4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 12-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Not my best side...

I'm sure a few of you remember several months ago when I was in the running for a newspaper editor job I really wanted. I felt pretty sure I had it till they got an applicant who had the degree I lack.

Well I happen to know the person who got it... she's the sister of Doug, the young man who's been living with us. I wasn't happy to have lost out on it, but had to agree she was better qualified, so just let it go. This past weekend she got a DUI so will be losing her license for quite some time. How she's going to be able to do the job now, I have no clue... She's also met a man several hours away who she's considering moving to be with, so is thinking about quitting already.

It's awful of me, but my first thought was... if they'd have hired me rather than some young kid fresh out of school, they wouldn't be dealing with this again! I know it took them months to hire her and they held the job while she finished school besides. How easy it is to let myself feel a bit of twisted pleasure knowing they're likely to be right back to square one again soon.

What a bitter old woman I have become.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Marilyn

Oh, Tink, you are not bitter, just wiser. Perhaps now they will see the error of their ways and you can finally have the job of your dreams. You're getting you home back and perhaps your dream job, looks like things are beginning to go your way. Wish you the best!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I don't think it's bitter Tink. Not at all. It's being older/wiser and now you can say.."I told you so." Are you going to apply again so they will still have all the information or do you even want to go back to work now. If I didn't have to have a little something coming in, I wouldn't work at all. I just don't have the ambition anymore.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Tink

Janet, I seriously don't know if I'd take it or not now. In the state I'm currently in, probably not. If I can get my mood and health back, it could be fun. I know all to well what you mean by
Quote:
I just don't have the ambition anymore.
Right now I just want some peace and quiet and to get my house in order again.
All of my life has been spent with kids in the house. I have siblings 6 and 10 yrs younger than myself. My oldest just turned 34 this month. I went from my parents home to having my own baby at 19. I've never had my own space without kids to consider, and have had a job of one sort or another since I started working at age 12 to earn money for my first horse. Hopefully this new stage in life will bring with it a renewed interest in thigs again and I will want to do more than stay home and relax... but if not, I'm not going to push myself. I feel like that's all I've ever done and enough is enough already.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

It sounds like you're really happy with where you are now, Tink. Your health has improved since you've been home and you've completed projects that you wanted to get done. Just think that if you would have gotten that job you wouldn't be where you are now. Also, things are about to get even less stressful with the kids moving out. Enjoy your time at home!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

It sounds like you've paid your dues Tink. You deserve that peace now. Make sure you remind yourself that you deserve it too.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermom
It sounds like you've paid your dues Tink. You deserve that peace now. Make sure you remind yourself that you deserve it too.
I agree completely! Well said!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Go with your instincts Tink! It sounds like you need a break.

I don't think you're being bitter, by the way. They WERE foolish, and they now know better.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
Tink

Thanks ladies.
I am a bit flabberghasted that that young lady would be so willing to give up a job like that. She started it all enthusiastic and ready and already the grass looks greener elsewhere. Hard to fathom.

Oh well... I'm trying to just keep my mouth shut and nose out of it. It's only on here that I've even discussed it with anyone. If she were one of MY kids I'd smack her upside the head to see if maybe it would jolt some sense into her.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Now you're talking! No words - a good smack upside the head works wonders.

When I was teaching, not being allowed to hit the kids, I'd get the kid sitting next to him smack his head for me.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #11
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy
Now you're talking! No words - a good smack upside the head works wonders.

When I was teaching, not being allowed to hit the kids, I'd get the kid sitting next to him smack his head for me.
Hey I wonder if I could get away with that....LOLOL There are just so many and so little time..and it's against the rules for me too.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #12
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Hey I wonder if I could get away with that....LOLOL There are just so many and so little time...........
Janet, you are too, too funny!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Tink like Marilyn said you are wiser.. If you don't need to work stay home, you have been acomplishing a lot and are so much happier. Once your kids are out you will have so much time to do things for you.. Enjoy it!

BTW it's there loss.

Last edited by Gina; 12-22-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote