4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Relationships

Old 08-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Pack mentality

I've been studying my dogs in an attempt to learn more about pack mentality and the dogs individually.
It was obvious that Ava is queen. She looks the part, acts the part, and it's just assumed that all will bow down to her highness.
Hickory has risen in the ranks as her self confidence has increased, and has assumed the role of second in command. I was glad to see her pull off such a rank, and surprised she's come this far already.
Jesse wants very badly to be queen, but is too young, immature and annoying for the others to take her seriously. When she's shared a run with Gypsy she assumed the role, but now that they're all in the big run together, she's gotten knocked back down to size by both Ava and Hickory. It really upsets her to see Ava playing with and taking an interest in Gypsy... they had quite a confrontation over it tonight. Jesse never stood a chance.
Gypsy is a smart little cookie, and decided that now that she's in with the big dogs, she must befriend Ava and be submissive to all. They all tolerate her puppyish antics and play nicely with her.
Chip doesn't even bother to try to have a rank. He's the only male among 4 females, so just bides his time until one of them come into heat and then he steps up. He just wants to be loved by all. lol
Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
It fun to watch how the pack mentality works. Here, Emilee is the one in charge of the females, but they all bow down to Joey. Seems like Emilee, Joey, and Fancy tolerate Gidget, but don't really like her. Emilee and Fancy play quite a bit with each other, but leave Gidget on the sidelines. I think most of it is Gidget's fault though, even as a puppy, she didn't like to play very much. She mostly stood back and barked at the others while they played.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

We just have 2 now, and all they do is bicker and fight. They are so jealous of each other!!! Chase has always been weird though. He comes to you and obviously wants to be picked up. When you reach for him he moves just out of your reach. If he does stay where you can reach him, about half the time he growls at you and may even bite. Sometimes he loves the attention and seems to beam that you picked him up and he's being petted. It's weird. He's very jealous of Zoe, but it's his own fault. Who wants to deal with a grouch? We do try to give him lots of attention, we aren't giving up on him.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
jrsygal37
Donating 4WT Yakker

I am having a very tough time with this now. Jersey who we have had since 10 weeks is now 17 months and has gotten very territorial/aggressive with my other Yorkies. They used to all get along great and all still do - all but Jersey who seems to have decided she'd rather be an only. I am at my wits end. I do not want to rehome her but feel that she may be better in a home without other pets. She is such a great girl. loves to ride in the car, walk, play and she's very smart and pottty trained. But she's like a 5 lb. Pit Bull whenver the girls even walk by her when she's in her mood. I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid she will hurt or kill one of them. I'm told that she is establishing her alpha and sometimes it comes down to her being better as an only dog.

Im just heartbroken
Elaine
jrsygal37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Janet

Elaine, my Emilee was like that for a while. I was very strict with her...even grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and looked her in the eye and said no. I caught her everytime and corrected her even if I had to chase her down to do it, because sometimes as soon as I got up, she knew she was in trouble and would take off.

About the only time she gets in that mood now is at the very beginning of her heat cycle and I quickly nip it. Everything is really good now.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
jrsygal37
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Elaine, my Emilee was like that for a while. I was very strict with her...even grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and looked her in the eye and said no. I caught her everytime and corrected her even if I had to chase her down to do it, because sometimes as soon as I got up, she knew she was in trouble and would take off.

About the only time she gets in that mood now is at the very beginning of her heat cycle and I quickly nip it. Everything is really good now.
Thanks Janet. I'm going to continue to work with her. I was supposed to take her to PA this Sunday to a gal with a Yorkie Rescue but honestly I just can't do it. I cried and cried all week. It's just been a terrible week. It was a year yesterday that I had to put my Newman down after he lost his battle with cancer. Newman was my first Yorkie and he was almost 11 yrs. old. Then Jersey. Giving her up was as hard as hard as the day we had to put Newman to sleep. I pray that I can correct this. She is so vicious and I'm so afraid she will kill my little Lilly. Jersey is 5 lb.s and Lilly is only 3.5 lbs. and not a mean bone in her body.

Thanks again.
Elaine
jrsygal37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Janet

Try being really firm and I mean firm with her each and everytime she pulls a mean stunt. Let her know YOU are in charge. It took just a little while for Emilee to get the idea that I wasn't going to let her get away with it and she's just great now.