4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Entertainment & Shopping

Old 08-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Am I crazy?!

In the past 24 hours, I bought a new camera with an awesome lens, a GPS navigation system, and a bluetooth headset. That's a lot of money!

In my defense, Brendon and I have been planning to purchase these things all summer and specifically budgeted for them, but it still feels weird to actually have made the purchases.

We bought the camera so that Mom could have my old one and learn to use the manual settings. We found it on sale at Ritzcamera.com with no tax or shipping and a $50 coupon for accessories which we will be using to buy memory cards. The no tax part really saved us a ton of money!

The GPS I will need when I start with the Department of Children Services in January. I will be driving to lots and lots of unfamiliar places on a regular basis and I am terrified of getting lost so I really feel this was money well spent. I got the Garmin Nuvi 350 which I believe is the same one that Judy and Tink have. We originally bought the Nuvi 260 and really loved it, but then I found a better price on the higher end model so we took it back for a refund and bought the Nuvi 350 for $50 less. It has MP3 capability and a longer battery life and the user interface appears to work very similarly so I'm sure I'll just love it. After using one for a day, I can't imagine ever not having it again! I'm pathetic, lol.

The bluetooth headset we found on eBay for only $20 and hubby has been wanting one ever since one of the puppies thought his old one was a toy and chewed the earpiece off... He will be so happy when it gets here!

I'm feeling a little guilty for spending so much money. I know these are purchases we'll get a lot of use out of and that we found the best possible brands and prices because we really did our research, but I can't get rid of that guilty feeling. I guess that comes from being so frugal and money conscious... Why do I have to stress over these things so much?!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Taurus Babe

well sounds like you've been saving so you could buy these things so let it go! the GPS system is the best! I couldn't live w/o mine! They are such a big time saver, and stress reliever!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 AM   #3
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Angie, If you had the money budgeted and the purchases will not put you in a financial bind, and you still have an emergency fund in place, don't be too hard on yourself. You get a lot of enjoyment from your camera and the GPS sounds like a very important item for your safety, and the Bluetooth did not cost much. It will be okay!!! You deserve a few rewards, and sounds like you were responsible in your purchases. You shopped for the best price.

What camera did you get?? Tell us all about it.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Angie I agree with the others, as long as its not interfering with your other household expenses thats ok to indulge. As far as the GPS I love mine and you also will be needing and using it a lot. I ended up returning the Garmin and brought Tom Tom 700 I love it!! I wouldn't leave home without it..lol I have a bluetooth but I can't get use to it so the darn thing sits on my dresser.. lol

Angie you have spent your money wisley and as my favorite financial advisor on tv Susie Orman would say on her can I afford it segement!! You have been approved!! so enjoy ....
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Congratulations on your purchases and with being able to purchase them at great savings. I know how you feel Angie, I always feel guilty when I spend money even when I've saved up for it. I'm so use to saving that when I spend, I feel so guilty.

We both need to learn 'we can't take it with us' and enjoy our purchases.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I think that you deserve a pat on the back for working and saving for what you want instead of putting it on a credit card. That's a very good financial move. Don't feel guilty about getting what you've saved for because that's what you WERE saving for. Enjoy it! Congratulations on all of your great buys!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Congratulations on your purchases and with being able to purchase them at great savings. I know how you feel Angie, I always feel guilty when I spend money even when I've saved up for it. I'm so use to saving that when I spend, I feel so guilty.

We both need to learn 'we can't take it with us' and enjoy our purchases.
I think that's my problem Janet. I'm a saver and a planner so it feels strange to just spend so much money.

Now that this stuff is out of the way, we will be saving much more aggressively for a down payment on a home. I can't imagine how happy (and worried) I'll be when we sign the paperwork for a house if buying a camera makes me feel this guilty! lol

Marilyn, here's my new camera:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...noneos450d.asp
I'm so excited about having an IS lens. It makes a huge difference in quality. I'll eventually get an even better lens if I keep doing weddings, but for now, this one will do just fine. There are lots of improvements between my current camera and this one, but it's all technical stuff that probably wouldn't mean much to those who aren't really into photography.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
Old 08-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That looks like a really nice camera, Angie! I can't wait to see some of your pictures!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
That looks like a really nice camera, Angie! I can't wait to see some of your pictures!!!!
I'll post some when it gets here.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:46 AM   #10
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Wow, Angie, that looks like an amazing camera. I was wondering if your photographer boss had converted you to Nikon. Looks like he hasn't!!

Your Canon looks awesome!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
Dobie

Looks like a great camera.

It's also nice to see a young person that is so concerned about her finances, so many of our young these days have gotten themselves into unmanagable debt.
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote