4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Weight Loss Support

Old 04-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Lissa

How do you lose weight?

I've been a bit overweight for about 2/3rds of my life and I've been wanting to lose weight for ages.

I did good my first semester at my university. I didn't really lose weight, but I didn't gain the "freshmen 15" (even though I'm not a freshman, I'm a transfer, but it still applies). Instead it waited til the second semester for it to come.

I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been and since I've got a boyfriend around to impress I'm even more dedicated to losing the pounds.

One problem: My boyfriend is a de-motivator, he says he loves me the way I am and actually gets a little frustrated with me if I mention I need to lose weight, I'm 5'6'' and over 180, I don't show weight too terribly bad, but I do show it and I don't want to. I'm sure he'll support me if I get real serious about it, and I am, so once he sees how much I want to get in shape it should be fine.

Second problem: The only time that's convenient to work out is in the morning, but I like to sleep and my bed is so comfortable!

Third problem: I'm living on campus eating processed campus food, which is the equivalent of me eating out every single meal, even the salads are packed with preservatives and calories.

So here's my plan:

Exercise: I've said it many times, but I MEAN IT this time!!!(emphasis is for me ) I am going to get up at 6am and go to the gym!!! It takes me 10-15 minutes to walk to the gym, 15 minutes to get ready, and 15-20 to walk to my 8am class from there, that gives me a little over an hour to workout, even more if I hurry getting there and hurry to class. So to facilitate this, my boyfriend wants to start getting up in the morning and running too, he lives in a nearby town and it wouldn't make sense for him to come down here, but we could get each other up and moving by calling each other and waking ourselves up!! Also I could sleep in my gym clothes so all I would have to do would be put on my shoes and go.

Eating: Alright so it'll be easier next year, but I could try to get me some low-cal stuff from the market to replace a meal I would be getting from the dining halls, maybe some Lean Cuisines and soups (next year I'll make my own food cause I'll have a kitchen).

Sound like it would work? My goal is to lose 50 pounds.

What's some of the stuff yall have tried that showed results?

Marilyn's Disappearing Daughter!!
Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

Sounds like you have a good plan. It is really hard to stick to it when you are so busy. You really don't look overweight.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgivenmom5
Sounds like you have a good plan. It is really hard to stick to it when you are so busy. You really don't look overweight.
I agree! I remember the picture of you with your boyfriend and you looked great! Don't be too hard on yourself.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:42 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Losing weight is so hard. I've lost 22 pounds total now and it was just portion control Whenever I deprived myself of something the diet went by the wayside. Continue to eat what you want, just smaller portions and a healthy snack between meels. It's working for me and I'm not feeling hungry. I do eat the Lean Cuisines for my mid-day meal, salad or turkey sandwich. I've finally gotten over the slump I was in, it's coming off again, only really slow. That's okay, I'll get there, so will you.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
I agree with Angie & my mom (wow imagine that! ). You don't look like you have 50 lbs to spare. But making a plan is always the first step to getting anything done & it sounds like you have a great one. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Lissa, You look good you don't look like you are that much overweight. But I feel for you. I have lost about 7 pds. in a mt. or two. My plan was excerising at the gym at least 4 xs a week , eating healthy incorparating lots of veggies. Now I am at a lull, because I don't go to the gym its been two weeks, I have been working , and I am eating not healthy.. I will start on Monday again. Once you fall off the wagon so to speak its hard getting back on . lol. Your plan sounds good and it is going to be tough, with a little discpline and dedication you will do it.... Good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by Gina; 04-07-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
gomer4

Lissa........I lost 75 pounds counting calories........ I did it in less than a year. It became sort of a game, trying to see what I could eat for the calories I had left. For a long time, I kept it to 1500 calories a day. I used the web site www.fitday.com to keep track of them.
I did Curves for quite a while, but now am using a gym, but I did not notice any progress until I started watching the calories.
Good luck, I know this is a very difficult battle.

Lori