4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

Anemia

Had blood work done and I am anemic, but had to have more blood work done to find out what kind. Hopefully it will be the kind that I can take B12 shots. The tests were done last week and I am still waiting. I have no energy and sleep 10 to 12 hours a day. Anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by donna1990; 06-16-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
donna1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I don't have anything like this myself, but my Mom is very anemic, but it's because they can't figure out why she is losing blood. She's either losing it or not making it. She also has kidney failure and is 85 years young.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
teri88

I actually have the opposite problem...my blood is very thick and sticky. It causes a LOT of complications! Do you eat red meat or iron rich green leafy veggies? Hopefully they will figure out what is going on. One thing about B12 shots....I was in the Pharmaceutical industry before I became disabled. One of my clients Shinogie Pharmaceuticals came out with a nasal spray B12. Ask about it when you see the Dr.

Of course I'm in shape. Isn't round a shape?
teri88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I remember being anemic as a child, my mom made me eat liver, yuck... took B 12 shots, but I vagely remember them... I out grew it.. Good luck I hope you feel better....
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #5
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Never had this problem. Sure hope they can find the cause and a treatment that will work for you!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #6
HALEY

My sister and i are both amemic, we only have to take a multivitimin, and eat good, didn't really have a problem with it until i got pregnant, they watched me close then. The only problem i do have is that i'm always cold.. My fingers and toes.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
Tiramisu

I've always been anemic. I lose blood because of rheumatoid arthritis. Iron tablets help and when I feel it's really low, hubby grills me a big juicy steak!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I remember being anemic as a child, my mom made me eat liver, yuck... took B 12 shots, but I vagely remember them... I out grew it.. Good luck I hope you feel better....
i also had it as a kid, but my mother made me eat liver. Yuck!!!

Haley, you do not eat right. You only eat one meal a day.

Donna - I hope you get an easy treatment program, and that you don't have to eat liver. Feel better soon.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
i also had it as a kid, but my mother made me eat liver. Yuck!!!

Haley, you do not eat right. You only eat one meal a day.

Donna - I hope you get an easy treatment program, and that you don't have to eat liver. Feel better soon.
Yes, Mommy Judy , i'll try and eat better. I do eat alot of veggies, and now summer is here i'll be getting then from my dad's garden, Micah and i had watermelon after our walk yesterday. Yummy!!!
But as for being anemic my sister is worse than me - she will actually get lightheaded and get the shakes when she don't eat. But my sister also has a heart murmer too, i don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. She had so many test done, the doctors say there is nothing wrong with her. Just that she needs to eat her three meals a day, but my sister will skip meals so she can sneak her chocolate in...
Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
Ponyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I don't have anything like this myself, but my Mom is very anemic, but it's because they can't figure out why she is losing blood. She's either losing it or not making it. She also has kidney failure and is 85 years young.
My grandpa is dealing with the very same things and they have no idea why. He's 90. They actually just took him in for more blood work because he's been acting very un like himself lately. And supposedly his blood work was all out of whack. Hopefully they can figure out what's going on for us both.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

anemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri88 View Post
I actually have the opposite problem...my blood is very thick and sticky. It causes a LOT of complications! Do you eat red meat or iron rich green leafy veggies? Hopefully they will figure out what is going on. One thing about B12 shots....I was in the Pharmaceutical industry before I became disabled. One of my clients Shinogie Pharmaceuticals came out with a nasal spray B12. Ask about it when you see the Dr.
Thank you, I will do that, much better than a shot in the behing.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I sure hope they figure out what is wrong with your grandpa. They've run every test under the sun on my mother and still no idea why every couple months she has to have blood added. They thought at one time it was bleeding in her colon, but they cauterized a bunch of small areas and stapled a hole and we thought that was what the problem was. It wasn't..she has had blood added since then too.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

anemia

Thanks Judy. I love fried liver and onions in gravy but 60 minutes said liver is not good for you.
I do eat a lot of greens a red meats.
Wish the Doctor would call.
Thanks to all of you.
Donna
Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #14
Ponyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I sure hope they figure out what is wrong with your grandpa. They've run every test under the sun on my mother and still no idea why every couple months she has to have blood added. They thought at one time it was bleeding in her colon, but they cauterized a bunch of small areas and stapled a hole and we thought that was what the problem was. It wasn't..she has had blood added since then too.
This is so weird....it's almost exactly the same as my g-pa. He had a bought of diverticulitous(sp?) last 4th of july & since then they've had to give him blood periodically & they don't know why. I'll let you know if they find anything since it might help your mom as well.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Try adding spinach to some of your meals. It's got iron in it. My daughter-in-law adds just a little bit to her casseroles and skillet meals. She also has it in all of her green salads. Personally, I love spinach and we have it pretty regularily so I've never had a problem with being anemic. I hope the doctor gives you something that will help. It's not fun to always be tired.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote