4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Recession, what recession???

I don't get why we are supposed to be in a recession. Usually when housing is in a slump, my industry is booming. Well we are really booming now. I have never in all my experience seen a time like this. We have so many huge projects we are working on. It's insane!!! Power plants and expansions. I mentioned it in another thread. Everywhere I go, there is more activity than I have ever seen. Factories are running at maximum capacity trying to keep up. We are booking more orders than we ever dreamed we'd see at our branch. I don't know where they are going to get all the skilled labor to build all the stuff they are planning in this area. It's a nice time to be in this business. There is no way that I could possibly consider making a career change at this time.

I'm working with engineers and people from all over the world. It's a strong oriental accent on one call, strong Indian on another, latin Amerian on another. And so many specifications to be read. I'm so afraid I'll miss something and we will ship material that does not meet spec or will need some documentation that has been overlooked.

Wow, what a time to be alive. At least it's not boring!!!!! Calgon, take me away!!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
Ponyup

Marilyn, what do you do for a living? I'm in wire supposedly the wire business is slow, but I've been crazy busy. Where are these power plants getting built? My husband is an electrical engineer looking for a new job & texas wouldn't be a bad place to move too.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
It is kind of slow here, but we are a very small town. Now in Indianapolis, there has been some news on the TV that there were quite a few factories and big stores being built, but about half of them have now put their construction on hold. I know one area they said is pretty upset, because they already started building housing near where these businesses were to be built. Not sure what is going on.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I think that the government is holding things up so it doesn't appear that we're in a recession. I keep hearing that we are just about like the recession of the 80's except for the high interest rate. Remember that this in an election year so nobody wants to look like a bad guy.

Marilyn, I'm glad that your business is doing so well and you're staying very busy! That's not something that you hear too often any more. You know that we're always ready for you to quit so you can be on here all day with us!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
CoyoteQueen

glad your business is going well. the question tho is, can you afford the gas to drive to your office?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Marilyn

For the newbies, I'm in industrial sales, specifically valves. My background is mechanical engineering. I worked for a petrochemical plant for 15 years in process engineering, projects and purchasing. I've been in outside sales for 14 years and cover most of South Texas. Petrochem plants are putting in new units or have major projects to expand the ones they have. We have several gas fired power plants that are being rebuilt to greatly improve their efficiency. A large coal plant is planning to double it's size. New nuclear reactors are on the drawing boards for both Bay City, TX and Victoria, TX. An ethanol plant has just received their air and water permits. One new coal/petroleum coke fired power plant is being built and one is in the permitting phase.

It is such a crazy time to be working in this field. I've been working this area long enough to be poised to take advantage of the opportunities. Being a woman helps because you stand out, and people remember you. I work for a great company with lots to offer our customers with regard to service, quality and price, and I have a reputation of being honest with regard to what we can do and when we can have it to you.

As far as gasoline to get to work, my company provides a company truck with all expenses paid, so that's not an issue. When I get close to 100,000 miles, I get a new truck.

I've worked a long time to get where I am. I've sacrificed some personal time, but my children are now adults and insist they were not short changed. We've been able to share real quality time and traveled, and have wonderful relationships.

Life is very good and , Lord willing, will continue to be so.

I've discussed retiring in the recent past, but that was before this business boom kicked in. My compensation is partially commission based, and I really have nothing to complain about right now. Making hay while the sun is shining!!!!

Well, that was kinda long, but someone ask, and I'm seldom at a loss for words. Oh, and I do have an office. I serve as sales manager for the area and have an office and warehouse with inside sales and warehouse personnel. My office is about 30 miles from my home, but my truck serves as a mobile office as well. I have On-Star, and two cell phones to stay connected. One is an iPhone, so I can access 4WT anytme I want.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32

Last edited by Marilyn; 02-28-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Tink

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Marilyn, I'm glad you're able to reap the rewards you've worked long and hard to build! You have every right to be proud of what you've accomplished. As long as you enjoy what you're doing and are well compensated for it, it's ALL good.!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #8
Marilyn

Thank you, Tink!!! I'm so hoping you get that job you interviewed for. Sounds like it would be good for you and is something you are well qualified for due to how hard you've worked in the past.

Hope it all works out and you enjoy the change!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 AM   #9
CoyoteQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn
For the newbies, I'm in industrial sales, specifically valves. My background is mechanical engineering. I worked for a petrochemical plant for 15 years in process engineering, projects and purchasing. I've been in outside sales for 14 years and cover most of South Texas. Petrochem plants are putting in new units or have major projects to expand the ones they have. We have several gas fired power plants that are being rebuilt to greatly improve their efficiency. A large coal plant is planning to double it's size. New nuclear reactors are on the drawing boards for both Bay City, TX and Victoria, TX. An ethanol plant has just received their air and water permits. One new coal/petroleum coke fired power plant is being built and one is in the permitting phase.

It is such a crazy time to be working in this field. I've been working this area long enough to be poised to take advantage of the opportunities. Being a woman helps because you stand out, and people remember you. I work for a great company with lots to offer our customers with regard to service, quality and price, and I have a reputation of being honest with regard to what we can do and when we can have it to you.

As far as gasoline to get to work, my company provides a company truck with all expenses paid, so that's not an issue. When I get close to 100,000 miles, I get a new truck.

I've worked a long time to get where I am. I've sacrificed some personal time, but my children are now adults and insist they were not short changed. We've been able to share real quality time and traveled, and have wonderful relationships.

Life is very good and , Lord willing, will continue to be so.

I've discussed retiring in the recent past, but that was before this business boom kicked in. My compensation is partially commission based, and I really have nothing to complain about right now. Making hay while the sun is shining!!!!

Well, that was kinda long, but someone ask, and I'm seldom at a loss for words. Oh, and I do have an office. I serve as sales manager for the area and have an office and warehouse with inside sales and warehouse personnel. My office is about 30 miles from my home, but my truck serves as a mobile office as well. I have On-Star, and two cell phones to stay connected. One is an iPhone, so I can access 4WT anytme I want.

ok, I have to ask a dumb question!!! LOL! it wont be my first. But your business, is it somehow a spinoff of the general oil and gasoline type businesses? I notice you mentioned petrochem and ethanol and that sounds like gasoline products to me! In that case I can see why you wouldnt feel any effects of the current economic crisis the rest of us are dealing with.

However, I may be misunderstanding the field you are in. Its awesome for once to hear someone found a plus in being female on the job!