4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Polls

View Poll Results: Should English Be Declared Official Language
I Think So 13 86.67%
I Don't Think So 2 13.33%
I Have Mo Opinion on this 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #16
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Angie, it's not that I don't care. I've worked in a bank where we had several Mexican immigrants as customers and we did help as much as we could. I've also worked on an ambulance service and know how essential it is to be able to understand what a patient is trying to tell you. My Spanish is very limited, and most of my co-workers didn't know any. Can you imagine how this limited our ability to even fill out the most basic of forms in the bank? Being a small branch, we had only 3 people in house most of the time. There's no way they were going to hire a full time translator to help us.

Ambulance attendants here are on call from their homes as it is. They receive $2 an hr while on call and a set amount per call they respond to. They're volunteers, so get very little compensation. They are however held to the same standards as the professionals in bigger cities, which means if they screw up they'll be sued like anyone else. SO these people don't do the job for the money... they do it to be of service to the community. Many have quit because the risk of them being sued is so high that they can't justify putting their families in that position. If one non-english speaking patient can't get across to the EMT that they're diabetic, or are having an allergic reaction, etc... someone could die and the small struggling municipal service and the individual EMT could be financially devastated. What happens when we don't have ANY service for any of us as a result?

How is that fair? It's really not so cut and dry as you might think. We have welcomed them into our community, but we simply don't have the resources to provide interpreters on all levels for their safety or ours.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #17
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
And, who gave you the right to judge me? Do you know me? Why are you lumping all Christians into your comments? You don't know me! Why can't I have my opinion without your judgments? I have not judged you for your opinions!

I am a law abiding citizen of the United States of America. I work for an honest living and pay my taxes some of which happen to go towards helping the less fortunate. You have no right to judge me!
Wow, did you even read anything I said?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #18
Tiramisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles View Post
Wow, did you even read anything I said?
I read everything you wrote a couple of times. Roll your eyes all you want! Obviously, you're content to evade my questions.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #19
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Angie, it's not that I don't care. I've worked in a bank where we had several Mexican immigrants as customers and we did help as much as we could. I've also worked on an ambulance service and know how essential it is to be able to understand what a patient is trying to tell you. My Spanish is very limited, and most of my co-workers didn't know any. Can you imagine how this limited our ability to even fill out the most basic of forms in the bank? Being a small branch, we had only 3 people in house most of the time. There's no way they were going to hire a full time translator to help us.

Ambulance attendants here are on call from their homes as it is. They receive $2 an hr while on call and a set amount per call they respond to. They're volunteers, so get very little compensation. They are however held to the same standards as the professionals in bigger cities, which means if they screw up they'll be sued like anyone else. SO these people don't do the job for the money... they do it to be of service to the community. Many have quit because the risk of them being sued is so high that they can't justify putting their families in that position. If one non-english speaking patient can't get across to the EMT that they're diabetic, or are having an allergic reaction, etc... someone could die and the small struggling municipal service and the individual EMT could be financially devastated. What happens when we don't have ANY service for any of us as a result?

How is that fair? It's really not so cut and dry as you might think. We have welcomed them into our community, but we simply don't have the resources to provide interpreters on all levels for their safety or ours.
Tink, I understand where you are coming from, but Spanish speakers can usually get by. It's difficult, but they manage. My husband and other Americans who speak Spanish help out when they can and often Hispanics have a family member who can speak enough to help them with the necessities. I'm also not saying that it should be required for every business to have a translator. That would be impossible. I just hate the attitude and stereotyping that often comes along with this debate. It really breaks my heart.

I understand the position you would be in as an EMT worker, but it's crazy to just expect immigrants to suddenly and immediately be able to speak English. It takes time and there are always going to be those who, for some reason or other, you can't communicate with--like people in shock. I think that just comes with that type of work. My friend was actually able to help out in a situation in which EMT workers couldn't communicate with a group of Spanish speakers.

I'm sharing her story, because I think you might be touched, even though it's a bit off topic. I'll post it after this so it isn't confusing.

