfy pair of wedgies and a low cut top. Put a nice flannel shirt on top of that, roll up the sleeves a bit, and you're good to go.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #19
katepoet

I love how we can all flex our style to be casual, professional or sexy - it's so much fun. It's chilly enough today for flannel shirts here in VA - I love it. Such a feeling of fall. Wish I could rake the yard and jump in the leaf pile...
Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #20
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy
Those sharply pointed, long shoes look like witch shoes. I have a friend who wears them and looks good in them. At 5'1", I look ridiculous - and they hurt!

I do wears heels though. I love the way they look. I especially love wedgies because they're more solid to walk on - and rubber, high heel wedgie flip flops for the summer are the best! Keeps the bunions happy. My shoes are all comfy though, or else out they go.

I would have to modify my look for the country life. I have a lot of dresses, especially for summer, which just don't cut it when you're doing work on a farm. Remember "
Green Acres?"

Nothing wrong with jeans, a comfy pair of wedgies and a low cut top. Put a nice flannel shirt on top of that, roll up the sleeves a bit, and you're good to go.
I have those high heel pointed shoes, i wore them to the open air market last saterday - i wont describe in words what they did to my toes, dont wanna sound rude lmao... but they made me look good and the toes will heal LOL

If i lived on a farm, i would probably wear gum boots, and roll in uhm... hay LOL - but i'm not all that fortunate ... on days, like today, when i stay indoors, i wear house-suits, or jumpsuits, and no make-up, but wont open the front door LOL
Old 10-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #21
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I do live in the country but I also dress when I leave the house as if I lived in the city. I guess I always have that phrase in the back of my mind that says "first impressions last a lifetime".

I enjoy the heels, the pointy toes, the layering looks of all the "city" fashions but on a lower keyed level....As Judy said the shoes must be comfy though. I've had bunion surgery on both feet and other problems which no longer allow me to justify the "well they are soooo cute I don't care if my feet hurt" excuse anymore, ha haaa. I wish I could at times but age has taken it's toll on me.

If i have work to do in the pasture or house cleaning I put on the comfy clothes etc.

It makes me feel more confident I guess when I dress classy to leave the home and face the public...But honestly, Id die if people came to my door when I am at home. As then I'm wearing the baggy sweats, hair pulled back and slobbing around, LOL.

I enjoy playing dress up and trying to put clothes together...Little girl mentality I guess but it's fun.

I just wish I was rich to be able to afford all the "stuff" out there to dress so pretty.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #22
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

My mom always printed in my mind "a girl has to look good 24/7" thats stuck with me.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #23
katepoet

We were taught to beware of vanity but that clean and neat counted a lot. I am always surprised when I show up to tutor and my student is disheveled and hasn't even brushed teeth!

If I drink coffee on the way to a session I always chew a piece of strong peppermint gum in the car before I meet a student. I have only shown up once without earrings and that was short notice and I couldn't get my hands and feet working well to do everything I normally do so I had to run so as not to be late. I wear clean, neat clothes in the style I think of as "casual prof" top tucked in, often a vest or jacket, modest jewelry, tidy hair - well, the point is it seems so thoughtless and disrespectful to show up the way they do.

We were also taught that it matters that you make others comfortable for the most part, not to the point of compromising ethics but doing your best not to alienate them. As young adults we were all much more casual about that and I don't believe women should have to dress in dresses or with heels to be professional or dressed up at all. But I do still think clean, neat and appropriate go a long way.

I get a little embarrassed because I have to wear sneakers to be able to walk at this point. I have a black pair for dress occasions but they aren't as supportive as my running shoes so my walk is gimpier in them. But they work well with black dress slacks and a navy blazer.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:35 AM   #24
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

In NYC there are so many places to go to to get really fun, stylish clothes for very little money. I really enjoy doing that. I'll go into the junkiest stores and you can sometimes find the greatest dress or skirt or even shoes.

I also got my eyeliner and lipstick tattooed (permanent make-up), and I have my hair blown out every week. I can be dressed and out in about 12 minutes. A little moisturizer, blush and maybe mascara, jeans, heels and a pretty top in the winter, and I'm good to go.

The dogs take longer to get ready than I do.

Sheryl, how was the bunion surgery? Mine are pretty big.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #25
katepoet

When I get up to J-NY again one day, I want to go on a cool clothes tour of NYC with you as my guide, Judy. I love to do story telling - fairy tales - and dress up with vests and jewelery and more - everything has a story about which fairy gave it to me, of course. I need to find some really cool boots, leggings, skirts - things I can do to make my lower half as unique as the rest of me when I do this. You sound like you know where to go and how to put it together.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #26
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Probably! There are lots of thrift shops here that have some fun stuff. I'd look on e-Bay too if I were you.