As I said in my first post on this thread, what I disagree with is not allowing native Spanish speakers to take Driver's license and standardized learning tests in the language they are most comfortable with which is what "making English the official language" really means. I think it's discriminatory. The words "Stop" "Yield" "Speed Limit" and so on can be in English, because those are essential when driving, but long complicated sentences that the test takers don't understand really aren't fair at all.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #20
AngieDoogles

Here is the story I promised:

I was on my way back home from a mission trip to New York. God had allowed me to use my gift with spanish and to meet a spanish speaking family that I am still in contact with. I thought God was finished with me. I realize that was an ignorant thought.

It was still daylight and we were travelling in a van and the church bus. Thank God I was on the van, much more comfortable. The church bus blew a tire, I believe it was an inner tire. We were stuck somewhere inbetween NY and TN... yeah I really don't know. This isn't the major part of the story just some important background.

So we ended up stuck at a gas station slash Subway for 30 mins then an hour then two and so on until I was completely fed up with the entire group I was with, angry with my best friend, and hungry because I hate subway. I felt rather guilty for being in such a bad mood on a mission trip so I went against everything I was feeling and prayed that God would use the time we were stranded to His glory, give me patience and a willing heart to serve Him, and keep us at the gas station as long as he wanted us to be there. Yeah, so I had no idea it would turn out to be FOUR hours.

After this small delay we loaded onto the bus/van and headed for home, four hours past schedule. I called my mother and fell asleep hoping to be subconsciously unconcerned for the remainder of the trip.

"Oh my gosh! What was that!?"
"Should we call 911!?"

Yeah that's what I woke up to at 1130 PM just outside of Bristol, VA.

I saw a Semi Truck pull over after hitting a bump in the road and sleepy eyed... assumed it was all ok. We swerved and avoided the bump, pulled over and called 911. Chad C. and Daniel S. got out and of course all of us teenagers followed them like lemmings. They began yelling at us to get back inside the van. Then, a swerving semi backed up their opinion that it wasn't safe. We watched from the back window as Chad and Daniel waved their arms standing in the middle of the highway to keep vehicles from running over the previously mentioned bump in the road- a man who had been thrown from a white SUV and already run over by a semi (which as it turns out sped off as soon as we pulled over to avoid getting in trouble with the law). This was the extent of our knowledge as we circled together in the Van to pray. I remember looking up after "Amen" and seeing two things- an EMS truck flashing by, and Daniel knocking on the window.

"Carla, we need you out here."
(What the heck? Why?) "O...K..."
"They all speak Spanish."

"How bad is it?"
"I'm not gonna lie to you, it's pretty bad. Go get back in the van now if you can't do it."

I knew this was God answering my prayer back at the Gas station in a way I never could have imagined, so as I put my next foot forward I made one other prayer.

"God, I just noticed there's a lot of glass on the ground and I left my shoes in the van... please don't let my feet get hurt."

Following Daniel, I got out to the accident area at the exact same time as the EMS and Police. I talked to a man who said his name was Jose. He had a slash down his arm that was bleeding and he was holding a bandage over it. He was also really shaken up and seemed to be somewhat fading in and out of reality. I didn't really know what to do. I looked at the man in the road.

"?Como se llama el?" (What's his name?)
"Jose."
"?Como? ?es su nombre tambien?" (What? That's his name too?)
"Si. Jose Reyes." (Yeah, Jose Reyes)

Another man walked up to get medical attention from the EMS truck. Jose told me his name was Jose also. No joke. He was perfectly okay aside from being disoriented a little. They checked him out and I talked to him. He had been asleep in the backseat of the SUV. He didn't remember what happened. He just woke up to the car flipping around itself and into the grass on the shoulder of the highway. He was lucky to have been asleep. This cause his body to be limp, going with the flow so to speak, and not be injured from the impact of the crash.

I kept looking over my shoulder at the other Jose- "Reyes". He was now surrounded by EMS workers. They hollered at me to come over to him.

I knelt down on the blood soaked pavement and had to choke back all the natural human urge within me to cry and run away. Here was a man who had been thrown from the window of a car as it was flipping in mid air, had landed hard in the middle of the street and run over by at least one semi truck if not other vehicles. His body was in one lump. His legs were about six inches away from where they should have been attached to his body. The sound of the female EMS worker to my right broke my shock.

"You speak spanish?"
"Yes."
"Tell him to quit trying to stand up. He doesn't know."

I told him he couldn't get up. I told him he was hurt, that we were trying to help him. I told him anything I could to make him feel better. I kept talking, hoping I could make myself feel better. The EMS worker had to put some sort of IV in him and said "grab those gloves and put them on." She traded my hands for hers and in a moment without realizing it I was holding Jose's head in my hands. I kept praying for him without even knowing I had begun. I saw a light in the sky.

"?Puede Ud. ver esa luz? Es un helicoptero. Viene para llevarle al hospital. Esta bien. Esta bien."

(Can you see that light? It's a helicopter. Its coming to take you to the hospital. It's ok. It's ok)

I could feel the swirl of debris around my legs arms and face. I was worried it might scratch him. I think they made me leave after that and got him into the helicopter. I returned to the church bus and collapsed on the ground at the tailgate. Not having allowed myself to feel any emotion at all I was drained. Just as I started to let my feelings creep into my numb body an officer showed up.

"You the one who speaks Spanish?"
"Yes."
"You aren't done yet. Follow me."

I followed him, hopped into the back of the truck and interpreted between him and the other two gentlemen to get a statement of what had happened down on paper.

Afterwards, I got back into the van, surrounded by everyone and sat in silence while we continued home. We stopped at a gas station and overheard the news of our incident on a police scanner. At this point I realized I had my shoes on. I got back into the van and checked my feet. Not a scratch.

We got back home and everyone who had been on the bus instead of the van greeted me and hugged me. They had waited for us to come home.

Mom was there. When she hugged me, I finally felt like it was ok to feel again.

Now the point is: we wouldn't have been there if we hadn't been delayed four hours. we would have already been home and I would hear about it on the news like any other traffic accident. God wanted me to be there at that specific moment to use me. He changed my heart and made me patient and willing to serve Him. This was not just a coincidence.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #21
katcarasella
KAT'S KRAZY KORNER
Donating Member

Send a message via Yahoo to katcarasella
I created this post with this in mind:

Our language has evolved from the King’s English of the pilgrims into what we speak today. Some British people resent that we even call our language English. There are so many words that different groups of our immigrants have added that our American English is not much like the original and very different than British English now. Add to that the different regional accents and words and you can see how our language is changing all the time.

If foreign words were not allowed here years ago, we wouldn’t have a large portion of our language. Just imagine our language without boulevards, bouquets, quays, queues and especially foods like spaghetti, tamales, burritos, quiche, feta, curry, rissoto or chow mein.

This country is an immigrant nation and the progression of English has stayed the same since it’s beginning. First generation immigrants are only about 4% English dominant, the second generation is almost 100% fluent in English while speaking their parents’ language at home. By the third generation, all are fluent in English and only about 22% are bilingual anymore. Many of this generation wish their parents had taught them their language, since, as we all know, knowledge of another language helps in many parts of our lives.

I did not intend to offend anyone.

Kat
katcarasella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #22
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
You are right about America being made up of different cultures. That's fine and wonderful...but Angie, you posted in a manner to shove your opinion at others and that wasnt' right. Just because others don't agree with you. You pretty much asked for a confrontation and you got one.

I'm not going to get into it, because it's obvious you won't understand ours anymore than we understand yours.

This is probably one subject that shouldn't be discussed if it's going to cause hurt feelings....you're not the only one disappointed.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #23
Emmsmom

I agree that English should be the official language. The people of Mexico are not the only ones suffering. There are children right here in our own back yard that need the help more. I will always take care of what is in my own backyard first. I think that Americans would be much better off if WE came first.

As far as learning the language...I think if you are going to come over here to live and work then learn the language. We should NOT be expected to bend over backwards to accommodate them. My husband went to Mexico a few years ago on business and not so much as ONE person who lived over there offered to help him out with the language. He had to wing it and get by on his own. He ended up staying in the hotel except to leave to go to work. Thank goodness he had a driver. The hotel had a restaurant too so he never had to leave to go out and eat either.

This is America and yes it is made up of different cultures. However, those different cultures need to learn the English language. It is only fair and right. I am sure that any other country would feel the very same way that we do.

Angie, I am sorry that you feel the way you do but I honestly think you went a bit to far. I have watched you all from a distance joke around with each other as if you were sisters. To now sit here and read your post I must say is a bit shocking. I seriously think you owe the girls an apology. You can't expect everyone to always agree on one opinion. It just doesn't work like that. You can however handle it in a more mature way.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #24
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Angie, I read the story and think how different it would be had that Spanish speaking person NOT been there. Sadly, that's how it is here. And we don't only have Mexicans... we have a large population of Hmong as well. Are we all supposed to learn their language as well? Isn't it discriminatory for us to cater to the one group and not the other?

Ashley furniture is our largest local employer. They just got an award from the federal government for having hired so many Hmong and Mexican workers. No one is complaining... the company continues to grow and I know many locals who also work there. The glitch is, now if you want to get a job in the offices or any type of support services, you must be bilingual. They don't care if you speak Spanish or the Hmong language, but you must know one of them. So it DOES affect others.... and I haven't heard of any incidents of tension between the life long residents and those who have recently moved here... They find housing and jobs, churches and schools are open to them. So quite seriously I don't see where they're being discriminated against. We expect the same from them that was expected from our own ancestors when they immigrated to the USA. My great grandparents all came here just over 100 yrs ago speaking only Norwegian. They had to learn English to get by. I highly doubt they left Norway just on a fluke... they came like everyone else, looking for a better life for themselves and their children; so truly there is nothing unique about that.

Please don't assume that because I don't agree that I'm cold and heartless. I've just lived with the reality of this both in the present time and within my own family as I grew up. My perspective on it is different from yours, but it's because my experience has been different too. I really don't think that makes me any more right or wrong than you.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #25
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I am going to venture off the Spanish culture here and tell you a story Angie about my SIL girlfriend. Let me tell you a quick synopsis about her. She is about 61yrs. old born and raised in the US. She had married and has three grown daughters, she had the misfortune of marrying a man who drank, she divorced him after many years of marriage and he passed away a few years ago.

This woman has worked medial jobs but she always works, she could have applied to welfare and have gotten food stamps. She was always to proud, till this day she works at a nursery school and makes minimal pay.

One day my SIL told her to call section 8 and see if she qualifies for assistance to help with her rent. So my SIS says I will call for you,why shouldn't you try. Well she got this foriegner who barely spoke english and she explained her friends situation. Well he says to my sil with his broken english OHHHHHHHH NOOOOOO she is not entitled to any help and went on and on. Well my SIL is an outspoken person and said do you know why, its because of foreigners like you who abuse the system and Americans who are born here are shut out.

This group of people are not considered foreigners but refugees Judy can tell you all about them for they are a heavy population in Bklyn.

My point here is that this country should help their own when needed. Other groups come here expect hand outs. If you do it for them what about the people born and raised here? Whose families have worked and payed taxes all along.

Sorry I ventured off the topic but these like this made me mad..

Last edited by Gina; 04-22-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #26
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie
I'm disappointed with America, disappointed with Christians who would rather judge than accept, and disappointed with this forum.

Go ahead. Tell me I'm wrong. Maybe I'll stop caring too.
The question that started this thread was if english should be our official language. I didn't read that we don't feel compassion for the underprivileged. I feel very sorry for those who struggle in making a living expecially those in other countries. However, I do feel that it's a small price to pay to be asked to be able to speak the language of the country that they're adopting. If we start having tests in the spanish language, where does it stop? The Russians, the Italians, the Africans, and so forth, are going to want equal treatment. If we start adding the spanish language to our road signs, again where does it stop? There's always going to be a disgruntled group demanding to be added to the pot. Plus there's a price to pay. Changing road signs costs money, having interpreters available costs money, and so on and so on. That cost will be, of course, added to our taxes. If I were to move to another country would I expect them to kindly add English to their road signs or have an interpreter in every store that I shopped in? No, I would expect that I would have to learn the language. It would take effort on my part, but that's the cost of I would expect to pay. I expect no less of those who have adopted my country. {{{{{Angie}}}}}

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote